Messenger spyes my mouse and kb

Hi,
I'm testing the ZA 6.0 Beta and it notifies me that Messenger 7.0 wants to
monitor my mouse movements and keyboard strokes!
Here's from ZA site:
"MSN Messenger is potentially malicious. It may be attempting to affect
other programs and cause them to do things that they would not normally not
do." End quote.

My Messenger is open, minimized and connected to MSN site but I am not using
it to communicate with anyone at the time of the incident.
Unless ZA generates false alarms (it's a Beta :), I do not see why MSN
Messenger would need to monitor my computer activity - i.e. mouse and
keyboard usage - while I am not using it directly.
I posted this just to make MSN Messenger users aware of the issue.
Michael
6 answers Last reply
More about messenger spyes mouse

    Greetings Michael,

    I'm not running any ZA beta here to check this for you, but Messenger does make use of this
    information to determine if you are idle. Although I'm not sure if this will actually remove
    the "alarm" for you-- if you click the Tools menu, then Options, under My Status uncheck
    'Show me as 'Away' when I'm inactive...' option and then click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm testing the ZA 6.0 Beta and it notifies me that Messenger 7.0 wants to monitor my mouse
    > movements and keyboard strokes!
    > Here's from ZA site:
    > "MSN Messenger is potentially malicious. It may be attempting to affect other programs and
    > cause them to do things that they would not normally not do." End quote.
    >
    > My Messenger is open, minimized and connected to MSN site but I am not using it to
    > communicate with anyone at the time of the incident.
    > Unless ZA generates false alarms (it's a Beta :), I do not see why MSN Messenger would need
    > to monitor my computer activity - i.e. mouse and keyboard usage - while I am not using it
    > directly.
    > I posted this just to make MSN Messenger users aware of the issue.
    > Michael

    Yeah,
    I did that already and ZA still shows same warning message.
    I understand the concept for polling input devices (mouse, kboard) for some
    functions such as "Away" or "Busy" (this needs to get WindowSize).
    But, while MSN Mesenger is minimized to tray and not used effectively, I
    would expect it to suspend that type of behavior - or at least to have a
    clearly defined option to disable such function other than "uncheckig"
    "Away" etc.
    Thx. for answer.
    Michael

    > Greetings Michael,
    >
    > I'm not running any ZA beta here to check this for you, but Messenger does
    > make use of this information to determine if you are idle. Although I'm
    > not sure if this will actually remove the "alarm" for you-- if you click
    > the Tools menu, then Options, under My Status uncheck 'Show me as 'Away'
    > when I'm inactive...' option and then click OK.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm testing the ZA 6.0 Beta and it notifies me that Messenger 7.0 wants
    >> to monitor my mouse movements and keyboard strokes!
    >> Here's from ZA site:
    >> "MSN Messenger is potentially malicious. It may be attempting to affect
    >> other programs and cause them to do things that they would not normally
    >> not do." End quote.
    >>
    >> My Messenger is open, minimized and connected to MSN site but I am not
    >> using it to communicate with anyone at the time of the incident.
    >> Unless ZA generates false alarms (it's a Beta :), I do not see why MSN
    >> Messenger would need to monitor my computer activity - i.e. mouse and
    >> keyboard usage - while I am not using it directly.
    >> I posted this just to make MSN Messenger users aware of the issue.
    >> Michael

    Hi Michael,

    I hope ZoneLabs will iron this out before they release it; I really doubt Microsoft will
    change the behavior.

    > Yeah,
    > I did that already and ZA still shows same warning message.
    > I understand the concept for polling input devices (mouse, kboard) for some functions such
    > as "Away" or "Busy" (this needs to get WindowSize).
    > But, while MSN Mesenger is minimized to tray and not used effectively, I would expect it to
    > suspend that type of behavior - or at least to have a clearly defined option to disable
    > such function other than "uncheckig" "Away" etc.
    > Thx. for answer.
    > Michael
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings Michael,
    >>
    >> I'm not running any ZA beta here to check this for you, but Messenger does make use of
    >> this information to determine if you are idle. Although I'm not sure if this will
    >> actually remove the "alarm" for you-- if you click the Tools menu, then Options, under My
    >> Status uncheck 'Show me as 'Away' when I'm inactive...' option and then click OK.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'm testing the ZA 6.0 Beta and it notifies me that Messenger 7.0 wants to monitor my
    >>> mouse movements and keyboard strokes!
    >>> Here's from ZA site:
    >>> "MSN Messenger is potentially malicious. It may be attempting to affect other programs
    >>> and cause them to do things that they would not normally not do." End quote.
    >>>
    >>> My Messenger is open, minimized and connected to MSN site but I am not using it to
    >>> communicate with anyone at the time of the incident.
    >>> Unless ZA generates false alarms (it's a Beta :), I do not see why MSN Messenger would
    >>> need to monitor my computer activity - i.e. mouse and keyboard usage - while I am not
    >>> using it directly.
    >>> I posted this just to make MSN Messenger users aware of the issue.
    >>> Michael

    I do not run MSN Messenger, but I just installed version 6. I tells me
    that 'Windows Messenfer' is spying on keyboard and mouse.

    I wonder what MS is up to????

    --
    HaWilliams

    Hi,

    It sounds like you're using one of the newer ZoneAlarm beta's. Messenger has a function that
    checks to see if you're idle and if you are, it sets you to away. This functionality causes
    the latest ZA to alarm you of this. Unfortunately even turning off this feature in Messenger
    still causes the alarm; it's safe to ignore it.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "HaWilliams" <HaWilliams.1th5u0@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > I do not run MSN Messenger, but I just installed version 6. I tells me
    > that 'Windows Messenfer' is spying on keyboard and mouse.
    >
    > I wonder what MS is up to????
    >

    > --
    > HaWilliams

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I have been experiencing my system locking up most all the time when the
    screen saver kicks in (WXP). I also use ZA and noted the warnings about
    keyboard/mouse being monitored. I disabled it, too. Still, the system
    would lock up. I decided to remove IM and have had no problems since. I
    can live without it. I don't particularly care that it monitors for
    activity and consider it malicious. Now happy without it and my system
    hasn't locked up yet.

    Rick J.
    Boeing sys admin.

    --