velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi there, I have Guild Wars. I installed it and when i run it, it immediately asks for a key and won't let you do anything before entering a product key. I don't have one. But I heard the key is only for playing online.
How do i play the game stand alone?

fedaykin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
There is no "stand alone" offline play in Guild Wars. To play you must have a key, which means that you purchased the game. The client is free to download, which I'm assuming is what you did, but you need to purchase a key to play. :)

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, when you say "there is no stand alone offline play", do you mean that i can't play against the computer with all the monsters like in other games like Baldur's gate, Diablo, Icewin Dale, etc. Or is it like Quake 3 Arena where there its only online with other people?

There is no "stand alone" offline play in Guild Wars. To play you must have a key, which means that you purchased the game. The client is free to download, which I'm assuming is what you did, but you need to purchase a key to play. :)

fedaykin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
You can play against the computer but you have to be logged into the Guild Wars server to play, which means you must have a valid account associated with a purchased key. If you purchase a key, you can make an account and go online and play by yourself or with others... but you must have the key.

From the GW FAQ:
Is Guild Wars always played online?

Yes. Guild Wars is designed from the ground up to be an online game. This allows maximum security to prevent cheating by other players, so your gaming experience will not be diminished by others. Perhaps most importantly, our online network allows us to stream content to your computer, so you always have the most current version of the game, and play in a world that can change on a continuous basis.

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
As fedaykin said, you have to be logged into the servers to play. However, you can run the missions/quests alone (usually with the help of hired NPCs to fill up your party).

Atais

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Guild Wars is the MMORPG game! The thing is to play with other people...

If u dont want to pay for a game, try to look for unofficial server, i am shure there should be some.

Also.. u can host on your own, but playing with yourself would be quite boring coz there isnt storyline etc.. just exp and kill better mobs/ get better stuff, pvp :)

D-Drake88

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Do I have to pay xtra besides the game price to play Guild Wars?
e.g. can I pay for the game and still play it without payin anymore?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Once you purchase the game you don't have to pay anything else. Ever.
No $15/month, no required expansions, nothing.
Too bad it sucks for PvE.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
That would have been a shame - GW is a beautiful game, and given the lack of a monthly fee, easily the best online RPG out there. It does have limitations, such as the lack of a crafting system and lack of an auction house, but it was the first MMORPG I played, and it was delightful. Buy a key and have fun!

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
True that GW is a very pretty game, and it's fun for a long time. I just found that it was tilted towards PvP, which I could never really get into. But for $30 or whatever it is these days, it's definitely worth buying and playing. And now, on to my list of problems with GW (just in case anyone actually cares):

-No crafting = nothing to do
-Too many perfect weapons/items
-Adding 'unique' items just exacerbated the above
-Maps are linear and feel contrived, you're stuck on a path, not free to run where you want
-Very limited character customization, ie you look just like everyone else
-Weapon customization is very limited. Only a couple of the customizations are actually viable to play with.
-Armor customizations are stifling. You really should get to pick whatever style you want and be able to put 2 bonuses on each (for a hefty price, of course). That would allow much more freedom and customization.
-No soloing. You have to work with other people (a crapshoot), or with bots that are so retarded that if you die, chances are 10:1 that your whole party is toast.

Still, get it and play it. I logged over 100 hrs on my account before I really started to get bored. Good luck :D

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
No question it has limitations (the beautiful comment was meant for the graphics, not the game as a whole), but given that you own it outright, as opposed to renting like you do with WoW, it is well worth investigating. I must also say that I got better uptime with GW than I have with WoW, despite the lack of a constant revenue stream - maybe Blizzard could learn something on that score...

jonojace

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I agree with everyone that Guild Wars has its limitations. The limited mission experience and in my opinion a tiresome multiplayer. In general World of Warcraft is a much better MMO. However what Guild Wars does is better many other fee paying games, such as the notorious FFXI. Oh my that game sucks (but I still played it for like 6 months ^^). Good Times.

However if you are searching for a good MMO, based mainly on skill, AND it is FREE. Look no further than Shot Online!. It is a popular Golf based game, incorporating an addictive game thesis, sure to please a gamer, especially if one has at least three friends to play with. :wink:

Seyfoooooowww

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
However if you are searching for a good MMO, based mainly on skill, AND it is FREE. Look no further than Shot Online!. It is a popular Golf based game, incorporating an addictive game thesis, sure not to please a gamer, especially if one has at least three friends to play with. :wink:

Yay! Another Shot Online player, what level are you? ;D

jonojace

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Oh woops! I just replied to your official thread. Im level 20 how about you? I mostly play on the common server, and my username is jonojace. What's yours? :D