Archived from groups: (More info?)

Tilted Mill announced the upcoming release of Caesar IV, and I don't know
about you, but that really surprised me! Vivendi publishes the game, and
release date is 2006.

General information and gallery:
http://www.caesariv.com/

Official Forums:
http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/

M.

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Tilted Mill announced the upcoming release of Caesar IV, and I don't know
> about you, but that really surprised me! Vivendi publishes the game, and
> release date is 2006.

I hope it's not going to be like Children of the Nile, only Roman.

IMHO, the old builder series reached its peak with Zeus

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tilted Mill announced the upcoming release of Caesar IV, and I don't know
>>about you, but that really surprised me! Vivendi publishes the game, and
>>release date is 2006.
>

> I hope it's not going to be like Children of the Nile, only Roman.
>
> IMHO, the old builder series reached its peak with Zeus

I am still a backer of Caesar II. Great graphics, great gameplay, and
moderately sane walkers. Most things still used the traditional
area-of-influence system for delivery.

Is it XP compatible? I recall it crashing on un-pause on XP, but I don't
think I had adjusted the compatibility properties for it.

--
Leons Petrazickis
import java.lang.Disclaimer;

On the 25 Aug 2005, "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Tilted Mill announced the upcoming release of Caesar IV, and I don't know
> > about you, but that really surprised me! Vivendi publishes the game, and
> > release date is 2006.
>
> I hope it's not going to be like Children of the Nile, only Roman.

I'm thinking of getting Children of the Nile. What's it like? I notice
nobody seems to be discussing it here.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

"Graham Thurlwell" <NOSPAM@jades.org> wrote in message
> On the 25 Aug 2005, "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Tilted Mill announced the upcoming release of Caesar IV, and I don't
know
> > > about you, but that really surprised me! Vivendi publishes the game,
and
> > > release date is 2006.
> >
> > I hope it's not going to be like Children of the Nile, only Roman.
>
> I'm thinking of getting Children of the Nile. What's it like? I notice
> nobody seems to be discussing it here.

Pharaoh "For The Masses". Basically a dumbed down Pharaoh. Nice idea with
changing delivery walkers into gathering walkers, but in doing so it took
the real skill out of the game.

CotN has each house/shop send out walkers to buy/gather the things they
need. This is similar to reed gathers / hunter in Pharaoh, but is used for
everything. Whilst this is more "realistic" and greatly improves the
EverLoathed(tm) walkers, it has the unfortunate effect of making the game a
SelfPlayingSandbox(tm) which requires almost no real skill. Just plop down
the buildings anywhere you what, the economy still works well enough. In
Pharaoh, the major skill required was carefully crafting your districts to
ensure adequate walker coverage. Whilst I will complain about this as much
as the next person, at the end of the day, that is what the game really
revolved around. In CotN this aspect has been removed (or made of very
little importance), thus taking away the only real skill requirement.

The unit of currency is "food" which on the whole works reasonably well,
however shops in busy areas quickly amass a huge amount of food(money) that
they simply can't spend, thus acting as a drain on the economy. In theory
these shopkeepers are then supposed to "rise" to the next level of nobility,
however they can't do this unless there is a vacant house (of the correct
type) for them to move into. So it sounds like the "little people" have to
earn their wealth and then rise through the ranks, but it doesn't work this
way. The first generate of shopkeepers immediate rise to nobility to fill
all the empty houses, and then the second generation (the ones that move in
after the first lot move uptown) get stuck with nowhere to go.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I'm thinking of getting Children of the Nile. What's it like? I
> notice
> nobody seems to be discussing it here.

$15 and its all yours. Box, docs, 2day usps.
cderfv/at/sbcglobal.net

On the 29 Aug 2005, "Bob" <none@none.com> wrote:

> > I'm thinking of getting Children of the Nile. What's it like? I
> > notice
> > nobody seems to be discussing it here.
>
> $15 and its all yours. Box, docs, 2day usps.
> cderfv/at/sbcglobal.net

I'm in the UK, so postage will probably cost more than that. IIRC, it's
down in price to around £15 (GBP) so I'll just buy it from the shop.
Thanks for the offer, though.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Tilted Mill announced the upcoming release of Caesar IV, and I don't know
> about you, but that really surprised me! Vivendi publishes the game, and
> release date is 2006.
>
> General information and gallery:
> http://www.caesariv.com/
>
> Official Forums:
> http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/
>
> M.

Definitely good news. I loved Caesar III and can only imagine how much a 3D
engine would be able to add to it. Did they say when in 2006?

Brad
--
Brad Wardell
Project Manager: Galactic Civilizations II (http://www.galciv2.com)

Archived from groups: (More info?)

>Definitely good news. I loved Caesar III and can only imagine how much a 3D
>engine would be able to add to it.

This alone won't make it a different game, though. Two-perspective isometric
isn't that different than a fully 3D world with only two valid camera locations...

C//