Soyo Socket 7 Mobo - Please Help!!!

G

Recently bought a Soyo 5EHM socket 7 baby AT motherboard on eBay. I know it's an old board, but I was looking for a cheap mobo replacment for my parents comp. Their old board bit the dust. I will list the specs on the other components is below.

Here's the problem...
I can't get anything when the computer is turned on. The power works and the fans inside run fine. The computer sounds like it is booting up (faint clicking sound, like it is checking the RAM), but I get nothing on the screen. I think it is a video problem. I verified that the video card and monitor work using another machine. Could it be the AGP slot? Or is there something else wrong?

Soyo SY-5EHM rev1.2
(socket 7, AT, VIA MVP3 chipset, AGP, 3 PCI, 3 ISA, 100MHz bus)
AMD K6-2 300MHz. (will be upgraded to K6-2+ 450 soon)
128MB PC100 RAM (works in other machine)
Diamind TNT2 Ultra 32MB video card
8.4GB Samsung 5400RPM hard drive
230W AT power supply
3.5" floppy

That's it! I stripped it down to the bare minimum to make sure there weren't other drives/boards causing problems.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
remove the video card and try to power up (listen for post)......if still no power, remove memory and retry.....still no power remove hard drive and retry.

Basically, just the mobo and CPU should power up and POST just fine if not obviously either the mobo..power supply..CPU are bad.

G

Update...
I tried a different RAM module - nothing
Tried a different AGP video card - nothing
Checked all the jumpers and they are all set correctly for the CPU
I even tried an ATX power supply out of my other system. That didn't make any difference either.

So, I guess the problem is either the CPU or the motherboard. Is that right?

I have a new AMD processor coming in the mail in the next couple of days. I'll try that, then I'll know for sure whether it is the CPU or the mobo.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? If it doesn't have a jumper, just pull the battery out and then try again.

Good Luck.

Scout
A fool and his money are soon parted... Man, I HATE it when that happens!

G

It works! The problem had nothing to do with the CMOS. Turns out the CPU wasn't seated in the socket very well. I removed the processor, replaced it, jiggled it in the socket a little, and clamped it down. And now everything works fine.

Pretty stupid mistake on my part I guess, but I've never had that happen before.