Need help...big time..2nd mobo that's messed..

G

AARGGGHHHH:mad: My new system is not working. I had problems with the same setup (mobo I think). Sent back mobo, got new one (same: soyo d+). Now, went over to friend (who knows how to build), and same [-peep-] (excuse my french) happens: I get a blue-screen (xp blue screen) error, saying it stopped to prevent damage to my comp. Now, I have checked EVERYTHING (at least I did last time), and this is what I have come up with: NADA, NOTHING, INGEN TING. Last time, we did everything (tried booting with different harddisk, with hd only, flash bios, clear cmos, installing diff. os, checked memory, check vid card, checked hddisk(s), and anything else I can think of). Last time, this is what happened: I got everything installed, installed XP, was working fine for 1 day, then started crashing. Decided to reinstall it, and that would hang when XP setup was copying files to the harddrive (always at different files). Then, did what I said above, still nothing. Now, got new mobo, installed this hd (which has xp and stuff on it), hooked up power, etc. and booted. Nothing. Got blue screen error, same as before (which I can't remember, but last time we also got memory errors, with the memory being good). Thought maybe it was the harddrive that was incompatible with mobo. Installed xp on other harddrive, and same [-peep-] happens.

So, the lesson is, I guess, DO NOT BUY SOYO. According to me, they suck, until someone, something can prove it different for me.:mad:

However, if there are ANYONE out there who can help me, and might figure out what the F%(%(% is wrong, I'd be VERY happy. This crap has now cost me about $100 in shipping, 3 weeks without computer, and now on a slow-ass computer.

The specs on system were:
xp 1800
seagate baracude iv 40 gb 7200
quantum fb 5400 13 gb
256 generic ram (although they said it would be kingston...)
128 samsun ram (all is pc2100
geforce 2 mx400 64mb
no other drives (cuz they all broken)

PLEASE...I NEED HELP. This is annoying me a shitload.

Sincerely,

Bardun:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'd like to excuse my language. I am extremely frustrated right now...

Some people call me God

G

Well, it's not the ram, cuz same thing happened last time I got mobo bundle, and it checked out good. I also have that stikc of samsung ram that works..

Bardun

Some people call me God

G

Yeah, tried that on other mobo...didn't work either, and the mobo/ram was tested at the place I bought (tested probbaly meaning they booted with an os and said "fine, it's booting"). I really don't think it's the ram...

Bardun

Some people call me God

G

I know how frustrating this crap can me. I've had some real problems with my computer also. I put in some more ram and went to turn it back on and nothing worked. Computers are a pain in the ass.

www.geocities.com/seven7gates/

pat

Expert
I have a soyo D+ and I,ve got the same problem. RAM...RAM...RAM.

So, stay away from generic RAM and maybe Samsung too. My cousin has a D+ too and cannot run in turbo mode with his RAM but if he try one of my stick, no problem.

Advice, try different brand. mine is GB, but I'm not sure if it is the brand...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

G

First of all, thanks to all who have answered my post and tried to help me! I think I might try to pick up a stick of 256 pc2100 big name brand then, and see what happens...I dunno what else to do. I will call soyo tech tomorrow though and see what they say. Is there a problem installing an os on a harddisk, and then booting it on the soyo, or do I have to reinstall the os with the soyo mobo? Maybe that's the problem....we'll see. I'll try something different tomorrow.

Complearner

Some people call me God

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
You shouldn't really run into any problems if you install an OS and change the HDD from one pc to another. If the chipsets are different Windows will load up generic drivers. However, if you want to run it optimally you'll have to install the drivers for the chipset you are using.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
If computers weren't such a pain in the ass, we wouldn't be in this forum. Actually, there would be no forum.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

G

Thanks for the french lesson!

Anyway, I have just made sure that FOC is disabled (which it has to be with volcano 7 used). This is how it was installed:
This time, we did this:
Carefully unpacked mobo
Screwed mobo onto bottom of case, with case bottom on cardboard on a table (there is one hole open with an some metal around it..is that bad?)
Installed all the leds and powerswitch cables.
Put in vid card (and it's in its place)
hooked up harddrive (with xp already on it, and working fine)
hooked up powercables from ps to disk and board
hooked up hd to board
turned on (after connecting monitor, mouse, keyboard:p)
entered bios, checked it, left it as it was from mobo shipper
booted, and result was blue screen.
Note: booted it first time with ONLY harddrive and vid card installed.

I am at a loss (as I actually was long time ago...).

Complearner

PS: I am able to get into DOS. It's only the os it won't boot to.

Question: If mobo is shorted, will anything work?

Some people call me God

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have personally buit a system with the Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard and had no problems. I used quality ram (Crucial PC2100) and power supply than is AMD approved E(Enlight 340 watt - AMD approved up to XP2100).

Your problem could be

1) You are using Cheap RAM! AMD systems need higher quality ram than INTEL. I see this all the time, everything appears to be working fine, but then you get blue screens and strange errors happening at random, put some Crucial memory in the same system and all the problems go away. Some motherboards are more sensitive to cheap ram than others so even if it works fine in another system it still could be causing all your problems. I have built or repaired dozens of computers and I have learn that it NEVER pays to buy cheap memory. I would not put Samsung memory in my system if you gave it to me for free, and don't be fooled into thinking that generic ram made with genuine Micron modules (same as in Crucial) are just as good as the real thing. I tried them and averaged about 10 blue screens a week, I repaled it with Crucial and all the errors stoped! I would not put Samsung or any cheap brand of memory in my system if it was given to me.

2) You may be using a Low Quality Power Supply. An unapproved power supply can cause the same stablity problems as cheap ram. Most of the powersupplies that come with cases are garbage. The wattage rattings are meaningless, often you will find that a 250 watt by one brand is better than anothers 400 watt supply. It is the quality of the power that counts. You need to visit AMD's websit the check the list of approved powersupplies for your CPU. Make sure you check the model numbers, for example you may find that a manufacturer makes two different 300 watt power supplies and that one is approved and the other is not. If your powersupply is not on the list replace in with one that is!

3) Unlike every other Microsoft OS, You cannot just move a winodws XP installation. If the motherboard or boot drive is different the OS will fail to load. It will either hang or you will get STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. ExtreemTech has a article "Swapping Motherboards Under Windows XP" that should fill you in if you suspect this may be part of the problem.

Hope this helps.

G

Is there a list for rams that will work with Soyo? I have currently read a lot about my problem, but nothing so far.

Also, will bad ram (that will work in other machines) make my computer not boot at all?

I want to thank again everyone who is helping me with my problem. I am new to this thing, and I am learning as I go!

Complearner

Some people call me God