Are dual SLi mode graphics card worthwhile for flight Sims?

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 2:13:56 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi

I'm looking at upgrading my PC based on an AMD X2 4400 or higher.

The only "games" I play are Fly!, FS2004, DiD F22 ADF.

Is there any point in going for 2 graphics cards in SLi mode with these
sims?

Any recommendations for PCI-E cards?

Thanks a lot

Ian
August 29, 2005 2:13:57 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

The sims you have listed most likely will not benefit from SLI except
MSFS2004 which may be DX9.
"Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D etcv3$m2$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
>
> I'm looking at upgrading my PC based on an AMD X2 4400 or higher.
>
> The only "games" I play are Fly!, FS2004, DiD F22 ADF.
>
> Is there any point in going for 2 graphics cards in SLi mode with these
> sims?
>
> Any recommendations for PCI-E cards?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Ian

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 2:13:57 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
Hardwire Accel mode.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2005 6:16:21 AM

"FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
> Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
> supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
> my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
> Hardwire Accel mode.

I have no trouble getting hardware acceleration from my ATI AIW 8500DV with
any of my current sims. Isnt 3dfx voodoo? Some years ago I had a voodoo
card until it died. Got a full refund as they had a long warranty and the
shop didnt have any in stock to replace it. Boy was I pleased about that!

As SLI has no benefit for me then I guess I can settle for a single 6800 or
7800GT!! 8^)

Thanks guys!

Ian
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2005 2:24:27 PM

Ian R schrieb:
> "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
>
>>Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
>>supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
>>my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
>>Hardwire Accel mode.
>>

> I have no trouble getting hardware acceleration from my ATI AIW 8500DV with
> any of my current sims. Isnt 3dfx voodoo? Some years ago I had a voodoo
> card until it died. Got a full refund as they had a long warranty and the
> shop didnt have any in stock to replace it. Boy was I pleased about that!
>
> As SLI has no benefit for me then I guess I can settle for a single 6800 or
> 7800GT!! 8^)
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> Ian

For sims, I would invest my money in a faster CPU than in SLI.
Maybe for action games its worth it.

Michael
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2005 10:15:06 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

7800gtx or a 7800gt will do fine with a 4400. I have a 7800gtx myself and
have EVERYTHING maxed out in FS2004.

Then, by december, i might upgrade and get ANOTHER 7800gtx... depends how i
feel :-)

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D f0fhl$512$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
>> Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
>> supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
>> my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
>> Hardwire Accel mode.
>>

> I have no trouble getting hardware acceleration from my ATI AIW 8500DV
> with any of my current sims. Isnt 3dfx voodoo? Some years ago I had a
> voodoo card until it died. Got a full refund as they had a long warranty
> and the shop didnt have any in stock to replace it. Boy was I pleased
> about that!
>
> As SLI has no benefit for me then I guess I can settle for a single 6800
> or 7800GT!! 8^)
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> Ian

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2005 12:14:23 PM

"FlyBoy" <noway@notmyisp.com> wrote in message

> The sims you have listed most likely will not benefit from SLI except
> MSFS2004 which may be DX9.

FS2004 doesn't use SLI.

--
Toosmoky
Work to ride, Ride to Work...

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D etcv3$m2$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi
>
> I'm looking at upgrading my PC based on an AMD X2 4400 or higher.
>
> The only "games" I play are Fly!, FS2004, DiD F22 ADF.
>
> Is there any point in going for 2 graphics cards in SLi mode with these
> sims?
>
> Any recommendations for PCI-E cards?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Ian

Why use SLI when you can have multi *projector* support:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=873...

<GGG>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2005 3:18:28 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> FS2004 doesn't use SLI.

that isnt totaly true....

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
Anonymous

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message

>> FS2004 doesn't use SLI.
>
> that isnt totaly true....

Prove otherwise.

--
Toosmoky
Work to ride, Ride to Work...

MSFS10 is coming out end of 2006. Not sure if it will be SLI compatible. Screenshots on AVSIM.COM link. Many people not aware of the drain MSFS puts on a system. I have almost every addon there is for FS9 in scenery and aircraft. I run AMD 3200 (Barton core 2500 OC'ed) with a ATI 9500pro and 1gig cheap corsiar RAM. Frame rates okay. I have a 7800GT in my closet waiting on my future ASUS A8N32 SLI premium board and AMD X2 4400(will OC to 2.6 or higher). Going with Corsiar low latency DDR400 PC3500pro RAM. Will buy in April when $$ available and CPU price falls. May go with second 7800GT for SLI setup. :D
October 14, 2006 6:36:31 AM

FS9.1 does NOT support SLI, nVidia tried hard to make it happen, but the best they could do was SLI support for AA only.

I dumped my two 7800GTX in favor of a single ATI X1950XTX and my image quality and frame rates are considerably better on the single ATI.

FSX dev team claims that they will release a "Vista" version that will include DX10 support. The current FSX release for DX9.0c is out but many folks have reported very bad frame rates (in the order of 1 fps to 6 fps).

Rob.
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2006 6:16:12 AM

i use f.s.2004 and have sli 2 68gt,s

it seems to work fine.

am i missing something?

edit; sorry ment to reply to (toosmokey)
October 16, 2006 5:24:38 AM

Disable one 6800GT and monitor your frame rates (Shift Z in FS9.1) -- they'll be about the same. Because something "works" doesn't mean it is being used effectively.
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2006 11:20:33 PM

ok thanks, ill give it a try :D
!