The best motherboard for the lowest price

G

Hi,
I was just wandering if you would have to decide on the best motherboard for the lowest price for Athlon XP what would that be ?
Let's limit to mbs under 70$ as a rule.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Agree with camieabz, K7S5A (SIS 735) is the best <font color=red>current</font color=red> combo however, MSI got a new motherboard based on SIS 745 and think would be about US$ 75.
This motherboard support FSB 166 MHz and overclocking capacities such as volt, multiplier and FSB on 1 MHz increments (instead of K7S5A)

See a review of MSI 745 ultra at <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/msi/745ultra/745ultrap1.htm" target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/msi/745ultra/745ultrap1.htm</A>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Check out <A HREF="http://www.passwird.com" target="_new">Passwird.com</A> for hot deals, specifically for the one for a K7S5A & a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ for $159 @ Outpost. (Look under Friday, April 5th, 2002 for more details.) But, I think if you wanna go with this motherboard, this definitely looks like a great deal.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I have the Shuttle AK31A with the KT266A chipset and it is rock solid and fast with my XP1600+. Its $72 at newegg.com. Might be a few dollars more than the K7S5A, but I have both of these motherboards and prefer the Shuttle.

G

I ordered the ECS K7S5A (Sis735), but got the K7S6A (Sis745) instead, for the same price, they were out of K7S5A´s. I know the K7S6A can use PC2700, Firewire and support larger CPU and RAM, but how does the Sis745 chipset perform next to the Sis735?

I havn´t installed the board yet, should I return it and get the K7S5A, or keep it?

I have an Athlon XP 1600+, 256 PC2100, Radeon 8500 and 300W PSU. Should I get a larger PSU when using the Radeon?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jazzy_DK on 04/07/02 08:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
1) Don’t know good reviews and benchmarks on K7S6A but think that at least performs as good as K7S5A and also supports FSB 166 MHz.
2) Just keep that motherboard.
3) Always is a good idea to get a more powerful PSU (and knowing the issues with K7S5A and crappy PSU’s…), maybe 400 W.

dhlucke

Polypheme
ECS K7S5A definitely. Buy good ram and a good powersupply though.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
I read a review of the K7S6A, and it was pretty much the same as the 5A in benchmarks, but with better overclocking =) but no more onboard LAN :(

To the original poster, I like the Leadtek 7350KDA (also Sis735) with latest BIOS, its faster, better overclocking, rock stable and not so many conflicts, but its over your $70 threshold. So, I'd second the vote for Shuttle AK31A (KT266A) a nice deal at $72.

Lastly, I read somewhere the k7s5a has a conflict when using DDR mem and a pci modem. So if you have dial up, you'd need an AMR/CNR modem with your DDR mem. I don't know if this problem persists in the k7s6a.

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

Lastly, I read somewhere the k7s5a has a conflict when using DDR mem and a pci modem. So if you have dial up, you'd need an AMR/CNR modem with your DDR mem. I don't know if this problem persists in the k7s6a.
No that's not so. A system I built has a PCI modem and DDR PC2100. I <b>did</b> disable the codec stuff though.

No probs.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

bluzbrother

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I would have to second the Shuttle AK31A, it's has far less problems according to what I've seen in the forums. The K7S5A on the other hand I've heard way too many complaints in the forums. I personally have been very impressed by the shuttle board, it's been perfect ever since late october/early november. My system is extremely reliable.... I can leave it running for 12-15 hours and it never is frozen. I've had software issues with certain programs with WinXP but in terms of hardware this is by far the most reliable system I've owned.

AOL-For people who like to pay extra for their SPAM

dhlucke

Polypheme
Lastly, I read somewhere the k7s5a has a conflict when using DDR mem and a pci modem. So if you have dial up, you'd need an AMR/CNR modem with your DDR mem.

Nope, I have a pci modem and half a gig of PC2100 and haven't had to perform any tricks to get it to run. I've had absolutely no problems with this board.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
hmm, maybe it depends what kind. I think I read there was a problem when used with a Creative modem, perhaps its only that brand?

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

dhlucke

Polypheme
That's always possible. For anyone interested, here's a great forum for this board:

<A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=27" target="_new">OCworkbench</A>