Sign in with
Your question

Far Cry - Still Playing

Last response: in Video Games
March 8, 2006 4:25:40 AM

Its funny you know. We all have our fav games etc., and I'm not the biggest fan of FPS games but Far Cry really has been enjoyable for me the third time round - particularly on the more difficult levels.

The opening levels and their scenery is truly spectacular looking. That idealistic "jungle paradise with clear blue water and crystal white beaches" is a terrific setting for a FPS.

That said though, I cant clock the game above the "challenging" game setting. :oops: 

The point of this thread? Well, I wanted to know what other FPS games I could pick up for a reasonable price that are similarly enjoyable to Far Cry. Anybody got any good tips? I know HL2 is meant to be good. I loved the first one. Guys told me that Doom3 is not worth it, though.

More about : cry playing

March 10, 2006 1:23:30 PM

Hmm.. a FPS to play:

Hl2, Hl2 Lost Coast... i think its the only good games now.

games u should not play:

Doom3, Quake 4

The game which u shoud wait for:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R :) 
March 10, 2006 5:07:34 PM

I've been waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for some years now :cry: 

I wonder if it will be released before Duke Nuke'm forever... 8O
Related resources
March 10, 2006 6:05:32 PM

Quote:
Duke Nuke'm forever

What about this one!? I have heard about this game before S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and what :?

My schoolmates which are more interested in stalker said that they had started Stalker project in 2000y or earlier... i dont beleve them at all, coz it is too long (i thought) but the unofficial sources really had said in ~2000 that they are starting to make new game called Stalker :o .

Whatever.. i think that they had started in 2D and now they are still remaking it to new graphic :lol: 
March 10, 2006 7:47:29 PM

Quote:
the A.I in far cry look move and sound stupid. the A.i in hl2 meanwhile sound , look and move well.

Well, I think the actual AI in farcry is really ok (not quite hl2, but good) it is the voice acting for that AI that is dumb... "I'm going to shoot you in the face!" to name one witty tagline from a henchman as he runs towards you. lol

I agree that hl2 is killer, best fps in last 3 years hands down. (yes, better than farcry as good as that was)

FEAR is very cool, the AI is frickin amazing and the raw action and effects are sweet... having said that the levels are kinda blah compared to farcry or hl2. Graphics are still amazing, just not that "big" feel of the other 2, kinda clastrophobic.

Agree that d3 and q4 are dull.

Try battlefield2 if you dont mind online games. graphics are good and gameplay kicks a$$.
March 18, 2006 11:44:12 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Online gaming is the next step for me. I tried to utilise the "portforwarding" web site to get UT2004 running but there was one step in the process that stuffed up for me because of my ip's details and as such I gave up on it.

Of all things, I'm enjoying a bit of Diablo 2 online but my interest in that is waning.
March 20, 2006 1:55:11 PM

yes, foolish of me not to give kudos to UT. onslaught is a killer game online, and i have played that almost religiously up until bf2. Still fire it up now and again. waiting for ut2007 later this year.
March 24, 2006 5:38:56 PM

I agree, I been waiting for STALKER TOO and can't wait for it to come out. The following games are games that are going to be killer.

STALKER
PREY
SIN EPISODES
HALF LIFE 2 "Aftermath"
UT2007
Gears of War
And any game in the Unreal Engine 3.0

Also look for Project Offset "the engine looks killer"
March 25, 2006 9:08:14 PM

I have given up on stalker. If it comes it comes. But you need to check out Crysis made by Crytek the same people who made FarCry. You can download a trailer at gamespot it looks bad ass.
April 1, 2006 11:28:43 PM

Half-Life 2!!!! I have played it through three times now and could keep on going.
April 4, 2006 5:06:46 AM

I agree with cisco. Crysis looks heads and shoulders above everything else to come out. Far Cry was a huge step in graphics and Crysis looks to follow with another huge leap.
April 4, 2006 12:52:14 PM

I didn't even know about crysis until this thread and now I can't freaking wait.

I am also looking forward to any game that is utilizing the unreal engine 3.0 technology.

Sin Episodes should be release anytime in the next week or two.
April 4, 2006 1:55:25 PM

one that I forgot to mention: Tron 2.0

Any geek worth his salt needs to play that game. circa 2003, graphics firmly in dx9 sm2.0 era and look freakin awesome. Got the tron "glow" and all. Same actors/music composers/art designers from the movie. great fps, especially w/ the discs. Light cycles are a blast. Multiplayer was fun but no-one is online anymore.

