Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can Windows XP be installed on an Xbox 360???

Last response: in Video Games
November 18, 2005 5:10:12 PM

Has anyone gotten an Xbox 360 yet and put win xp on the hard drive. Theoretically shouldn't windows be able to run on a xbox 360. If so anyone have some benchmarks that they care to show??? I saw on anadntech that they dissected it to look inside the 360 which was interesting lot of work to get inside. I was wondering what scores xbox 360 gets and what 3d mark 2005 score it gets.???
December 1, 2005 5:04:12 PM

Lol I dont think i'll try that.....

Too dumb and I dont wa nna break it
December 1, 2005 9:53:38 PM

I needed to know if Xp can be installed on it and any benchmarks not a stupid response :(  thanks for trying player but not what I needed
Related resources
March 1, 2006 2:28:33 PM

No, XP cannot be installed on the 360. If it were that easy to install and run xp on the 360 you would already know.
March 14, 2006 7:29:49 AM

haha...

Quote:
Has anyone gotten an Xbox 360 yet and put win xp on the hard drive. Theoretically shouldn't windows be able to run on a xbox 360. If so anyone have some benchmarks that they care to show??? I saw on anadntech that they dissected it to look inside the 360 which was interesting lot of work to get inside. I was wondering what scores xbox 360 gets and what 3d mark 2005 score it gets.???

Where is this THEORETICALLY coming from. Cause it wouldn't work even if you suggested it would. Its not a PC and its not the Original Xbox. Modding xbox 360 is much harder now since all the parts are custom.

Dude, and one more thing, if it looks like a PC, Feels like a PC, doesn't mean its JUST A PC. 3dmark05 is FOR PC's only.
March 14, 2006 3:55:14 PM

Quote:

8O Where would you get the drivers from?
March 14, 2006 9:37:45 PM

doesn't that defeat the point of owning a 360 over a computer?...
March 15, 2006 10:19:12 AM

Quote:
doesn't that defeat the point of owning a 360 over a computer?...

I think he wanted to do it to run 3dMark to compare the 360 to the PC.
March 15, 2006 6:49:10 PM

Besides Xbox 360 has a Power PC chip in it similar to the one in mac's so yea no Windows XP on Xbox 360. heh if you wanted a computer you could have used the 800 bucks to buy a decent one :roll:
March 15, 2006 8:01:13 PM

nice try TracerNick26, BUT no windows XP will NOT run on a xbox360. there are numerous reasons why it wont work.
first windows was written for x86 cpu not powerpc (ever see somebody boot windows xp on the non intel apples???)
hardware wise there are no drivers for the custom xbox 360 hardware even if they look like pc parts. without drivers, you'll be lucky if anything works.
IF you do want to run a OS on the xbox360, the safest option is probably linux/unix

SO YES THEORETICALLY it can be possible if MS puts support of XBOX360 for windows XP but there's like a possible of -100% that they would do that since the cost of rewritting windows XP is probably more then you make in you whole life or your life x10.
March 22, 2006 7:10:15 PM

Ok, since XP is out of the question... could you put the PPC Mac OSX on it?
March 25, 2006 4:15:33 AM

No it can not. For the same reason you couldn't on a Mac until recently when they changed to Intel chips. Before they used IBM.
April 4, 2006 3:52:13 PM

Since it has the 64bit chip in it would it be easier to install XP 64bit? Or maybe just turn it into a MAC. lol
April 5, 2006 9:14:48 AM

Let's try to be a little bit constructive...

Windows (all versions) can't execute on a PowerPC chip - that rules out original Mac G series and more recent. Since the Xbox 360 is built upon a PowerPC chip, Windows XP can't execute natively. The rest of the software may be supported one way or another, but we can't even get there.

Mac OS 9 is PowerPC-centric. Same as above.

Mac OS X could be made to run on such a system, however PPC Macs require a custom Apple BIOS. They won't start on anything else.

Only PPC Linux with a custom bootloader (or a BSD Unix) may be compiled to run on these machines. Once you have those running though, you may want to try running an x86 emulator (such as qemu or VMware) to see if you can install WinXP on this - it will go at a snail's pace, and be very unstable and limited, but it might run.
April 23, 2006 1:43:22 AM

Quote:
I needed to know if Xp can be installed on it and any benchmarks not a stupid response :(  thanks for trying player but not what I needed

Talk about stupid posts. For you to even post this questins/scenario is totaly retarded.

Do a little slef research/reading being you post retarded questions like that on this foruem.
April 23, 2006 1:44:16 AM

Quote:

Talk about stupid posts. For you to even post this questins/scenario is totaly retarded.

Do a little slef research/reading being you post retarded questions like that on this foruem. I mean come on. Do you reall think that Microsoft, with all of it's resources, would be so stupid?
July 16, 2006 7:44:09 AM

Well i am going to install DOS on it :lol:  and when PS3 will be released i will install directX in it :lol:  8)
July 18, 2006 9:32:40 AM

why on earth you would want to put XP on a 360 is beyond me!
July 20, 2006 11:26:16 AM

Quote:
why on earth you would want to put XP on a 360 is beyond me!

casuse if you cant put windows onto a 360 and turn it into a pc, what was the point in getting the 360? :p 
August 21, 2006 12:41:07 AM

dude thats impossible. windows wouldnt no how to respond at all.
October 6, 2006 7:09:48 AM

Quote:

8O Where would you get the drivers from?

