Blurred text in hires with a7a266

G

Hi Guys, Here's a copy of an email I have sent Asus support. I'm wondering if anyone here has some thoughts on what part of my PC could be causing this. It's down to the MB, CPU or Case/Power. Thanks & Regards, Simon
======================
In summary:

I am getting blurred - almost shadowed windows text in any resolution higher than 1024x768 @ 85Hz and 1280x1024 @ 60Hz - these are the highest settings that work without getting the blurred text.

System Config:

Asus A7A266 - BIOS version 1011
1.2G Athlon (133) - 512M DDR
Windows XP Professional
Latest drivers from asus website as of 3 APR 2002.

In Detail:

I have recently purchased a 19inch monitor - before I was running a 17inch. The 17inch was capable of no higher than 1024x768 @85Hz.

Now that I have the 19inch, I want to run at higher resolutions - 1280x1024 @ 85Hz. But I am seeing the blurred text problem.

I am running a Geforce2 MX 400 - (64M). Today I tried a voodoo3 3000, another Geforce2 MX 400 and Geforce4 (not sure what model). They all produced the same blurred text.

My 19inch monitor was tried on another machine running a Geforce4 at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz - the blurring DID NOT occur.

Another 19inch monitor (same brand) was tried on my machine - the blurring DID occur.

I tried a _PCI_ TNT2 card in my machine running at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz - the blurring DID NOT occur!!!

I have also tried completely reinstalling Windows XP without fixing the blurred text problem, but I have not tried any other OS.

My Conclusion (ie. guess!):

The problem is not with the following:
Monitor
Video Card
PCI slot/function of the motherboard

The problem _may_ be with:
AGP function of the motherboard
AGP drivers?
Bios?

I really don't know...

Blurred Text Description:

It is like the characters are casting an invisible shadow over following characters - making parts of lines of the characters appear faint or invisible. Almost like a type writer that has run out of ink, you can see the imprint, but type is faint.

You notice it most in characters which are closer together, like: www

Running at 1024x768 @ 85Hz until I find a solution.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Couple of things:

1) sure sounds like an AGP problem to me (but check my signature for a sanity check). Have you tried your original vid card on another mobo (the GF2 MX400)?

2) Have you tried these <A HREF="http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/drivers/north_agp_driver.htm" target="_new">ALI AGP drivers?</A> Not really sure if it will help your problem but it's worth a shot. There is also a similar patch on the <A HREF="http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp?l1=1&l2=10&l3=17&mid=1" target="_new">ASUS website</A> at the bottom.

3) Have you run windows update to see if Microsoft has anything that might fix the problem?

4) Here's someone who had similar problems on <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=81574f59df83b662&rnum=7" target="_new">usenet</A> maybe you should contact them to see what the outcome was.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Thanks for your response - I'm not knocking back any advice at this point.

1) I have not tried the gf2 in any other machine, I do, however, run the mentioned voodoo3 at work on a 21" monitor at 1280x1024@85hz without a problem. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

2) I have tried the drivers from ASUS website, without success. I have (now) tried the ALI ones, but they haven't helped either.

3) Windows update had no more to give me.

4) I tried the email address of the original poster - the email address no longer exists. I'll repost over there and see how I go... maybe they'll reply.

<sigh> Maybe I should take up gardening... :)

Thanks again for your response.