Can't sign into Messenger

Hi
I can't sign into Windows Messeneger. My password and log in are definately
correct. When I try it says the service is temporary unavailable but when I
check the site it says that it is available. Its been doing this for days.
I think it might be something to do with cookies because i can't read my
emails at a different email address either. Could anyone help me with the
messenger problem?
Only thing I think could have changed any setting was that I tried to set up
a wireless network the other day.

Alan

Iain Mc wrote:
> Hi
> I can't sign into Windows Messeneger. My password and log in are definately
> correct. When I try it says the service is temporary unavailable but when I
> check the site it says that it is available. Its been doing this for days.
> I think it might be something to do with cookies because i can't read my
> emails at a different email address either. Could anyone help me with the
> messenger problem?
> Only thing I think could have changed any setting was that I tried to set up
> a wireless network the other day.

Look to make sure you are using the latest/greatest version.

Greetings Iain,

Since you can't immediately login, remember that you can try logging into the Web Messenger,
at least until you can restore your normal Messenger functionality:
http://webmessenger.msn.com

However, here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't already.

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @ http://memberservicesnet.passport.com/memberservice.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
then click OK
and do the same for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
9. If using MSN Messenger 7, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category,
click the Advanced Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try
again.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Iain Mc" <IainMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I can't sign into Windows Messeneger. My password and log in are definately
> correct. When I try it says the service is temporary unavailable but when I
> check the site it says that it is available. Its been doing this for days.
> I think it might be something to do with cookies because i can't read my
> emails at a different email address either. Could anyone help me with the
> messenger problem?
> Only thing I think could have changed any setting was that I tried to set up
> a wireless network the other day.

Hi,I kept getting signed off msn messenger when I downloaded from microsoft
some up dates since then each time windows start it starts normally then
flashes and then display gets bigger and I have to go to display to alter
size of windows,all I can say is that I have even gone to the tools and
options on the messenger window and gone to connections and ticked connection
logging and it goes to the desktop and you can send it to msn just open it
and it has what to do at the top of the form saved ..........

"Iain Mc" wrote:

> Hi
> I can't sign into Windows Messeneger. My password and log in are definately
> correct. When I try it says the service is temporary unavailable but when I
> check the site it says that it is available. Its been doing this for days.
> I think it might be something to do with cookies because i can't read my
> emails at a different email address either. Could anyone help me with the
> messenger problem?
> Only thing I think could have changed any setting was that I tried to set up
> a wireless network the other day.

Thankyou Johnathon Your suggestion about the options on messenger and
advanced settings and unchecking all the options worked ..I can sign on to
messenger now...

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> 9. If using MSN Messenger 7, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category,
> click the Advanced Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try
> again.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Iain Mc" <IainMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I can't sign into Windows Messeneger. My password and log in are definately
> > correct. When I try it says the service is temporary unavailable but when I
> > check the site it says that it is available. Its been doing this for days.
> > I think it might be something to do with cookies because i can't read my
> > emails at a different email address either. Could anyone help me with the
> > messenger problem?
> > Only thing I think could have changed any setting was that I tried to set up

Hi,

Glad to hear it :)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert