MSN M7 Clubhouse games

Does anyone know what would cause the games list to NOT appear in MSN
messenger 7 when you click on the games button? All active X settings in
explorer are enabled so I dont think its an active X problem.

I am able to chat with my contacts no problem so I dont think its an issue
with Norton internet security blocking anything.

I click the button and it says 'contacting service'.. then nothing happens.

When this button is clicked, whats going on in Messenger? Does this start
another program or possabbly have some advertisement element that norton may
not like? Are there any odd ports other than the normal ones used by
msnmessenger.exe that might need to be opened when this button is clicked?

thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about clubhouse games

    Greetings,

    Actually plenty of Norton users have experienced this problem. Try disabling it for a second
    and then trying.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Foo" <Foo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know what would cause the games list to NOT appear in MSN
    > messenger 7 when you click on the games button? All active X settings in
    > explorer are enabled so I dont think its an active X problem.
    >
    > I am able to chat with my contacts no problem so I dont think its an issue
    > with Norton internet security blocking anything.
    >
    > I click the button and it says 'contacting service'.. then nothing happens.
    >
    > When this button is clicked, whats going on in Messenger? Does this start
    > another program or possabbly have some advertisement element that norton may
    > not like? Are there any odd ports other than the normal ones used by
    > msnmessenger.exe that might need to be opened when this button is clicked?
    >
    > thanks.

    Thanks, Jonathan.

    I'm thinking NIS is the problem but disabling it has no effect. Only
    solution I have come up with so far is starting the machine with NIS turned
    off, uninstalling messenger and reinstalling. The it works until I turn on
    NIS then I have to go through the same process if I want to play games.

    Computers are so frustrating :(

    Thanks for the reply. I cant seem to get one by emailing support.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Actually plenty of Norton users have experienced this problem. Try disabling it for a second
    > and then trying.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Foo" <Foo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know what would cause the games list to NOT appear in MSN
    > > messenger 7 when you click on the games button? All active X settings in
    > > explorer are enabled so I dont think its an active X problem.
    > >
    > > I am able to chat with my contacts no problem so I dont think its an issue
    > > with Norton internet security blocking anything.
    > >
    > > I click the button and it says 'contacting service'.. then nothing happens.
    > >
    > > When this button is clicked, whats going on in Messenger? Does this start
    > > another program or possabbly have some advertisement element that norton may
    > > not like? Are there any odd ports other than the normal ones used by
    > > msnmessenger.exe that might need to be opened when this button is clicked?
    > >
    > > thanks.

    Jonathan,

    Do you know, does clicking that games button perhaps require referrer
    information that may be blocked by NIS? If it does, do you know what the site
    is so I could try and make a rule for it in NIS?

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Actually plenty of Norton users have experienced this problem. Try disabling it for a second
    > and then trying.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Foo" <Foo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know what would cause the games list to NOT appear in MSN
    > > messenger 7 when you click on the games button? All active X settings in
    > > explorer are enabled so I dont think its an active X problem.
    > >
    > > I am able to chat with my contacts no problem so I dont think its an issue
    > > with Norton internet security blocking anything.
    > >
    > > I click the button and it says 'contacting service'.. then nothing happens.
    > >
    > > When this button is clicked, whats going on in Messenger? Does this start
    > > another program or possabbly have some advertisement element that norton may
    > > not like? Are there any odd ports other than the normal ones used by
    > > msnmessenger.exe that might need to be opened when this button is clicked?
    > >
    > > thanks.

Games Messenger Windows XP