looking to upgrade..

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
hey... i was just looking into upgrading my computer and wanted the community's opinion... im looking into an processor m/b upgrade....processor can be picked later but my question for everybody is.....which chipset??... intel's 845 seems like what i want because im still gonna be using some of my pc133 ram.... can anybody recomend a good board?

Nice people are kool...Mean people just suck :lol:

I don't think anyone in this community will recommend a P4 and sdram. If you must use sdram, I would get the athlon xp 1800 with a k7s5a motherboard that will work with either sdram or ddram. Just be sure to get a good power supply. For sdram, justdeals has a tyan s2090 mobo with intel 845 sdram chipset for $63. The P4 with sdram runs about 25% slower than ddram or rambus.

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
yea i've been thinking about all of that... i don't think rambus is worth it, ddr is too expensive... i got ddr for my other system, a 1.33 ghz tbird with kt266a chipset from msi back when ddr was forty for 256... im just looking to upgrade my other computer and looking into making it a server or something.... i just want a good board that will last a while... nothing fancy, if i wanted fancy den i would go xp and ddr.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
DDR isn't fancy, it's the only real decent ram compared to RDR and SDR. PIV/PIVa is a complete waste with SDR, you might as well get a P3 tualatin for better performance.

"a 1.33 ghz tbird with kt266a chipset from msi back when ddr was forty for 256... im just looking to upgrade my other computer and looking into making it a server or something"

If you stil have this system, and you want to upgrade it, you really don't need to right now. 256MB DDR and a 1.33Ghz Athlon T-bird is still very fast nowadaways.

If you want to "upgrade", you might as well get a half decent motherboard and DDR. SDR is almost a complete waste unless you are absolutely frugal. DDR isn't that expensive, only bout $60-80 for 256MB PC-266. If you want to get a cheap and efficient upgrade, I would suggest this.

a Via KT266a board
a stick of either 256MB or 512MB PC-266 DDR
an AXP 1600-1800+, relatively inexpensive (bout 100-150 U.S.)

A Gf3 ti200
or a Gf4 ti4200 (if you can find one)

Other than than, I would strongly suggest against SDR

"When there's a will, there's a way."

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
im guessing i wrote it wrong or you read it wrong...but i have two systems... the athlon system is find... im not planing on changing nething.... im looking to upgrade an older p2 system...basically i have tower, hdd, floppy, and cd rom...this whole discussion was for a good intel m/b... thanks for the help though... and if u could recommend a good intel board with sdram i would appreciate it... and yes i kno that sdram is slower den rambus and ddr, it's just the way im goin' because of money and how i am gonna use that computer... i don't expect to break any speed records