vid card I 6000

Can the vid card be replaced (upgraded) on a I6000d? This currently has ATI
x300, 64MB and I want to upgrade to 128 MB. I believe that x300 is all this
chassis will take. Is this true? Where to get an upgrade card and where are
there instructions? I assume the vid card has some proprietary heat sink/fan
combo for Dell specifically.

Thanks for any info.

BigJim

the 300 is their low end card you could put an 800 in if you want.

"A & L" <andrea@ABCWebDesignandConsulting.com> wrote in message
> Can the vid card be replaced (upgraded) on a I6000d? This currently has
> ATI x300, 64MB and I want to upgrade to 128 MB. I believe that x300 is all
> this chassis will take. Is this true? Where to get an upgrade card and
> where are there instructions? I assume the vid card has some proprietary
> heat sink/fan combo for Dell specifically.
>
> Thanks for any info.

pry bar and shoe horn anyone ;)

Its a laptop he's got not a desktop!

The x300 128Mb would/is all that you can fit but its prob not worth the
effort as its a complete strip down to fit it and the cost of the card
from Dell would make it not a good idea.

--
If you want to email me then use this:

MikeT at dsl dot pipex dot com

In his laptop? They make an X800 laptop card?

"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the 300 is their low end card you could put an 800 in if you want.
>
> "A & L" <andrea@ABCWebDesignandConsulting.com> wrote in message
>> Can the vid card be replaced (upgraded) on a I6000d? This currently has
>> ATI x300, 64MB and I want to upgrade to 128 MB. I believe that x300 is
>> all this chassis will take. Is this true? Where to get an upgrade card
>> and where are there instructions? I assume the vid card has some
>> proprietary heat sink/fan combo for Dell specifically.
>>
>> Thanks for any info.

I believe it is a daughter card and fairly easy to change. I believe the
X600 would fit, but don't know that Dell offers it.

Best bet would be to sell the machine and buy the machine with the card you
want.

I've got a nice Inspiron 9300 with a 128MB X300 that I'd consider doing a
trade for your I6000. I love the 9300 but have fallen in love with my
daughter's 6000.

Tom
"MikeT" <MikeT@invalidaddress.com> wrote in message
> pry bar and shoe horn anyone ;)
>
> Its a laptop he's got not a desktop!
>
> The x300 128Mb would/is all that you can fit but its prob not worth the
> effort as its a complete strip down to fit it and the cost of the card
> from Dell would make it not a good idea.
>
> --
> If you want to email me then use this:
>
> MikeT at dsl dot pipex dot com

thanks for all the replies. Yeah, it looks like the x300is the limit.
Different chassis from anything else. I don't mind the labor in stripping
down a laptop as I 've done it before to a Gatewy M505 and old Inspiron
3500, but the price of the card itself would be somewhat prohibitive. Plus
just trying to find one floating around out there not already attached to a
laptop....

BigJIm wrote:

> the 300 is their low end card you could put an 800 in if you want.
>
> "A & L" <andrea@ABCWebDesignandConsulting.com> wrote in message
>
>>Can the vid card be replaced (upgraded) on a I6000d? This currently has
>>ATI x300, 64MB and I want to upgrade to 128 MB. I believe that x300 is all
>>this chassis will take. Is this true? Where to get an upgrade card and
>>where are there instructions? I assume the vid card has some proprietary
>>heat sink/fan combo for Dell specifically.
>>
>>Thanks for any info.

Is the Dell Precision M70 the same chasis as the I6000 (and D810)? If
so, it uses the NVIDIA® Quadro® FX Go1400 256MB which is basically the
same as the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra (I've read that the
performance is almost identical with the right drivers). If that's the
case, I'm inclined to say either of those cards would work on the I6000
(but I'd search google to verify).

"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> BigJIm wrote:
>
>> the 300 is their low end card you could put an 800 in if you want.
>>
>> "A & L" <andrea@ABCWebDesignandConsulting.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Can the vid card be replaced (upgraded) on a I6000d? This currently has
>>>ATI x300, 64MB and I want to upgrade to 128 MB. I believe that x300 is
>>>all this chassis will take. Is this true? Where to get an upgrade card
>>>and where are there instructions? I assume the vid card has some
>>>proprietary heat sink/fan combo for Dell specifically.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any info.
>>>

> Is the Dell Precision M70 the same chasis as the I6000 (and D810)? If so,
> it uses the NVIDIA® Quadro® FX Go1400 256MB which is basically the same as
> the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra (I've read that the performance
> is almost identical with the right drivers). If that's the case, I'm
> inclined to say either of those cards would work on the I6000 (but I'd
> search google to verify).

I'd bet it would work too, since the I9300 is available with both the ATI
and the Nvidia card. Can't imagine Dell wouldn't require common connectors.

Tom

On September 18 2005, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>> "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> BigJIm wrote:
>>
>>> the 300 is their low end card you could put an 800 in if you want.
>>>
>>> "A & L" <andrea@ABCWebDesignandConsulting.com> wrote in message

x300 >>>> is all this chassis will take. Is this true? Where to get an

>> Is the Dell Precision M70 the same chasis as the I6000 (and D810)?
>> If
> so,
>> it uses the NVIDIA® Quadro® FX Go1400 256MB which is basically the
>> same
> as
>> the 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra (I've read that the
> performance
>> is almost identical with the right drivers). If that's the case, I'm
>>
>> inclined to say either of those cards would work on the I6000 (but
>> I'd search google to verify).
>
> I'd bet it would work too, since the I9300 is available with both the
> ATI and the Nvidia card. Can't imagine Dell wouldn't require common
> connectors.
>
> Tom

Since the 6000 only has 1 cooling fan for both the cpu and video card
sinks which is mounted on the left rear of the chassis and the M70 and
I9300 both have a seperate fan on the right rear with the sink assembly
for the video directed that way I would suggest it is a no go. Even if
you were to manage to use an X300 sink assembly that points the right
way for the 1 fitted fan, any hard use of the video card would no doubt
cause a strong buning smell from inside the case.

Mike.