PC gamer gave it a 90% and had no less than 2 issues dedicated to it... and yet the game never did well. Made by Monolith (FEAR, NOLF/NOLF2 - also great games to check out)

To make a point on how badly I was wanting that game: I braved a midnight release party for Lord of the Rings on DVD (2 towers I think) just to get the first copy of Tron. Stood in line w/ ppl dressed as hobits and wizards... (Yes, I am a nerd-fanboy of tron)

When you go from the vegas-like neon of the "internet" city in the game to a run-down 486 comp it is helarious. Tons of jokes and such that only comp geeks will get. Have played through it twice and loved it. Thinking about running through it again just b/c it was so much fun. ;) 
April 4, 2006 2:04:09 PM

Hmmm.... Never knew about Tron 2.0

F.E.A.R. was a really good game, the engine kickazz but the thing I didnt like was the fact it got repetitious. However in the end it got good because they changed it up.

When did Tron come out?

And does anyone have any info on Duke Nukem Forever? Are they still making it? If so what engine are they going to use?

Maybe they are going with the Unreal Engine 3.0 on DNF.

I know it is stupid to ask and wait for that game, but you know its going to be good.

For some reason 3drealms was pretty good at making games and seemed to really care about making something unique. Example Prey seemed have done a lot with the Doom3 engine.
April 4, 2006 2:12:32 PM

tron 2.0 came out in '03... same time as two towers on dvd. great game, check it out.
June 23, 2006 2:46:22 AM

IMO the best FPS games are
Hl2, hl2-episode1, fear and farcry
sin episodes is pretty good aswell
quake4 isnt that bad bad doom3 sucks
June 24, 2006 7:57:45 PM

Just finished playing FarCry again [about the 6th time now], with the 1.40 High Definition patch and that was really enjoyable, its a Beta patch and has some glitches in it but nothing unplayable, the graphics are unbelievable though, played on my rig with everything maxxed out, truly awesome, caught myself just stopping to look around.

There are minimum requirements video card wise to be able to even play it in 1.40 HiDef patch, you'd have to make sure you meet those requirements to even be able to play it.

F.E.A.R. is good but sometimes the Auto Save feature slows the game at the wrong time.

Aliens vs Predator 2 is a great FPS and is really 3 games in one, I love to play as the Marine but its a dark game and gets really intense at times, and sometimes you catch yourself with your heart pounding with excitement, especially when the times come you're facing the Aliens running at you 1 on the ceiling, 1 on the wall, and 1 on the floor.

A vs P 2 is definitely not a game for the squeemish and it has an expansion pack available Primal Hunt.

Call of Duty 2 is good!

Serious Sam 2 was OK at first but it sucks the more you play it, Croteam took all those years to try and top Second Encounter and blew it, IMO that is, some actually like it.

Tron 2.0 is good but no big deal

Breed is good and I've really enjoyed it but you command a squad and no matter how good you are, if they get killed the game is over, there was a few times I commanded them to stay in one location and defend their perimeter, and went by myself killed everything and came back and got them.

Area 51 is OK but no big deal

Chrome is OK but no big deal

Pariah is no big deal

Soldier of Fortune 2 is OK but I really liked the first one better.

Hopefully soon we'll get a new descent FPS to play for the PC, but for now things are a little slow.

Games I have but don't play because I just don't like them and to me they were a waste of money are Battlefield 2, Quake 4, Sin Episodes, Riddick, Marine Sharpshooter 2.

Never was a HL fan at all!

This is just my opinion Bomber, I like FPS that respond instantly with great 360 degree environment, no stalling or auto saving crap, I also don't like the team playing where you have to be careful not to shoot the friendlies, just turn me loose in an environment that if it moves kill it!

I know some will not agree with what I've said here to you, but I'm not posting this to start some kind of agruement, so for anyone wanting to argue and tell me how lame my personal preferences are this Fock Off is for you! 8)

Hope you are having a great day Bomber !!! Ryan
June 24, 2006 8:26:45 PM

Quote:
J

Ryan

Holy crap, you need to die :p 

- HL, HL2 and episode one is very good and good replay valuel. With
Counterstrike source, defenitly worth it.
- Sin episode 1 may be short, but fun as hell can't wait for episode 2
- Fear is a good game as well, as for replay mmmm yeah maybe so but I would recommend trying it out.
- Doom3 is good but for replay value.....nah after first play it's sucks :p 
- Prey demo, *whistle* the game is nice. Will buy it.
- BF2, well I'll say...I rather play CS:S. It's okay but I got tired after 5 weeks.

So overall I love HL2, played it 3 times. When I got episode one, I went back to play the original again and then to episode one. With CS:S is a big plus :) 

I'm so looking forward to Prey in couple of week
June 26, 2006 3:51:48 AM

Quote:
I like FPS that respond instantly with great 360 degree environment, no stalling or auto saving crap, I also don't like the team playing where you have to be careful not to shoot the friendlies, just turn me loose in an environment that if it moves kill it!
Quote:
F.E.A.R. is good but sometimes the Auto Save feature slows the game at the wrong time.

