rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have been waiting months for the release of Oblivion and now I believe it will finally be released this time (March 20th) I have read the system requirements but would like some sort of feedback as to how well my system should run the game... here are my specs...

AMD X2-4400 OC'd to 2.6 Ghz
2 GB RAM
1 WD 74 GB Raptor 10k RPM Drive
XFX 7800 GTX 256 MB OC'd to 490/1.32
SB Live

Based on what you guys know about Oblivion, do you think this system will be able to run the game in all its glory?

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
If it doesn't the game will be in deep shit.

I think you're just showing off. Nice rig btw, except for the soundcard. If you have money for a 7800GTX why not at least a SB audigy4 card or something?

Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If you are showing off with your rig - your gay.
But if you are really wondering can you run the game in all its glory with your pc, then I think there is only one answer - yes you can.

Hope noone won't ban me for this or anything :lol:

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
LOL... too funny if you think I have a rig worth bragging about. If you look at the signatures here it seems like virtually everyone is running some sort of SLI setup with several having GTX 512 SLI setups. Hell, I have value memory... trust me, I wasn't bragging.

I asked a sincere question and expected a sincere answer... nothing more, nothing less.

I just wanted some sort of confirmation that my system will run Oblivion at an acceptable rate (I'll be playing at 1024 X 768)

Warrax

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2005
I have been waiting months for the release of Oblivion and now I believe it will finally be released this time (March 20th) I have read the system requirements but would like some sort of feedback as to how well my system should run the game... here are my specs...

2 GB RAM
SB Live

Based on what you guys know about Oblivion, do you think this system will be able to run the game in all its glory?

It quite funny, that people with most brutal PC configuration are afraid the most. .-)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'll have to do this when I get home... somehow I doubt my IBM NetVista with onboard Intel graphics here at work is going to be able to pass that test... can't wait to see what my home PC reports.

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
If you are showing off with your rig - your gay.
But if you are really wondering can you run the game in all its glory with your pc, then I think there is only one answer - yes you can.

Hope noone won't ban me for this or anything :lol:

too f'ing funny..here are the min specs for oblivion dummy..your system will run it..please dont write back asking if it will play Pong either

Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card
and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
LOL... too funny if you think I have a rig worth bragging about. If you look at the signatures here it seems like virtually everyone is running some sort of SLI setup with several having GTX 512 SLI setups. Hell, I have value memory... trust me, I wasn't bragging.

I asked a sincere question and expected a sincere answer... nothing more, nothing less.

I just wanted some sort of confirmation that my system will run Oblivion at an acceptable rate (I'll be playing at 1024 X 768)

I think the Post title is what got people..I picture you in your darkened office biting your nails looking at your system wondering..Whaaa..am I gonna be able to play Oblivion...whaaa!

dont forget these game makers want to make a kick @$$ product..but they also want to make a kick @$$ profit meaning more than 100 people need to be able to run this on their rigs and have it look great.

sorry if I came off harsh..I quite smoking yesterday and would like to kill something right now so this is therapeutic. :p

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Being able to successfully install and execute a game is a long way from being able to play it at a level that it is enjoyable... I knew I exceeded the min. requirements and even the recommended requirements. I just wanted to know (perhaps from someone who has played a beta) if my level of hardware would be enough to run it at an acceptable rating. If it's like Morrowind, the game was made for next-gen hardware and won't run worth a cuss on the original "recommended" specs.

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I too was very excited about Oblivion coming out..my enthusiasm has faded. I never played Morrowind so I decided to pick it up..zzzzzzzzz..I must not be into these games anymore despite thinking they are very cool and liking the concept. I gave up after getting killed by this "cave rat" 5 times. WTF was I doing wrong?? I jumped..blocked..stabbed..he wouldnt die..thinking that if I had this much trouble with a cave rat made me reconsider the whole game..now I am not so certain i'll play Oblivion..think I'll stick with FPS and Dawn of War Warhammer 40k :(

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I think I'm w/ you man... most rpgs are a yawn fest for me. I also hate the rats in Morrowind.

I think they are great games, and certainly help move the genre forward. I just like the more "in your face" attitude of fps and rts games.

As the once great Ah-nold said in (i think) Conan the destroyer durring a discussion; "Less Talk!"

