Help! My computer keeps turning on by itself!

G

I just put together a system with a Gigabyte GA-7VRX mb. I have an Enermax 350 watt ps. Everything works fine. But when I'm done working on my computer and turn it off, anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes later it turns itself on again. Not the monitor or anything els. Just the CPU. And no, I do not have wol hooked up. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

G

The only thing I can think of is that you have some funny setting that makes it come out of hibernate after a few minutes. Or you have a ghost in the house that likes to play on your computer.

www.geocities.com/seven7gates/

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, that sounds weird. Maybe a virus infected your BIOS? Is that even possbile?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Could be a few things. One you have your computer scheduled to come on for defragging or something. It could very well be a virus too that infected your boot sector.

Jack Burton is a great man...

Do you have any children or animals in the house?

You never know. I've seen cats turn on light switches and dogs which open doors. Monkey see...monkey do.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

G

We have no pets but I do have childern. However I have sat and watched the cpu turn on right in front of my eyes. I have it plugged into a ups which I leave on all of the time. When I turn it off (the ups), obviously the cpu doesn't come on, but I would still like to know how it does it on it's own. I just put this system together and did a clean install of Win XP. Nothing else is even installed. Could it be the lan card even if I did not hook up the wol?

Thanks again.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In BIOS, does your Power Management Setup has a setting similar as <b><font color=red>RTC Resume</b></font color=red>, <b><font color=blue>Automatic Power Up</b></font color=blue> or <b><font color=green>Resume by alarm</b></font color=green> which will automatically turn on computer at certain time (is set by timer) that needs to be <b>Disabled?</b>.
Could it be the lan card even if I did not hook up the wol?
It could be if you have <b>'Wakeup by IRQ'</b> enabled.
Either way, check your Power Management if there is any unusual setting.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Thanks for the tip. I found a setting there (in the bios) that says "PME Event Wake Up - Enabled." Could that be it? What is a PME event? There does not appear to be a timer setting of any sort associated with it.

BTW, I also found out that I had wake on lan enabled in the bios but I didn't think that it mattered since I had not hooked up the wire to the mb. But I disabled it anyway. We'll see what happens.

Thank you one more time.

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Disable these two settings and you are on the right track.
I solved mine by doing this.:)

Never fight stupid person.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17357" target="_new">Rig</A>

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
BTW, it never hurts for doing that...so don't worry.
PME = Power Management Event

Never fight stupid person.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17357" target="_new">Rig</A>

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I built a computer for a friend and it kept turning itself on! Turned out that it was the mouse! The BIOS had a section called "IRQ Activity Monitoring" and IRQ12 was enables, meaning that whenever the mouse was moved slightly the computer would turn on. I found this strange since it was an optical mouse and it appeared to be turned off, but whenever the desk was jarred the mouse would move up. I disabled monitoring for all the IRQ'sand the system would power and it still kept waking up. There was another setting called "Primary INTR" and when it was turned on any interupt will wake up the system even if it is not being monitored! Anyway with both these off the system stopped turning on by itself. You might also want to check "State After Power Failure" and make sure it is set to "OFF" or "AUTO".

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Faulty, intermittent, power-on switch?

Try disconnecting the switch and see if the computer still turns itself on.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

G

Thanks for all the help. I disabled "wol" and "PME event wake up" in the bios and all is well. Thank God I didn't have to call the Ghostbusters!

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
My pleasure!:)

Never fight arrogant bastard