k-333? k-400? k-266A? Asus? Iwill? Epox? MSI?HELP!

rojover

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
hi there, people! After years of apassionate relation, my old ovrclkd P-2 448 seems to be disengaging from the fight :frown: , and i save some money for an update. I'm after an xp 1700+/1800+,with 256 mb of ddr, and just have bought a 3d blaster gforce2 ti (for just 120 eu (100 $)!!). The problem is what mobo to get!! it was 4 good years with an asus p2bf, and maybe i'll get the a7v333 (thats the name?). But read good reviews of Epox, MSI, and Iwill models with kt-333? in fact, i've read so many reviews across the net so im sure i've see a "excellent" rating on almost every damn mobo in this world!!! Help!! need some advice. THanks aLot

i'll get to Honorary Veteran, you'll see!!10600 post,a post per day,it makes...29 years... :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well...
the current crop of kt333 chipsets seem a good idea, until you see that the ram and fsb are running asynchronously. and thats just bad.
its also why u dont see much performance difference between the kt266a and the kt333.

so unless you plan on unlocking the XP and running synchronously at 166/166 then the kt333 is a waste and would be better going for a kt266a

that beind said the kt266a is very nice and fast. possibly the best for my eyes is the soltek.

NOTE:
as i am an overclocker i look for the following in a new motherboard.

A. nice clear area around the socket (NO CAPACITORS!) so i can fit a big HSF

B. lots of mofsets for clean regulated power (asus usually cuts corners here unfortunately)

C. bios overclocking options including:
Ca. cpu multiplier
Cb. cpu voltage must go over 1.85V
Cd. fsb to 200 and at least a 1/5 divider
Ce. DDR voltage
Cf. AGP voltage

D. Onboard raid/sound/lan

E. lots of fan headers. at least 2 bieng monitorable.

F. good positioning of power connector near top & IDE cables also near top.

G. added goodies like antivirus software & others.

currently the best ive seen is either the Soltec kt266A board or more recently, the Epox 8K3A+ (kt333)

You're an embarrisment to nature you know that?