The Golden Age of PC RPG

Last response: in Video Games
September 29, 2005 9:04:37 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Was there really one? I've been playing PC RPG since Wizardry I came
out. PC RPGs back then were one-dimensional dungeon crawler.
Wizardry, M&M, and Bard's Tale are all the same. What's so great about
Fight Fight Fight Parry Parry Parry 50 times every 5 minutes? I wonder
how many players right now can put up with no automap? Ultima gave us
something different, a live world to interact. The best Ultima was
Ultima 7. If you're one of the people who played this when it came
out, you know how buggy it was. The crippling Voodoo memory manager
(tm) literally killed my hard drive. It loads every 3 steps you make.
It's buggy and the lag was unbelievable. We tolerate these games
because there's really nothing else available.

If I had to pick a time to coin that term with, it would be from 1998
to 2001. That's when we got the following: Fallout 2, BG, BG Tales of
the Sword Coast, IWD, Planescape, BG2, BG2 Thrones of Bhaal, IWD2, IWD2
Heart of Winter, Might & Magic 7, Diablo 2, and Everquest. That era
gave us AD&D on PC, action RPG, online RPG, and retro RPG. There were
so more RPGs than free time back then.

More about : golden age rpg

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:01:02 PM

Champion wrote:
> Was there really one? I've been playing PC RPG since Wizardry I came
> out. PC RPGs back then were one-dimensional dungeon crawler.
> Wizardry, M&M, and Bard's Tale are all the same. What's so great about
> Fight Fight Fight Parry Parry Parry 50 times every 5 minutes? I wonder
> how many players right now can put up with no automap? Ultima gave us
> something different, a live world to interact. The best Ultima was
> Ultima 7. If you're one of the people who played this when it came
> out, you know how buggy it was. The crippling Voodoo memory manager
> (tm) literally killed my hard drive. It loads every 3 steps you make.
> It's buggy and the lag was unbelievable. We tolerate these games
> because there's really nothing else available.
>
> If I had to pick a time to coin that term with, it would be from 1998
> to 2001. That's when we got the following: Fallout 2, BG, BG Tales of
> the Sword Coast, IWD, Planescape, BG2, BG2 Thrones of Bhaal, IWD2, IWD2
> Heart of Winter, Might & Magic 7, Diablo 2, and Everquest. That era
> gave us AD&D on PC, action RPG, online RPG, and retro RPG. There were
> so more RPGs than free time back then.

If you compare golden age of crpg vs the golden age of comics, you will
see there is a lot of similarity. In the golden age of comics, the
comics are not better than those come after, and the plot and execution
more or less follow the same formula. It is named such because it is
how things like this are named.

As for the period between 1998 to 2001, I guess we can call that the
"silver" age of crpg. :-)
December 19, 2005 2:04:20 AM

It began with BG and ended with Everquest: Scars of Velious.

Everything now is either very commercialized or lacking depth =P.
Related resources
December 29, 2005 7:18:22 PM

Quote:
It began with BG and ended with Everquest: Scars of Velious.

Hehe, my sentiments exactly.

BG/BGII/Throne of Bhaal were all genuinely fun games to play, mainly because of the plot and character. Monteron and Xan(?) were awesome, as well as Edwin. Well, so were a lot of others :D

Others were great as well, but that just stands out in my mind.
January 26, 2006 10:15:54 AM

Yup - I'm with you guys. But I predate you I think. The best RPG time for me was the Ultima series, particularly 4,5,6,7. All were focussed more on exploring and understanding the gameworld, less on fighting (though there was plenty of that if you wanted). Ultima 4 in particular had a philosophy/religeous system that you needed to learn about and understand (by talking to lots of NCPs). OK, modern graphics are better - but I think I preferred having to painstakingly draw maps myself rather than have automapping functions in your journal or wherever. And I preferred typing conversations with NCPs rather than picking from a limited menu of sentences as you do now - makes for a slower game, but more engrossing because you need to think about the role of the NCP and what they were likely to want to talk about.

The BG series were great - and I particularly loved Planescape:Torment using the same engine. The strong story lines made them. And I enjoyed having the ability to modify character scripts so that they worked the way I wanted them to.

