Are 'Windows Messenger' Messages Easily Intercepted?

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Is there any security built into Windows Messenger (I'm using 4.7.3001 on XP
with .NET Service) to prevent someone on the same LAN from intercepting and
reading others' messages?

If not, is this easy for a savvy hacker to do and should I assume everybody
can see the Windows Messenger messages I type?

Thanks.

Greetings,

Of course this really depends how your network is made, but, there's no encryption using the
public .NET Messenger service and messages are sent in plain-text.
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"Confused" <confused@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any security built into Windows Messenger (I'm using 4.7.3001 on XP with .NET
> Service) to prevent someone on the same LAN from intercepting and reading others' messages?
>
> If not, is this easy for a savvy hacker to do and should I assume everybody can see the
> Windows Messenger messages I type?
>
> Thanks.

As a rule of thumb, assume that anything that goes over a network is widely
open for anyone to see - unless you are the administrator who set up the
network and know what you did.
Michael
"Confused" <confused@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any security built into Windows Messenger (I'm using 4.7.3001 on
> XP with .NET Service) to prevent someone on the same LAN from intercepting
> and reading others' messages?
>
> If not, is this easy for a savvy hacker to do and should I assume
> everybody can see the Windows Messenger messages I type?
>
> Thanks.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Of course this really depends how your network is made, but,
> there's no encryption using the
> public .NET Messenger service and messages are sent in
> plain-text.
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert
> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan
> Kay.
>
> "Confused" <confused@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any security built into Windows Messenger (I'm
> using 4.7.3001 on XP with .NET
> > Service) to prevent someone on the same LAN from
> intercepting and reading others' messages?
> >
> > If not, is this easy for a savvy hacker to do and should I
> assume everybody can see the
> > Windows Messenger messages I type?
> >
> > Thanks.

How ever you could use IMsecure which alows you to sent messages
encypted, how ever i much prefer the combined efectivness of GAIM and
GAIM Encyption.

IMSecure:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_ims.jsp

GAIM: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/