Yeah no joke, you cant just call microsoft and go like, "sup yo can you send me the Xp driver disc for my 360. Thanks!"
November 30, 2006 6:04:47 PM

lol, you guys are funny but wouldnt it be the ultimate to be able to run a media center "pc" from your games console, then you wouldnt need to have one pc for living room fun and one somewhere else for everything else u wanna do on the pc...
October 16, 2007 5:41:59 PM

I'd be happy if someone would figure out how to use USB controllers on either X BOX.
October 16, 2007 5:43:01 PM

I'd be happy if someone would figure out how to use USB controllers on either X BOX.
October 16, 2007 5:51:24 PM

hey great idea, im just about to install vista ultimate on my ipod nano.... if I link 2 ipods together 'THEORETICALLY' I could make them run in RAID 0, with dual VGA mode with 4 headphones giving me almost true surround sound :D 

October 17, 2007 4:41:05 PM

I run Vista on my old LCD Dreamcast memory cards. Crysis runs like a champ. 3DM06 is hitting the low 13k's.
October 17, 2007 4:55:38 PM

I installed Vista on my toaster. It doesn't toast bread anymore, but it does have very pretty buttons.
October 25, 2007 9:00:06 PM

Quote:
I installed Vista on my toaster. It doesn't toast bread anymore, but it does have very pretty buttons

[:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1]

Hardy har har
Anonymous
July 9, 2008 5:20:57 AM

Has anyone thought about installing Sun Solaris 10 on it? that's an opensource project.
July 9, 2008 7:40:51 AM

diplomat696 said:
lol, you guys are funny but wouldnt it be the ultimate to be able to run a media center "pc" from your games console, then you wouldnt need to have one pc for living room fun and one somewhere else for everything else u wanna do on the pc...

My friend did this with a mod xbox and wireless.
July 10, 2008 1:53:12 AM

TrancerNick26 said:
The Xbox360 does not support x86 instructions.
January 5, 2009 9:36:17 PM

My dustbin has windows XP on it, no sound or display, but it works a charm, full instructions below.
step 1: print screen your desktop.
step 2: print the picture out on your printer.
step 3: paste the paper onto your dustbin, (laminate it first)

your dustbin has windows XP on it now.
if you want to go a little further, you could put your real computer inside the dustbin, then it has Windows XP on it and inside, you could put a "intel inside" on your bin aswell.
and if your clever enough to that, you should go to a nut house.
come on tho, XP on a 360, I'd try the MAC OSX on it, because of the HD content and Graphics support.
January 6, 2009 6:13:14 AM

Err necro?
February 21, 2009 2:28:44 PM

He doesn't want a PC, he wants to see how its performance stacks up to a PC. Anyone whose seen the same game played on the PC and 360 can tell you how it stacks up. This kid probably just made a bet or something.
February 23, 2009 11:17:46 AM

...revived 5 times now?

seriously, stop it.
March 1, 2009 3:44:54 PM

michaeljakovic said:
My dustbin has windows XP on it, no sound or display, but it works a charm, full instructions below.
step 1: print screen your desktop.
step 2: print the picture out on your printer.
step 3: paste the paper onto your dustbin, (laminate it first)

your dustbin has windows XP on it now.
if you want to go a little further, you could put your real computer inside the dustbin, then it has Windows XP on it and inside, you could put a "intel inside" on your bin aswell.
and if your clever enough to that, you should go to a nut house.
come on tho, XP on a 360, I'd try the MAC OSX on it, because of the HD content and Graphics support.

Which version of Dustbin was it ?
Mine is 4 GB ( Garbage Bags)

Will it run it ?
March 8, 2009 1:20:47 AM

I have a windows Vaccum ultimate edition installed on my dust bin and it runs 3DGarbageTruck 4.0 on it and gives crysis a 13k score and I used a xbox360 as my recycle bin.
Anonymous
April 29, 2009 10:52:32 AM

Actually it is possible i have done it to 4 360's now creating a high performance pc from a rrod 360 bought for 20 on ebay.
You will need a laptop dvd drive as a pc one wont fit into the 360 case also a 360 data transfer cable. Instructions are now posted online and yes it is a very good question most people wouldnt know how to do this.
Google 360 to pc
and youtube one of mine with xp on a 360.
Anonymous
February 13, 2010 10:57:42 PM

Quote:
Actually it is possible i have done it to 4 360's now creating a high performance pc from a rrod 360 bought for 20 on ebay.
You will need a laptop dvd drive as a pc one wont fit into the 360 case also a 360 data transfer cable. Instructions are now posted online and yes it is a very good question most people wouldnt know how to do this.
Google 360 to pc
and youtube one of mine with xp on a 360.

You hecklers are dumb. Least he has the hacker spirit. So if I was MS, and I made windows, and then a gaming console, I wonder what code I would use to run the console.

Props to the original poster.

Nothing is impossible, unless you fall off the end of the world.
Anonymous
July 11, 2010 8:34:32 AM

Way to pick on a guy for asking a question on a forum. Sad part is, you were all wrong.

It's the simple things in life that make me happy like a bunch of nerds bashing another nerd for asking a question in a place made to ask questions.
July 11, 2010 12:55:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!