Sign in with
Your question

Wierd problem with character models in Unreal 2...

Tags:
  • Games
  • Windows XP
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2003 4:53:15 AM

The game looks pretty good. A little choppy, but solid. I'm having a wierd problem with the character models in the game though. The first chick with the huge jugs looks spectacular. Oh by the way, I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1500, 512 PC2100, Ti4200 64mb(Leadtek).

All the other characters like the guy smoking a cigarette looks all grey kind of like a metallic army men toy. But the smoke looked good. And the first aliens were all a metallic blue, and thats when I stopped playing because the monsters/people just didnt look right.

I'm wondering if this might have anything to do with the fact that I upgraded to DirectX 9 a couple of weeks ago.

Is there even a way to downgrade back to directx 8.1? Since you can't download a version for XP.

Thanks for any and all help.

More about : wierd problem character models unreal

February 4, 2003 7:36:15 AM

You will have to use a system restore. Hopefully you made a restore point. I don't think you can uninstall 9

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 4, 2003 7:41:17 PM

I did a system restore to the day before I installed DX9. I uninstalled, then reinstalled Unreal 2. I'm getting the same problems though. The first guy at the beginning of the game, even my character both looked extremely distorted. Even the other marines in the room had that metallic look going on. But all the other textures in the game look fine. Just the character skins.

I don't get it. Is it a graphics driver problem? I'm using 40.72 certified. Maybe doing the restore didn't undo my DX9 installation. I know I should know this but where do I check what version directx is installed on my computer?

Thanks again.
Related resources
February 5, 2003 1:10:08 AM

I think if you click on the start tab and select run, then type "dxdiag" (minus the quotes) in the prompt it will show you your DX info.

P.S. - are you sure you didn't stare at the "chick with huge jugs" for too long and damage your eyes?
February 7, 2003 1:57:53 AM

so do you like the game aside from those problems? I personally was very dissapointed with UT2K3. If its not much better than that, then I don't think UT2 will be gracing my system. :wink:

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>
February 9, 2003 8:14:02 PM

I GOT THE ANSWER. I jsut had the same thing happen to me, and all it takes is to uninstall your current drivers (probably 40.xx) and install 39.xx or 41.09. They have a problem with 40 series of drivers. A patch will probably be forthcoming, but just changing drivers will fix it for now.
I havn't put the 41.09 on yet, but the 39 fixed the texture problems except for the little pilot dude in the ship.
See at www.unreal2.com.
Good Luck,
Take Out.

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)
!