Windows Messenger Auto Sign in (Make It Stop!!!)

July 25, 2005 9:04:02 PM

MSN Messenger has an auto sign in option, but Windows messenger does not...
~sighs~ Does anyone know a way I can stop Windows messenger from signing me
in when someone tries to use it?
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:06:33 AM

Greetings,

The only real way is to remove your saved Passport. To do so, click the Start Button, then
click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select the Windows
account name in question, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click
'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport)
entry and click 'Remove'.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Arcane" <Arcane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MSN Messenger has an auto sign in option, but Windows messenger does not...
> ~sighs~ Does anyone know a way I can stop Windows messenger from signing me
> in when someone tries to use it?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:01:08 PM

Hmm... I have a similar but weirder problem that is getting very annoying.

I use MSN messenger (7.0) for my IM service, but of course Windows Messenger
(4.7) loads with Win XP behind the scenes when MSN Messenger starts.

I can be away from my PC for the entire day, and MSN Mess is set to NOT log
in automatically or to start automatically... nevertheless Win Mess seems to
log in behind the scenes during idle periods as I'm finding chat boxes open
when I return to the PC, sent by contacts who thought I was logged in.

This was confirmed just now... I started up BOTH MSN Mess and Win Mess,
logged into Win, logged out, and had both icons showing "not logged in". I
went and had breakfast. When I came back to the PC, Win Mess had logged
itself on.

How do I stop this misbehavior? "Bad, bad software!!"

Alan in Hoboken

news:o 8dYsYXkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
>
> The only real way is to remove your saved Passport. To do so, click the
> Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in
> the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then
> on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my
> Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\*
> (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "Arcane" <Arcane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> MSN Messenger has an auto sign in option, but Windows messenger does
>> not...
>> ~sighs~ Does anyone know a way I can stop Windows messenger from signing
>> me
>> in when someone tries to use it?

July 28, 2005 4:42:10 PM

Hmm. I can't make wn messenger sign on automatacally for some reason. I have
to go to file/sign in t do it.
"AlanH220" <AlanH220@MAPSONoptonline.net> wrote in message
news:o DelMw2kFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hmm... I have a similar but weirder problem that is getting very annoying.
>
> I use MSN messenger (7.0) for my IM service, but of course Windows
> Messenger (4.7) loads with Win XP behind the scenes when MSN Messenger
> starts.
>
> I can be away from my PC for the entire day, and MSN Mess is set to NOT
> log in automatically or to start automatically... nevertheless Win Mess
> seems to log in behind the scenes during idle periods as I'm finding chat
> boxes open when I return to the PC, sent by contacts who thought I was
> logged in.
>
> This was confirmed just now... I started up BOTH MSN Mess and Win Mess,
> logged into Win, logged out, and had both icons showing "not logged in". I
> went and had breakfast. When I came back to the PC, Win Mess had logged
> itself on.
>
> How do I stop this misbehavior? "Bad, bad software!!"
>
> Alan in Hoboken
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8dYsYXkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings,
>>
>> The only real way is to remove your saved Passport. To do so, click the
>> Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in
>> the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then
>> on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my
>> Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\*
>> (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>

>> "Arcane" <Arcane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> MSN Messenger has an auto sign in option, but Windows messenger does
>>> not...
>>> ~sighs~ Does anyone know a way I can stop Windows messenger from signing
>>> me
>>> in when someone tries to use it?

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:48:05 PM

Hi there Alan,

I have been completely annoyed with the exact same problem you are having.
My Windows Messenger keeps signing me in when I am not even at my computer.
I also Use MSN 7.0 and never use Windows version...out of date and blah
mostly. I have done the Start/Search files and folders for windows messenger
and have deleted anything it comes up with...and yet it still keeps showing
up....I have to sign into MSN to get windows messenger to sign me out....very
very annoying. if you have come up with a solution, I would love to hear it.

Desperately seeking help on this one...

Princess Forever

"AlanH220" wrote:

> Hmm... I have a similar but weirder problem that is getting very annoying.
>
> I use MSN messenger (7.0) for my IM service, but of course Windows Messenger
> (4.7) loads with Win XP behind the scenes when MSN Messenger starts.
>
> I can be away from my PC for the entire day, and MSN Mess is set to NOT log
> in automatically or to start automatically... nevertheless Win Mess seems to
> log in behind the scenes during idle periods as I'm finding chat boxes open
> when I return to the PC, sent by contacts who thought I was logged in.
>
> This was confirmed just now... I started up BOTH MSN Mess and Win Mess,
> logged into Win, logged out, and had both icons showing "not logged in". I
> went and had breakfast. When I came back to the PC, Win Mess had logged
> itself on.
>
> How do I stop this misbehavior? "Bad, bad software!!"
>
> Alan in Hoboken
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> news:o 8dYsYXkFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The only real way is to remove your saved Passport. To do so, click the
> > Start Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in
> > the Control Panel. Select the Windows account name in question, and then
> > on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my
> > Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\*
> > (Passport) entry and click 'Remove'.
> > Jonathan Kay
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> > Associate Expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
> > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >

> > "Arcane" <Arcane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> MSN Messenger has an auto sign in option, but Windows messenger does
> >> not...
> >> ~sighs~ Does anyone know a way I can stop Windows messenger from signing
> >> me
> >> in when someone tries to use it?

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:48:03 AM

Arcane wrote:
> *MSN Messenger has an auto sign in option, but Windows messenger does
> not...
> ~sighs~ Does anyone know a way I can stop Windows messenger from
> signing me
> in when someone tries to use it? *

You can do it without getting rid of your passport thing. Just follow
these instructions. I think it works signed in or out.

In the Messenger main window, click the Tools menu, click Options, and
then click the General tab.
Clear the Allow automatic sign in when connected to the Internet check
box.
:eek

--
iamme2