HELP! Really strange wireless problem

For the past 4-5 years, this is what I have been running:
-- Motoroal Surfboard modem
-- SMC Barricade router
-- Ethernet cable from the router to my desktop PC
-- Netgear ME101 Access Point with ethernet cable to the router
-- Netgear PCMCIA wireless card on my laptop

Everything has worked flawlessly since installation. Last year the
modem died and I replaced it with a new Surfboard and it all works
fine.

Last week, I could not connect with the laptop through the wireless
network. On the laptop's desktop, bottom right corner, the network
icon had a red X, could not find the network. I could access the
Internet if I connected an ethernet cable from the laptop to the
router but would not work through the wireless connection. When I
click on the network icon, the pop-up box does not show an available
wireless network.

I unplugged, removed, re-installed, re-set, and generally screwed
around with both the access point and the wireless card for three
days. Nothing.

I figured something was dead so I treated myself to a new LinkSys
access point and wireless card. Setup for both went fine, but, no
connection. The green "Act" light on the access point has never
lighted -- power and link lights are lighted. The link light on the
card blinks like crazy. The desktop network icon still shows red X
and no wireless network detected.

I called Bombay, India, and spoke with LinkSys tech support -- Rajif
walked me through 30 minutes of click here, click there, re-set,
unplug, etc. and finally told me to go get a new access point.

What is confusing me is that the trouble started with my old access
point -- suddenly, there was no wireless connection where there had
been a reliable connection.

Why would two different access points not work? Am I being jammed by
aliens? Do I need an aluminum foil hat? Would an exorcist help?

Thanks.

SPQR
<<<<
2 answers Last reply
More about help strange wireless problem

    Check the cabling. Sometimes there's a push-button switch on the router that
    changes the Tx and Rx wires. For some connections you need the cross-over,
    for others you don't. Either the switch was mistakenly pushed or the old AP
    died and the new one needs the different cable from the router.

    "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote in message news:<40f81576_3@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
    > Check the cabling. Sometimes there's a push-button switch on the router that
    > changes the Tx and Rx wires. For some connections you need the cross-over,
    > for others you don't. Either the switch was mistakenly pushed or the old AP
    > died and the new one needs the different cable from the router.
    >
    > "SPQR" <PopUlist349@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > For the past 4-5 years, this is what I have been running:
    > > -- Motoroal Surfboard modem
    > > -- SMC Barricade router
    > > -- Ethernet cable from the router to my desktop PC
    > > -- Netgear ME101 Access Point with ethernet cable to the router
    > > -- Netgear PCMCIA wireless card on my laptop
    > >
    > > Everything has worked flawlessly since installation. Last year the
    > > modem died and I replaced it with a new Surfboard and it all works
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > Last week, I could not connect with the laptop through the wireless
    > > network. On the laptop's desktop, bottom right corner, the network
    > > icon had a red X, could not find the network. I could access the
    > > Internet if I connected an ethernet cable from the laptop to the
    > > router but would not work through the wireless connection. When I
    > > click on the network icon, the pop-up box does not show an available
    > > wireless network.
    > >
    > > I unplugged, removed, re-installed, re-set, and generally screwed
    > > around with both the access point and the wireless card for three
    > > days. Nothing.
    > >
    > > I figured something was dead so I treated myself to a new LinkSys
    > > access point and wireless card. Setup for both went fine, but, no
    > > connection. The green "Act" light on the access point has never
    > > lighted -- power and link lights are lighted. The link light on the
    > > card blinks like crazy. The desktop network icon still shows red X
    > > and no wireless network detected.
    > >
    > > I called Bombay, India, and spoke with LinkSys tech support -- Rajif
    > > walked me through 30 minutes of click here, click there, re-set,
    > > unplug, etc. and finally told me to go get a new access point.
    > >
    > > What is confusing me is that the trouble started with my old access
    > > point -- suddenly, there was no wireless connection where there had
    > > been a reliable connection.
    > >
    > > Why would two different access points not work? Am I being jammed by
    > > aliens? Do I need an aluminum foil hat? Would an exorcist help?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > > SPQR
    > > <<<<

    Well, it seems as though Rajif in Bombay knew what he was talking
    about.

    I took the LinkSys access point back to the place where I bought it
    for an exchange. The one I bought was an 802.11b, I swapped it for a
    new 802.11g AP and paid the $20.00 difference.

    Setup went smoothly and it worked perfectly -- in fact, I am sitting
    in the living room access the 'net through the wireless network.

    SPQR
    <<<<

Wireless Ethernet Card Wireless Networking