And that would be why they make different kinds of games. Personally, I agree w/ you on the response... this is why FEAR, while a great game that has incredible AI, that autosave "pause" right before any firefight kinda ruined some of the tension for me.

However, I like both the "kill all that moves" games as well as the more tactical "no friendly fire" types. The first 2 RainbowSix and the first and third Ghost Recon games are great. (granted, the third one GR:AW doesn't really have friendlies to watch for per-se) So are games like FarCry and AvP. (for the kill-em-all types) My only issue w/ the kill-em-all games like Doom3 and such is that they get boreing after a while. (but then online w/ Quake/UT never dies)

Quote:
Tron 2.0 is good but no big deal

It is great if you are a Tron movie fan. If not then you lose some of the "feel" of it. Disks and light cycles are still cool though. For a Tron geek (as I am) it is the best thing since calculator watches. ;) 

Quote:
Hopefully soon we'll get a new descent FPS to play for the PC, but for now things are a little slow.
Quote:

Well, GhostRecon AW (mentioned above) is a great new game. For new games though, if you dont like team play (GRAW), friendlies (BF2), or deep stories (HL: Ep1) that kinda limits you. Again, that is why there are different types, just making an observation here. (perhaps Prey will be up your alley? it looks good for a run-and-gun game, lame story aside)

All of the games you like above I agree are great, and I also agree w/ most of your dislikes. HL and sequels however are titles that I feel reign as the most complete games ever to be made. They have deep story lines, great intense action, good ambient tension... and most of all it never gets dull.

In addition; currently I do not see a more versatile graphics engine then Source (HL2) Even oblivion w/ all its hype pales w/ facial animations. Responsive, fluid, action-packed, deep. Nothin better even looking to the horizon IMO.

I am not being argumenative here, just giving additional ideas. ;) 
June 26, 2006 3:58:42 PM

aree yuooo seerriooouussss, the HL2 Ai are so F*****G stupid. they run into each other and pile themselves up its so simple even on teh hardest mode. yes Farcrys Ai wasnt the best or brightest what they usually did was stick together and hid behid objects, likes trees and shit. i also think the FEAR Ai is friggin amazing ok so there are 2 pathes i nade in the hall and a bookshelf and all these other racks fall over, i didnt notice the second guy sneek behind and around the wall, so the guy actually crawls under the bookshelf and i kill him but then the other guy who went around killed me...it pissed me off they outwitted me lol. i have also been wating for stalker for over 5 years now, they have been playable beta since 2003 i dont understand what the fuck they are doing when the engine has been done such a long time ago. and i actually really liked quake 4, sure it was pretty linnear but things changed up later on in the game like when your actually in the strogg headquarters with all the crazy humans organs and stuff. yeh doom 3 is pretty bad, but i lovveee the prey demo. Good Luck, finding your game.
June 26, 2006 4:43:19 PM

Quote:
Just finished playing FarCry again [about the 6th time now], with the 1.40 High Definition patch and that was really enjoyable, its a Beta patch and has some glitches in it but nothing unplayable, the graphics are unbelievable though, played on my rig with everything maxxed out, truly awesome, caught myself just stopping to look around.

where do you get the patch from? is it only for windows 64?, ive just tried to find it google didnt show anything. im gonna give this game another try i got to the trigens last time and then put it down.
June 26, 2006 7:26:48 PM

Quote:

where do you get the patch from? is it only for windows 64?, ive just tried to find it google didnt show anything. im gonna give this game another try i got to the trigens last time and then put it down.

Discovered it through here.

Whether I was able to access all the patch is capable of I really don't know as far as Nvidia GPUs are concerned, however the graphics were amazing, the patch has some negative features like some guns not firing their secondary weapon, and the rocket launcher is disabled, but the fact that ammo limitation is unlocked definitely makes up for the weapons that aren't responding.

If you install the patch, to get rid of it requires an uninstall and reinstall of the game itself so make sure you're not installing it over any saved games or you will loose them.

The downloaded patch comes with a read me to tell you how to install it and special activating instructions for ATI, Have fun!
June 26, 2006 8:04:55 PM

thx man, downloading it now.
June 27, 2006 1:54:00 PM

I installed all the patches up to 1.3 I believe if I remember correctly then did the 1.4 .

