Turning Off Windows Messenger

How do you stop getting unsolicited messages from Windows Messenger? I
never registered or activated this service, yet I get many messages
from it every time I turn my computer on

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Turning-Windows-ftopict396615.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1307679
1 answer Last reply
More about turning windows messenger

    Greetings,

    Which "messages" are you referring to? If these messages appear with the words "Messenger
    Service" in the titlebar, these are from the Messenger Service built-in to Windows (*not*
    Windows Messenger). To correct this, you should upgrade to Windows XP SP2 immediately from
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, which among other issues, engages a firewall and turns
    this service off.

    If you really mean Windows Messenger the instant messaging application, you can disable
    Windows Messenger by opening it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click
    Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run
    Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program
    to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on
    version).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "xtremess" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > How do you stop getting unsolicited messages from Windows Messenger? I
    > never registered or activated this service, yet I get many messages
    > from it every time I turn my computer on

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Turning-Windows-ftopict396615.html

Computers Messenger Microsoft Windows XP