Mouse advice please

Hi,

Has anyone used a mouse like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-DELL-USB-Optical-Mouse-for-Laptop_W0QQitemZ5809931887QQcategoryZ23156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm after a small mouse to use with my laptop PC, and wondered what
these were like. Fairly obviously they aren't really Dell brand, but do
they work ok, does the pointer move around smoothly etc. etc?

I have tried one cheap off-brand already and it worked ok but not as
nicely as my full-size microsoft mouse, in as much as it seemed more
'skittish' and the pointer didn't move around so smoothly or
controllably. It was also _too_ small, and these are a little bit bigger.

Yes, I know the answer is to get a decent brand, but the MS notebook
mouse is USB only and I'd like USB & PS/2 compatibility, and I haven't
usually found Logitech mice to my taste.

i have used a similar optical mouse from Targus for a couple years. It
doesnt have the groovy blue light, but I like the small size and its worked
very well. I bought it for my infant son because of its small size for his
little hands, but he wanted to use "daddy's mouse" instead. So, i took the
mini to work and have used it there ever since as it doesnt take up much
space to use.

It tracks just fine and all that, good resolution too ... gets goofy every
now and then, but I cant attribute this behaviour to the mouse itself as it
happens on my Dell C640 with a PS2 mouse as well. probably just a driver
issue, but not sure.

- NuTs

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone used a mouse like this one?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-DELL-USB-Optical-Mouse-for-Laptop_W0QQitemZ5809931887QQcategoryZ23156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> I'm after a small mouse to use with my laptop PC, and wondered what these
> were like. Fairly obviously they aren't really Dell brand, but do they
> work ok, does the pointer move around smoothly etc. etc?
>
> I have tried one cheap off-brand already and it worked ok but not as
> nicely as my full-size microsoft mouse, in as much as it seemed more
> 'skittish' and the pointer didn't move around so smoothly or controllably.
> It was also _too_ small, and these are a little bit bigger.
>
> Yes, I know the answer is to get a decent brand, but the MS notebook mouse
> is USB only and I'd like USB & PS/2 compatibility, and I haven't usually
> found Logitech mice to my taste.

Not Dell, but I've used an unbranded USB mouse with my Optiplex with no
problems. I use it in the PS2 socket with an adapter to free up a USB port,
so no driver issues, but it works fine there as well.

John Fryatt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone used a mouse like this one?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-DELL-USB-Optical-Mouse-for-Laptop_W0QQitemZ5809931887QQcategoryZ23156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>

> I'm after a small mouse to use with my laptop PC, and wondered what
> these were like. Fairly obviously they aren't really Dell brand, but do
> they work ok, does the pointer move around smoothly etc. etc?
>
> I have tried one cheap off-brand already and it worked ok but not as
> nicely as my full-size microsoft mouse, in as much as it seemed more
> 'skittish' and the pointer didn't move around so smoothly or
> controllably. It was also _too_ small, and these are a little bit bigger.
>
> Yes, I know the answer is to get a decent brand, but the MS notebook
> mouse is USB only and I'd like USB & PS/2 compatibility, and I haven't
> usually found Logitech mice to my taste.

Probably fine, I have a small IBM USB mouse for my ThinkPad, very
convenient.

> John Fryatt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone used a mouse like this one?
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-DELL-USB-Optical-Mouse-for-Laptop_W0QQitemZ5809931887QQcategoryZ23156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>> I'm after a small mouse to use with my laptop PC, <snip>
>
> Thanks all for your opinions. V. useful.

I've bought 3 or 4 of these Dell-badged mini-mice, and they're fine. They
even came with a PS2 adapter. Perfect for a laptop/notebook bag.

Stew