To OEM or not to OEM...

spoondigity

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
I am about to buy an Athlon XP processor. In the past I have always purchased retail processors for the warranty. I am just curious if most other people go with OEM chips to save money. It seems a bit risky to me... What is the majority opinion on this?

FatBurger

Illustrious
You'd probably get more responses in the CPU forum, but oh well.

Usually I tell people to go retail, but when somebody is planning on OCing then I say OEM, because it saves a couple bucks and they're voiding the warranty anyway.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
If it saves u A LOT for going OEM, you should try it.

Never fight arrogant bastard
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17357" target="_new">Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Who overclocks? Anyway, if I have a heat failure do to "optimizing" my performance, it's Intel's fault because that would indicate faulty heat protection.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Retail also comes with an hsf, but with oem you have to buy one separate, so in the end they may work out to roughly the same cost. OEM definatley though if you want to overclock since you would toss the retail hsf anyway and get a better cooler, and as fatburger already pointed out, you'll be voiding the warranty anyway.

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

FatBurger

Illustrious
He's buying an Athlon XP, would you still be upset at Intel for poor heat protection?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I guesse you would have to figure out whether the problem was the board or the CPU in that case. As for me, I've done horrible things to my PIII's without damage, like running them as high as 2.6v to see how far I could overclock, with no noticable damage! At 2.5v they would run, at 2.6v they would overheat internally regardless of cooling.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I buy everything OEM or refurbished from Newegg.com and have never had a problem with them. Saves me a bundle, like about @. Good Luck, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
It is my understanding that a retail CPU generally runs cooler and is more likely to be OC'd successfully. Is this correct?

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I alway buy OEM CPU because CPU does not fail often. If it is not fail in the first week then it is not likely it will fail within a few years.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, the OEM and retail CPUs are exactly the same (the CPU itself, I mean).

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you ever heard of anyone who had a CPU replaced under warantee. Even if the CPU is dead on arrival, they won't believe you. Ask you retailer about CPU returns and see what they say.

Definately go OEM.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've talked to several people who have gotten returns for DOAs (including myself, but never for a CPU), both retail and OEM.