  • Messenger
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 19, 2005 1:35:33 AM

How do you stop getting unsolicited messages from Windows Messenger? I
never registered or activated this service, yet I get many messages
from it every time I turn my computer on

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Turning-Windows-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1307679

More about : turning windows messenger

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:11:07 AM

Greetings,

Which "messages" are you referring to? If these messages appear with the words "Messenger
Service" in the titlebar, these are from the Messenger Service built-in to Windows (*not*
Windows Messenger). To correct this, you should upgrade to Windows XP SP2 immediately from
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, which among other issues, engages a firewall and turns
this service off.

If you really mean Windows Messenger the instant messaging application, you can disable
Windows Messenger by opening it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click
Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run
Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program
to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on
version).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert