dead power/mobo symptoms?

Razorguts

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Where do I start? OK, here's what happened: I recently installed my new Geforce4 Ti4600, had already played some games, done 3d2001 benching, etc., all seemed to be working OK. I downloaded the nvidia "Werewolf" demo. In the middle of the demo, the whole PC went dead, well not the *whole* PC, this is the strange part. The power LED on front case was blinking, I had no screen, HD span down, fans weren't working, I mean it was almost similar to when you shutdown normally. Well, I held in the power button for the mandatory 4-seconds, and then everything was shutdown. tried to boot back up, hit the power button, nothing. opened up my case to check the temp, but seeing as how I hadnt even started OCing anything, I didnt think it was a meltdown. I switched the main power switch (above the power cord on back of power supply), switched it to OFF,, then back ON, hit the power button, and I hear this weird sort of "fizzle", not like a fire fizzle, but sorta electrical, coming from the power supply. also, the case fan will spin *very* briefly, like not even 1/16 of turn. After I hear this, Ill try to hit the power button again and nothing at all. BUT, when I turn the power switch off, then back on, hit the power button, I get same response, that PS fizzle and brief case fan spin.
I get no LEDs on the front of the case, but my green LED on the mobo is lit.
I smelled nothing, no electrical burning, nothing, and the fizzle Im talking about, it comes from the power supply, but no smoke, nothing "fire-like" like I was saying earlier.

here are my specs:
-ATX form factor 300W (and a no-name power supply, so I hope this is the problem)
-Asus A7V266-E
-athlon 1800xp
-512 pc2100 ddr
-PNY g4 Ti4600
-running win98se

my case load consists of the HD, CDR, CDRW, ZIP, Floppy, Gcard, Soundcard.

So, any ideas? Im not a newby, but Im also not a veteran :) So Im not even sure where to begin bench testing this. Seems like a mobo or dead power??

Much, much thanks in advance,

Razorguts
Herff College of Engineering