Clean Install of Windows 7 Questions

nort

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I have a question about doing a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. I recently purchased a new SSD at newegg that I plan to install Windows 7 on it for my desktop. My major issue is that I also plan to install Windows 7 on another laptop I have. The laptop has a Windows 7 64bit key. I was wondering if I would be able to install 7 on the ssd using the key that came with my oem and do a clean install on my laptop using the key that came with my laptop.

tl;dr
1 Windows 7 64bit disc, 2 keys. Would it work?

On another note, this is my first time doing a clean install for a laptop. Is there anything that I would need to know that's different than a normal clean install, such as any specific software or setup guideline so that windows recognizes that it's using a battery and not a psu?

Is the Windows 7 disk you have OEM that came with the computer or a full retail version?

OEM keys can only be used with OEM Win 7 versions, and only on the system that the Win 7 disk was made for. If you bought a retail version of Win 7, the OEM keys from the systems will not work with that.

For installing Win 7, the only thing you need to get is make sure that the system has Win 7 drivers.

You are good to go.

Actually, all the windows-7 64 bit dvd's are the same.

I used an update 32 bit dvd to replace a 64bit Windows-7 on a Lenovo laptop and successfully reused the laptop OEM 64 bit key. No problem. ( I had a app that needed a 32 bit os)
I replaced the original laptop hard drive with a ssd. There may be some drivers that you may need get from the laptop support site to later install.

I don't know about that, I used a Lenovo key with a Win7 disk from another maker and it did not work. It installed, but a few days later started giving me messages about it being counterfit.

I used a Microsoft windows-7 update dvd which comes in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. A windows restore disk from a OEM might be something different

I used one of the two dvd's(32 bit and 64 bit) included in an update package. They are considered retail qualifying you for microsoft support.

The distinction between retail-clean install, retail-upgrade, and OEM is determined by the product key used to activate, not the dvd which contains everything. The key also determines wether you get home premium, professional, or ultimate. I had no issue with activating, I did not even have to call microsoft.