Of course he said it with that big-dumb-sack-o-meat accent, and then threw a knife into the chest of some dude... you get the idea.

briteball

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
yeah with most rpg they are kind of a drag with the chance to hit system dragging them down...but with Oblivion its a real time...you swing you sword hits and they take damage... i much perfer that..and you'll be able to switch back and forth from FPS to 3rd person....i think that will be a big difference plus no stats to place...you get better the more you use the skillz...that is cool

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
... I'll be playing at 1024 X 768

I could maybe understand your question if you want to play it 1600x1200+ with 16xAF 4xAA...as it is, if a game can't play at 1024 X 768 on even a relatively new PC, that game would fail, utterly.

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
This REALLY shows my age but the only fantasy game I ever solved/completed from start to finish was one of the Zork games and Ultima 2..revenge of the enchantress..almost solved Ultima 7..that was a kick @$$ game in its day. :D

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Ultima 7 was a pain in the arse to get it running because of it's ultra complex requirements mainly resulting from its proprietary memory management system (I forget the word they came up with for it) I would sell my soul to the devil to have it run in all its glory on a modern, Windows-based system.

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Ultima 7 was a pain in the arse to get it running because of it's ultra complex requirements mainly resulting from its proprietary memory management system (I forget the word they came up with for it) I would sell my soul to the devil to have it run in all its glory on a modern, Windows-based system.

Hey, thats funny..I looked into what it would take to get it running briefly myself. What you said was what I recalled also, not easy to do. Seems like quite a few folks were interested in the subject of getting it running again but it seemed very tough.

Did you know that Ultima 7 was released on Super Nintendo? I couldnt believe it. I downloaded that rom and played it on a snes emulator. It was neat to see it again but it just wasnt the same..a much watered down version of its former glory :(

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
i doubt that the result that that link gave me correct it said i surpassed the recommended settings with a AMD 3200+ barton, 512 ddr333 ram, integrated graphics let alone all this in a HP like it will RUN Oblivion

your system is fine it will nearly run that game on it's highest settings, mine...NO

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006

Hey, thats funny..I looked into what it would take to get it running briefly myself. What you said was what I recalled also, not easy to do. Seems like quite a few folks were interested in the subject of getting it running again but it seemed very tough.

Did you know that Ultima 7 was released on Super Nintendo? I couldnt believe it. I downloaded that rom and played it on a snes emulator. It was neat to see it again but it just wasnt the same..a much watered down version of its former glory :(

A friend of mine bought it as part of a boxed collection of Ultima games (1 to 8 - it was before Ascension was released) for Windows and it worked fine. You just needed to run MoSlo or else your party ran around at lightning speed!

hjohnso2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks Llama_Man,

Very cool info, I am going to hunt for that collection and post a link where it can be found..

Rodeney..you might not have to sell your soul after all :)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

2 GB RAM
SB Live

Really, you're worrying too much. People like you are making all the psychiatrists so gleeful about this period before Oblivion's release. How in the hellish spheres of Oblivion do you think it would NOT run like a real beast?

If it doesn't the game will be in deep shit.

I think you're just showing off. Nice rig btw, except for the soundcard. If you have money for a 7800GTX why not at least a SB audigy4 card or something?
Or better yet, I would go for an X-Fi XtremeMusic; it's only $100US, and certainly would provide a massive quality improvement to any gaming. And besides, sound card technology advances far slower than other technologies, so chances are, like the power supply, a good sound card can be carried over to one's next computer.

i doubt that the result that that link gave me correct it said i surpassed the recommended settings with a AMD 3200+ barton, 512 ddr333 ram, integrated graphics let alone all this in a HP like it will RUN Oblivion

your system is fine it will nearly run that game on it's highest settings, mine...NO
Indeed, then the test should be off; the proper one, at any rate, can be found at the SRtest website itself; that may be an outdated version at nVidia's website.

Properly, you should've met the minimum requirements, assuming your integrated graphics are an Intel GMA 900 or 950, an nVidia GeForce 6100IPG or 6150IGP, or an ATi Radeon Xpress 200 or CrossFire Express 3200. However, truth be told, none of them are officially supported.

As for the recommended specs, yes, if you didn't have a pretty good video card, then you wouldn't match it. Even the best of integrated graphics are light-years from such video cards.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

2 GB RAM
SB Live

After playing the game myself, assuming you do nothing wrong as far as background programs, etc. to sap away performance, there's nothing you'll likely be able to do to get less-than decent performance. At all. (unless, of course, you, say, force the game to display EVERYTHING at once at FULL LOD)