Can Windows XP be installed on an Xbox 360???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrancerNick26

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2005
Has anyone gotten an Xbox 360 yet and put win xp on the hard drive. Theoretically shouldn't windows be able to run on a xbox 360. If so anyone have some benchmarks that they care to show??? I saw on anadntech that they dissected it to look inside the 360 which was interesting lot of work to get inside. I was wondering what scores xbox 360 gets and what 3d mark 2005 score it gets.???

TrancerNick26

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2005
I needed to know if Xp can be installed on it and any benchmarks not a stupid response :( thanks for trying player but not what I needed

Tripme

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
No, XP cannot be installed on the 360. If it were that easy to install and run xp on the 360 you would already know.

QuantumCompPro

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
haha...

Has anyone gotten an Xbox 360 yet and put win xp on the hard drive. Theoretically shouldn't windows be able to run on a xbox 360. If so anyone have some benchmarks that they care to show??? I saw on anadntech that they dissected it to look inside the 360 which was interesting lot of work to get inside. I was wondering what scores xbox 360 gets and what 3d mark 2005 score it gets.???

Where is this THEORETICALLY coming from. Cause it wouldn't work even if you suggested it would. Its not a PC and its not the Original Xbox. Modding xbox 360 is much harder now since all the parts are custom.

Dude, and one more thing, if it looks like a PC, Feels like a PC, doesn't mean its JUST A PC. 3dmark05 is FOR PC's only.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006

8O Where would you get the drivers from?

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
nice try TracerNick26, BUT no windows XP will NOT run on a xbox360. there are numerous reasons why it wont work.
first windows was written for x86 cpu not powerpc (ever see somebody boot windows xp on the non intel apples???)
hardware wise there are no drivers for the custom xbox 360 hardware even if they look like pc parts. without drivers, you'll be lucky if anything works.
IF you do want to run a OS on the xbox360, the safest option is probably linux/unix

SO YES THEORETICALLY it can be possible if MS puts support of XBOX360 for windows XP but there's like a possible of -100% that they would do that since the cost of rewritting windows XP is probably more then you make in you whole life or your life x10.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
No it can not. For the same reason you couldn't on a Mac until recently when they changed to Intel chips. Before they used IBM.

Let's try to be a little bit constructive...

Windows (all versions) can't execute on a PowerPC chip - that rules out original Mac G series and more recent. Since the Xbox 360 is built upon a PowerPC chip, Windows XP can't execute natively. The rest of the software may be supported one way or another, but we can't even get there.

Mac OS 9 is PowerPC-centric. Same as above.

Mac OS X could be made to run on such a system, however PPC Macs require a custom Apple BIOS. They won't start on anything else.

Only PPC Linux with a custom bootloader (or a BSD Unix) may be compiled to run on these machines. Once you have those running though, you may want to try running an x86 emulator (such as qemu or VMware) to see if you can install WinXP on this - it will go at a snail's pace, and be very unstable and limited, but it might run.

Marauder

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I needed to know if Xp can be installed on it and any benchmarks not a stupid response :( thanks for trying player but not what I needed

Talk about stupid posts. For you to even post this questins/scenario is totaly retarded.

Do a little slef research/reading being you post retarded questions like that on this foruem.

Marauder

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

Talk about stupid posts. For you to even post this questins/scenario is totaly retarded.

Do a little slef research/reading being you post retarded questions like that on this foruem. I mean come on. Do you reall think that Microsoft, with all of it's resources, would be so stupid?

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

8O Where would you get the drivers from?

Yeah no joke, you cant just call microsoft and go like, "sup yo can you send me the Xp driver disc for my 360. Thanks!"

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
lol, you guys are funny but wouldnt it be the ultimate to be able to run a media center "pc" from your games console, then you wouldnt need to have one pc for living room fun and one somewhere else for everything else u wanna do on the pc...

Status
Not open for further replies.