Too damned hot!!! arrggghh...

G

Maybe someone here can help, I have an A7V266 with Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 cpu. The computer performs well, but using it is almost unbearable.

The problem is that the system throws off so much heat that my home office gets to be just miserably hot after an hour or so of using the computer. Is there another compatible cpu that can go on the board that won't have so much heat to dissipate?

I have an older BH6 with a pII 700 that barely puts out any heat at all.

At this point in my life I'm not looking for cutting edge performance, just a system that I won't feel like throwing out the window everytime I turn it on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Damn, are you using any sort of embellishment? Your CPU actually heats your room up? Is this any sort of criticism of AMD CPU?

Never fight stupid person.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17357" target="_new">Rig</A>

G

Honestly this is not a troll, and I'm not exaggerating (I wish I was).

I had heard that the Thunderbird processors were hot but I was unprepared for how warm this thing gets and how much heat is thrown off.

The other two computers I have running in the room are the bh6 pII 700 and an old Tx97 K6-2 300. Both systems have 19" monitors and with all that running together it doesn't even get the room barely warm.

I can turn both of them off and *just* the A7V266 1.4 running by itself will make the room unbearably warm. I'm not slamming AMD (damned glad they're out there keeping prices low and providing competition!) but if I had realized how much heat this thing put out I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Are the Athlon XP processors any cooler running? Are they compatible with my board? (Asus A7V266....not 'E')

Thanks,
Keith

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
oops, I don't think Athlon XP is OFFICIALLY any cooler than old Athlon. There should be some BIOs updates that can get ur mobo to run XP, well I really dunno. Sorrie, man

Never fight stupid person.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17357" target="_new">Rig</A>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the only thing i can thing of is for you to get a duron (the one with the morgan core)...it produces less heat than any of the athlons...but you will see a loss in performance....but you'll get less heat...either that or you can try opening a window...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, you're exaggerating. The T-bird doesn't produce nearly enough heat to warm up a case, let alone an entire room. It's all in your head.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

monkeyhouse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To save electrical bill... I use my monitor to heat up the room *grin*....

<font color=green>Mobo dies so quickly.... I've just swapped 3 mobos in a week.</font color=green> :eek:

G

I'm in Florida, so opening a window doesn't help (except that one week in January).

Thanks for the tips, maybe I'll try the Duron in there and see if it helps.

Thanks,
Keith

G

Actually it's probably a combination of the cpu and the power supply, but you're wrong about the amount of heat the Thunderbird puts out. I can't hold on to the base of the heat sink for very long after the system has been running for a while.

I wish it tweren't so, but it is.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, a warm heatsink and a warm room are two totally different things. Surely a processor can't heat up an entire room.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Honestly, the 1.4 T-Bird puts out about 72 watts of heat I think. That shouldn't make a room difference.

An easy way to keep heat down though would be to revert to a 100 MHz. FSB speed and that'll slow your chip down to what, 1050 MHz.? At that speed you might even be able to reduce the core voltage some which will also result in less heat.

Scout

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've noticed my old Thunderbird used to get my old small bedroom warm but I'm guessing it wasn't the processor alone (monitor, cpu, and power supply).

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, my monitor gets a lot hotter than my case, so I'd say a monitor making a small room warmer is at least a remote possibility. But a CPU? Impossible. Well, actually, my old generic 300W PSU used to get very hot, but my 430W Enermax Whisper hardly generates any heat.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
LOL, turn on the Air Conditioner. I live in Florida, Orlando, I have my windows open now and it is cool and my 1.4ghz T-Bird creates a nice breeze for me :smile: . Oh it is 1:00pm. In the summer time who doesn't use their air conditioners here, geezes your 100w lightbulb puts out more heat then your T-Birdy. It is probably everything you have running in your room that is doing it, a small fan in the window helps too by the way.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
geezes your 100w lightbulb puts out more heat then your T-Birdy
lol, I live in Toronto, Canada but I replaced all the incandescent light bulbs in my house with similarly sized fluorescent light bulbs. THe fluorescent bulbs consume a fraction of the power of the incandescent ones and last longer. Sure, they cost about $10 CDN a piece, but the savings on electricity and the long life of the bulbs offsets that.

G

I have brought my Soyo SY K7V Dragon+ with and Athlon 1900 from downstairs into a room upstairs and have noticed that it does heat up the room. There was an existing K62-550 in the room already but when I brought up the new system the room got warmer by a few degrees. So I have to agree with Keith - newguy404 that the room heating up is indeed a possibility.

Opening up the window a bit though, cools things off.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
well, I'd say its VERY possible to heat up that much, Imy setup is watercooled, the water is under the floor, and consists of 2 tanks totalling 80 kitres of water, and my little athy heats that amount of water up after it has been on for a while, so heating up a small room I can well believe.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
Can't believe this, your room heating up by a CPU??!!!

I own a Epox 8K7A+, XP1800+, Swiftech MC462 in a Chieftec Case with 6 casefans. I got to move my legs or they'll freeze!! I'm not being sarcastic. The temp in my room drops a.s.a I turn on my comp'.

system temp: 21°C
CPU: 35°C

Newguy404, how many casefans do you got?
Try to put 1 or 2.

Now available: notebook with Mobile Hammer CPU and Geforce6; awesome!

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
My guess is your home office is pretty small and is already pretty warm before you turn the 3rd computer on. Perhaps drop the temperature in your room before you turn the computer on? Alternatively get a cooling unit for your office, most computer rooms containing 30+ terminals will invest in air conditioning just to make life bearable for the workers but also to keep the equipment cool. Your room is just scaled down.
In the end there is nothing you can do about it, I guess your 3 computers and monitors together are using up to 1KW in power, imagine sitting in your office all the time with a 1KW heater on! I think it would also get hot pretty quick.