llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Naughty naughty no-no's!!! :twisted:
Seriously though, I haven't tried it. Is X3 any good?

It's fantastic - I absolutely love it. I didn't even finish the story-line in X2 because I wanted to move onto X3.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the X series. if you didn't like any of the previous games, it's unlikely to win you over. The production quality is higher than previous versions (less sound glitches) but still no way near as slick as, say, a FIFA game. But that's what you get with an X game!

For sheer "oh my god, it's 3am - where did the afternoon go?" factor, there are few better games. It really suits someone with megalomania tendencies, who hates linear games but has reasonable patience. A space shoot-em-up it is not - buy Freespace or I-War for that.

Oh and it's really, really pretty.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I tried X3 reunion (I love space sims) but I can't get over the fact that it's so complicated to switch between ships.

Last time I was docked at a station and pirates shot me. The game would be so much better if we could switch ships with a simple keyboard stroke, or did I miss something?

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
You're not being naughty are you? 8O

There is a legit fix out on the dev's site that will remove Starforce. I haven't heard about anyone having trouble with that though so I wonder why the question is being asked.

If it's just having the DVD or CD in the drive that buggers you, get the Steam version.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If I remember right there is a switch ships add-on that you can purchase that will transport you from one ship to the other if you’re within a certain distance. But having to jump out of your ship and fly about in your space suit kinda does add to the realism… Now all they need is the ability to walk about your own ships and space stations, that would be cool.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
You're right.

Ways to switch ships:

1. Jump out and fly in your suit (fun, but only a few times)
2. Buy the transporter device (Goner temple or Terracop HQ)
3. Dock both ships to the same station and use the change ships option

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
You're right.

Ways to switch ships:

1. Jump out and fly in your suit (fun, but only a few times)
2. Buy the transporter device (Goner temple or Terracop HQ)
3. Dock both ships to the same station and use the change ships option

How expensive is that transporter device? I'm just beginning in X3, if I can buy this device early in the game I might be interested in giving X3 a second shot

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
About 100,000 credits I think. Not worth it unless you change ships a lot (and why would you need to do that?). It only allows you to jump a short distance anyway.

Easier to get your ships to dock at the same station and switch there.

I've played X2 and X3 a lot, and I've never used the tranposrter devices. I tend to sit in one ship and remotely-manage my fleet.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
About 100,000 credits I think. Not worth it unless you change ships a lot (and why would you need to do that?). It only allows you to jump a short distance anyway.

Easier to get your ships to dock at the same station and switch there.

I've played X2 and X3 a lot, and I've never used the tranposrter devices. I tend to sit in one ship and remotely-manage my fleet.

Maybe I'm missing something... when I was in my freighter (trying to make money) I was attacked and could not switch to my fighter.

Do you rely on the AI fighter to defend you while you are in your freighter?

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Sounds like you might have been being too ambitious. If you only have 1 fighter, stick to trading in safe sectors that have fleet patrols. When you can afford it, equip your freighter with a jumpdrive and a few energy cells - if in trouble, jump the hell outta there.

But I find flying freighters frustrating and boring. Buy the remote trading software and run your freighter empire from the comfort of your M5/M4/M3.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Ah the memories, I managed to get 5 automated traders that could jump sectors and also managed to get 8 stations as well with each one having 3 or 4 trading ships each… Think I ended the game with about 60,000,000 in the bank… never did get that big ship I wanted in the end :cry:

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
You're doing better than me - I just have 5 Wheat Farms in Boron space, my Nova, an M4, two M5s and a dozen or so freighters (Super Dolphins mostly). Next plan is to open an illegal goods complex in Elena's Fortune.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I heartily agree with the Steam version recommendation. No DRM to mess with, and no disk in the first place to swap out. (which is even more annoying than ever because I now store all my disks in another room due to no place in my desk for them - not that I didn't already spend days fixing the No-CD portion of my games to save 15 seconds)

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I tried Eve online and instantly fell in love. I uninstalled X3

Slowly converting the masses. Look into my eyes, not around the eyes but into my eyes. * and you're under.

YOU WILL ALL JOIN EVE.

:lol:

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I really don't know anything about Eve, when I obviously should.

It is mostly combat, or does it have a strong economy and non-combat mission side to it as well?

Also, I gather it's mostly PvP, so would I suffer from being an occassional player? (I don't have 5 hours every night to spend gaming!)

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
From what Wolfydudes been saying, it seems like a second job just keeping up with everyone else. I don’t think my new flatmate would like me playing computer games all the time now since I moved the PC next to the telly and she likes her soaps.

snyderm

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
The NO CD fix has an error in it that makes the destop shortcut broken. To fix this:

Delete the desktop shortcut.

Go into your harddrive directory where X3 is installed and find the actual executable. X3.exe

Right click on it.

Select copy.

Paste it to the desktop.

The NO CD patch does not correctly fix your shortcuts. Once you use the real X3 Executable for your shortcut, you can start it without the CD.

I hope I have understood your question correctly. I could not get X3 to run with the NO CD patch installed until I did this. Maybe that is your problem as well.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I really don't know anything about Eve, when I obviously should.

It is mostly combat, or does it have a strong economy and non-combat mission side to it as well?

Also, I gather it's mostly PvP, so would I suffer from being an occassional player? (I don't have 5 hours every night to spend gaming!)

It can be anything, it's very open ended. You can fight, trade, mine, research stuff, etc. It can be PvP or not, up to you.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
And the best part is that you don't need to grind to move up "levels". You simply set a skill training and after x amt of time it will complete and u move onto the next. You only need to grind somewhat to earn money to buy ships.

blackeangle

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
Do you folks know that there is a offical 2.0 patch, which has realdy been released for 3 months, that removes ShitForce and allows you to play without the CD/DVD ?