mitja

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005

I have been using Windows Messenger and had only recently downloaded MSN
Messenger and started using it. Now everytime I connect to the internet
Windows Messenger starts and I have to manually start MSN Messenger. I don't
want to use Windows Messenger, just the MSN Messenger. Can somebody tell me
how to make MSN Messenger to start automatically when I connect to the
internet.

Thanks.

Greetings,

Firstly, disable Windows Messenger by opening it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and
click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows
starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as
'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the
background' (depending on version).

Then, load MSN Messenger, click the Tools menu, then Options, then General category, and make
sure 'Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows' is selected.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Mitja" <Mitja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been using Windows Messenger and had only recently downloaded MSN
> Messenger and started using it. Now everytime I connect to the internet
> Windows Messenger starts and I have to manually start MSN Messenger. I don't
> want to use Windows Messenger, just the MSN Messenger. Can somebody tell me
> how to make MSN Messenger to start automatically when I connect to the
> internet.
>
> Thanks.

mitja

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005

Thanks for your help Jonathan. I have however another question for you. I
have set up MSN Messenger to start when I connect to the internet. In Tools,
Options, General I enabled the "Allow automatic sign in when connected to the
Internet", while the "Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows"
option is disabled. Is there an option to make MSN Messenger to automatically
close when I disconnect my internet connection. When I close my internet
connection the "Connect to" dialog box keeps showing up because MSN Messenger
want to connect to the internet.

Thanks again.

Mitja