Are dual SLi mode graphics card worthwhile for flight Sims?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi

I'm looking at upgrading my PC based on an AMD X2 4400 or higher.

The only "games" I play are Fly!, FS2004, DiD F22 ADF.

Is there any point in going for 2 graphics cards in SLi mode with these
sims?

Any recommendations for PCI-E cards?

Thanks a lot

Ian
14 answers Last reply
More about dual mode graphics card worthwhile flight sims
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    The sims you have listed most likely will not benefit from SLI except
    MSFS2004 which may be DX9.
    "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking at upgrading my PC based on an AMD X2 4400 or higher.
    >
    > The only "games" I play are Fly!, FS2004, DiD F22 ADF.
    >
    > Is there any point in going for 2 graphics cards in SLi mode with these
    > sims?
    >
    > Any recommendations for PCI-E cards?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Ian

  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
    supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
    my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
    Hardwire Accel mode.
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    > Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
    > supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
    > my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
    > Hardwire Accel mode.

    I have no trouble getting hardware acceleration from my ATI AIW 8500DV with
    any of my current sims. Isnt 3dfx voodoo? Some years ago I had a voodoo
    card until it died. Got a full refund as they had a long warranty and the
    shop didnt have any in stock to replace it. Boy was I pleased about that!

    As SLI has no benefit for me then I guess I can settle for a single 6800 or
    7800GT!! 8^)

    Thanks guys!

    Ian
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Ian R schrieb:
    > "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
    >>supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
    >>my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
    >>Hardwire Accel mode.
    >>

    > I have no trouble getting hardware acceleration from my ATI AIW 8500DV with
    > any of my current sims. Isnt 3dfx voodoo? Some years ago I had a voodoo
    > card until it died. Got a full refund as they had a long warranty and the
    > shop didnt have any in stock to replace it. Boy was I pleased about that!
    >
    > As SLI has no benefit for me then I guess I can settle for a single 6800 or
    > 7800GT!! 8^)
    >
    > Thanks guys!
    >
    > Ian

    For sims, I would invest my money in a faster CPU than in SLI.
    Maybe for action games its worth it.

    Michael
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    7800gtx or a 7800gt will do fine with a 4400. I have a 7800gtx myself and
    have EVERYTHING maxed out in FS2004.

    Then, by december, i might upgrade and get ANOTHER 7800gtx... depends how i
    feel :-)

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    > "FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
    >> Isn't ADF a 3dfx game? Wouldn't you need a graphics set and an OS that
    >> supports the Glipe API? While I (briefly) played both ADF & EF2000 on
    >> my OpenGL system a few years back, I never got either to fly in
    >> Hardwire Accel mode.
    >>

    > I have no trouble getting hardware acceleration from my ATI AIW 8500DV
    > with any of my current sims. Isnt 3dfx voodoo? Some years ago I had a
    > voodoo card until it died. Got a full refund as they had a long warranty
    > and the shop didnt have any in stock to replace it. Boy was I pleased
    > about that!
    >
    > As SLI has no benefit for me then I guess I can settle for a single 6800
    > or 7800GT!! 8^)
    >
    > Thanks guys!
    >
    > Ian

  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "FlyBoy" <noway@notmyisp.com> wrote in message

    > The sims you have listed most likely will not benefit from SLI except
    > MSFS2004 which may be DX9.

    FS2004 doesn't use SLI.

    --
    Toosmoky
    Work to ride, Ride to Work...

    "Ian R" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking at upgrading my PC based on an AMD X2 4400 or higher.
    >
    > The only "games" I play are Fly!, FS2004, DiD F22 ADF.
    >
    > Is there any point in going for 2 graphics cards in SLi mode with these
    > sims?
    >
    > Any recommendations for PCI-E cards?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Ian

    Why use SLI when you can have multi *projector* support:

    http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=87392

    <GGG>
  8. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    > FS2004 doesn't use SLI.

    that isnt totaly true....

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb
  9. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> FS2004 doesn't use SLI.
    >
    > that isnt totaly true....

    Prove otherwise.

    --
    Toosmoky
    Work to ride, Ride to Work...

    I dumped my two 7800GTX in favor of a single ATI X1950XTX and my image quality and frame rates are considerably better on the single ATI.

    FSX dev team claims that they will release a "Vista" version that will include DX10 support. The current FSX release for DX9.0c is out but many folks have reported very bad frame rates (in the order of 1 fps to 6 fps).

    Rob.
  12. i use f.s.2004 and have sli 2 68gt,s

    it seems to work fine.

    am i missing something?

    edit; sorry ment to reply to (toosmokey)
  13. Disable one 6800GT and monitor your frame rates (Shift Z in FS9.1) -- they'll be about the same. Because something "works" doesn't mean it is being used effectively.
  14. ok thanks, ill give it a try :D

PC gaming Sims Graphics Cards SLI Video Games