Remember this time when you get to the Trigens you will have unlimited ammo, but don't under estimate the Monkey Trigens shoot them from as far away as you can, they can jump an unbelievable distance and take you out with 1 hit if you don't have any armor on.
June 27, 2006 5:56:56 PM

ok cool, ill try it.

on my laptop at the moment, fixing my pc cause i broke the bios with a ram timing mistake and havnt reset it back yet(i can upload the bios from a CD) i accidently set my timings to 2.5-2-2-8 lol, wich caused my bios to brake, now i need to reset the cmos. :oops: 
June 29, 2006 6:57:27 PM

Have your tried out the mod community for Far Cry? There are some single player maps that are quite good (and a number that are not but look for ratings). I've encountered several that were as good as the original game, including use of lighting effects, plot line, and so on. That's extended Far Cry for me by quite a lot.

Gwielgi
June 30, 2006 1:02:50 AM

I couldn't play Far Cry with my crap system, and punny Vidcard, so one day when i upgrade my PC i will get that game and see how nice it is. lol
July 3, 2006 2:14:33 AM

a GAME TO WAIT FOR : PROJECT OFFSET

this one has amaizing graphix, its not related to fear but fear comapared to it looks like crap(sorry), and it pawns oblivion totaly.
check it out www.projectoffset.com

its a fantasy FPS (posibly also 3rd person view as well as 1st)
u can ride on dragons, trols, comand catapults, itll be a tactical game where u comand others and get ranks , i think itll be awsome, and there is i think a 20 minute demo of it on G4TV site

another tile les visual but still:

BATTLEFIELD 2142

what can i say? lol batelfield in the future, with mehs and otehr "stuff" like that check out ggoles /ign's/ gamespot videos there was one 21 minute E3 video that gives u all the info about the "TITAN" mode in which u have to atack a flying transporter while defending ur own to do that u have to take over silos that fire rockets every 2 minutes to the enemy silo, and then when the shields of the titans are down u have to get shot in the air to get onboard the titan , then u have to fight threw the coridors to place bombs on 3 decks, and then u gain acces to the main core which u have to destroy then u have to get of the exploding titan to win(get bonus points) all that with a complete ranking system adn loads of unlockables ( i think 4 times or 2 times mroe than in batelfield 2, i might be mistaken)
in game u cn use cloaking like predator, and EMP granades to disable the mehs, it looks soso but the gameplay will rock ...hopefuly, lol wow i wrote a lot on this game lol , there are atleast 3/4 more niec games coming up in 2007 but i forgot the titles and to be honest these 2 look nice

btw the SUPREME COMANDER looks sweet btu its a strategy game
July 3, 2006 10:49:32 AM

one major problem with those project offset videos i just watched, too much bump mapping and light mapping, even the picture on there website has bump mapping on the hills.
July 3, 2006 6:12:05 PM

why is that an issue? just curious
July 4, 2006 10:31:07 AM

Quote:
why is that an issue? just curious

im not a big fan of it, it just doesnt look right to me, i would prefer them to be carved out in polys, but i recognise that would be a major performance hit.
July 4, 2006 6:32:10 PM

o.ok somewhere i read that some objects can be interacted with , wals smashed and such so maby they wont be
July 5, 2006 11:38:46 PM

thank jesus!!!!!!!! i was juuusstt about to check their site. bit still...2007...gay, fucking 5 year development *mumble grumble* aiiiee cant wair, thank you.
July 28, 2006 6:38:27 AM

You have to play HL2. I can't believe you haven't. Prey is also worth a buy.
July 28, 2006 1:41:53 PM

Prey was just average to me. graphics were ho-hum. (doom3 engine does light really well, but texture/geometry kinda sucks) and the gameplay was pretty standard id shooter fare in that you just move forward until you trip a "trigger" and then back up shooting whatever follows you.

wash-rinse-repeat.

JMO ;) 
August 1, 2006 10:57:40 PM

Quote:
Have your tried out the mod community for Far Cry? There are some single player maps that are quite good (and a number that are not but look for ratings). I've encountered several that were as good as the original game, including use of lighting effects, plot line, and so on. That's extended Far Cry for me by quite a lot.

Gwielgi

Nah, I haven't actually. Wow, if its done that for you then I'm damn sure I'll enjoy it.
August 1, 2006 10:59:09 PM

Quote:
I couldn't play Far Cry with my crap system, and punny Vidcard, so one day when i upgrade my PC i will get that game and see how nice it is. lol

:lol: 

Definitely do, mate. It will be in the bargain bin basement price box by the time you do though. :) 
August 1, 2006 11:00:14 PM

Yeah, cool man, I'll check it out - all of them.
August 2, 2006 5:25:59 AM

S.T.A.L.K.E.R's release date has been confirmed by THQ the publishers, check the news before posting, beisdes S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is gonna kill ALL other FPS/RPG games for ever :twisted:
!