More recent stuff just doesn't have the same appeal.

And I question whether full immersive 3D adds to the experience. Sure the graphics are prettier - but that doesn't in any way make up for rather dull game plots, however it obviously takes huge amounts of developer resource and creativity so they don't spend enough time on the real meat of the game.
February 6, 2006 3:37:20 PM

While in some ways I agree- there have been a few RPG's Lately that are excellent. Two that spring to mind immediately are: Jade Empire, And Star Wars- Knights of the old republic. The only odd thing to me is that they're console as opposed to pc-based. Are there any good rpgs out or coming out for the pc these days?
February 6, 2006 7:11:15 PM

Quote:
While in some ways I agree- there have been a few RPG's Lately that are excellent. Two that spring to mind immediately are: Jade Empire, And Star Wars- Knights of the old republic. The only odd thing to me is that they're console as opposed to pc-based. Are there any good rpgs out or coming out for the pc these days?

yes there is a very good one. it is planescape: torment i would argue that it is *still* the best RPG out there today. it has the most indepth charaters ever in any game that i have ever played. it *makes* you care about the NPCs. they are not there just to pick a lock, or bash a monster repetedly. this is y the game is so fun. it also has great graphics, along with an impressive story, also it has a great combate system. this game is for hardcore RPGers. not the "bash bash bash kill, hope i dont die" game.
February 7, 2006 3:33:28 AM

I too agree with the general sentiment in this thread. BG is really the begining of the golden age, though I've heard that Fallout and Fallout 2 were important precursors. I would not include IWD2, though IWD was great almost entirely because of its awesome score by Jeremy Soule.

I never did play Everquest and I have deep reservations about calling MMOs great RPGs as you don't get to have a very personal relationship with most of the NPCs (in my experience with WoW, Guild Wars, etc.). My online RPG experience is primarily comprised of hardcore roleplaying in Persistent Worlds and weekly campaigns in custom mods made using Neverwinter Nights. I'm still playing in a weekly campaign in NWN after 4 years of various experiences, and my interest never wanes. I didn't care a great deal for the commercial campaigns for NWN and its expansions. Its the multiplayer roleplaying that keeps me coming back to it despite its horribly out-dated graphics.

I don't think I saw anyone mention it so far, so I'm going to say that I would include Morrowind among the golden age games.

And, I think the KotOR games were a little lack-luster. The second one had a lot of potential, but they probably needed more production time to get that one finished properly. Some of the characters in each were very cool (HK-47 comes to mind), but the plots were just so-so mostly.

The next great rpg I predict will be The Witcher (thewitcher.com). It may be an action RPG but they are definitely not skimping on the roleplaying, and the setting seems extremely cool to me. As for NWN2, I'm not holding my breath. I think Obsidian has been given too small of a window to finish a huge task, and may be in over there heads.

I think we're in a period now where developers are trying to outdo the golden age, and aren't quite understanding what made those games so special. I think the one poster who described what he thought was good about Planescape:Torment described that which was most revolutionary about Golden Age games. Games had never been so long and involving before, and now devs are just making them long, but the plots and characters get more or less rehashed.
March 2, 2006 11:18:43 PM

I think the 'Golden Age' of PC RPGs started with Baldur's Gate. Once Black Isle folded as a developer, many sequel titles have suffered from being inferior to the first game. Knights of the Old Republic is a good example, with the sequel being smaller, buggier, and unfinished. Unfortunately, 50-75% of game companies now release unfinished products upon the public and hope they either won't notice or pray that patches *might* fix the problem.
March 5, 2006 8:42:43 AM

I think golden age of RPG have started with Dungeon Master. .-)
March 9, 2006 3:42:47 PM

For me Ultima 7 still is the high-point in PC based RPGs. The story, the graphics, the sound... it was awesome.
March 10, 2006 1:43:58 PM

Well for me the best was BG sage.

I think that now there is only one game which is quite good -> gothic ;)

Gothic 1 and 2 were fantastic for me.

