Help, Recommended ASUS P2B-F Motherboard Upgrade

G

I currently have a PII 350MHz, ASUS P2B-F mobo, 128mb SDRAM system that I want to upgrade to a faster processor.

ASUSTek notes P2B-F motherboard is compatible to PIII 600MHz @ 100MHz FSB. Have seen a forum post that indicated that it could take a PIII 800MHz @ 133MHz FSB with proper cooling. Same post indicated that a "Coppermine" cpu wasn't an issue either.

My question is ... Have any of you upgraded the processor on this mobo and what settings did you use (if any) for the jumpers by the CPU Bus Frequency and CPU Core?

If it will run a faster 800MHz @ 133MHz FSB processor then it may be worth an upgrade.

Thanks
RC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It will run the PIII 1000EB at 133MHz bus speed, as long as you have PC133 memory and a reasonbly good video card.

The only issue is that some older revsiions of the board would not support the lower voltage of the Coppermine CPU (any PIII that ends in an E or EB). Hopefully you have a newer revision board. If not, you can still run the PIII 1000EB, but you need to modify the detected voltage, I recomend 1.85v. You can do this either with an adjustable slotket or with a standard FC-PGA slotket and a jumper wire.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?