I think that the thing why they are not making as good RPG games as in 1998-2000 is that nowadays most people are looking on graphic layout. No one is thinking how good is the storyline... whatever WHAT STORYLINE, there is no storyline in this stupid shooters.. click click click, heal, click click click, reload, click... n/c

I think they would make game in which u should think more but they cant becouse generaly, when game is good (storyline) graphic is bad and vice versa. And i think that sponsors just dont want games with bad graphic :( .

But i am really looking for another Bg or IWD :( ... no good games now..
March 10, 2006 1:52:22 PM

I remember the anticipation waiting for Ultima 9... and even though it got some pretty bad reviews I still thought it was amazing (yes, I had a Voodoo 2 or 3... forget which... video card that ran it perfectly)

Now I find myself with that same feeling waiting for Oblivion... in fact, that game is THE reason I bought my new system... everything else I did ran fine. Boys and their toys!
March 10, 2006 5:00:17 PM

Maybe Elder scrolls:o blivion will be to your liking? It'll be out by the end of the month. Gothic 3 will be out in September.
March 10, 2006 6:00:46 PM

Quote:
Gothic 3 will be out in September.

they have said the same about 1 year later.. i dont beleve :p

Whatever, I will have to wait to translate this game to Polish, coz i like my languge :p .. it wil take about 6 months and I will get G3 Polish Edition when most of the world will end the game... n/c :p

And by the way RPGs nowadays.... Morowind is too phlegmatic (?) for me.. there is no action.
I didn't play Oblivion... would be nice.
July 26, 2006 2:29:21 AM

This is a old thread, but a good one! I have to agree with Ultima being the start of an immersive crpg for the computer. Most people say Ultima 4 if they are a fan. I started with 6, became addicted and when 7 came out...I would skip school just to play this game! 7 and 7 1/2 were both great games! The wait for 8 and the big let down :(  I actually thought 9 was better then 8 in a way... as much as they both sucked.

The end for me was right around IW2. There are some random shining lights out there though. Temple of Elemental Evil (buggy and unfinished though, but fun!). NWN of course. (make your own adventure!), KoTR and also Jade Empire are both great titles. NWN2 is on the way. I will have to play Oblivion when I get my upgrade soon..

We can only hope that Bioware might bring somthing huge to the table with Dragon Age. I guess we try and keep our hopes on Bioware and Obsidion to lead the way.

Richard Garriot where are you!? Come back from NCSoft and give us a all imersive single player!! :)
December 23, 2009 9:17:20 PM

bobo999999999 said:
Quote:
While in some ways I agree- there have been a few RPG's Lately that are excellent. Two that spring to mind immediately are: Jade Empire, And Star Wars- Knights of the old republic. The only odd thing to me is that they're console as opposed to pc-based. Are there any good rpgs out or coming out for the pc these days?

yes there is a very good one. it is planescape: torment i would argue that it is *still* the best RPG out there today. it has the most indepth charaters ever in any game that i have ever played. it *makes* you care about the NPCs. they are not there just to pick a lock, or bash a monster repetedly. this is y the game is so fun. it also has great graphics, along with an impressive story, also it has a great combate system. this game is for hardcore RPGers. not the "bash bash bash kill, hope i dont die" game.

I totally think that Age of Dragons is the master of rpg's so far. I also think that hack and slash with knowing how to do combos is actually quite realistic, cuz thats how fighting goes, u dont get a chance to really think bout what u r gonna do, just try to mess the dude up or as in battles go..... u know lol My fav has always been BG, but now that i played DAO, idk know anymore
January 5, 2010 5:19:02 PM

crucifisio said:
I totally think that Age of Dragons is the master of rpg's so far. I also think that hack and slash with knowing how to do combos is actually quite realistic, cuz thats how fighting goes, u dont get a chance to really think bout what u r gonna do, just try to mess the dude up or as in battles go..... u know lol My fav has always been BG, but now that i played DAO, idk know anymore

LOL - this thread is 3 years old now :p .

However I'll agree that DAO is pretty good - complicated enough to where I find it useful to consult a walkthru occasionally while playing, just so that I don't miss any quest elements & have to reload..
!