Sign in with
Your question

Wake up call: An FPS worth producing...

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2006 11:56:34 AM

As most of all know, there are a lot of First Person Shooter (FPS) games on the market. For example, there is Call of Duty, Serious Sam, Halo, and a gabillion others, unfortunately however, most of these are not worth playing. There are a few exceptions like, Soldier of Fortune 2, Unreal Tournement, and Serious Sam.

Too many of the FPS games these days, are "cartoony". Halo, as well as, Halo 2 are the worst at this. I'm sorry, but I'm an adult. Running around and shooting big green blobs at Bugs Bunny doesn't tickle my pickle anymore. I want to see human-like figures being shot at, as well as, having realist blood squirting from their head that I have just relocated. Also, the implementation of realistic weapons is necessary, for example, the M-16, AK-47, MP5, ect. The weapons in Halo are not by any means realistic. It's frustrating when you pull out a big gun which spouts off massive (and can't forget colorfull) rounds at your opponent, which then makes a horrendous BOOM after being hit, and your opponent just jumps right back up with a "...no shit?" :o  :? look on his face and returns the favor. Can we get anymore lame?

*Turns up Contrast and Brightness to 80,000,000%* Ok. Now that I can see, let's talk about DOOM 3. Doom 3 is a great game. The monsters, AI, weapons, theme, and graphics are great. DOOM 3 probably has close to the best or maybe THEE best graphics. Unfortunately, the morons who developed the game made it so dark that you can't see shit. It's like, "Thanks morons. I just bought two 7800GTs to play this graphically intense game at maximum quality, but wait...what's that?..Oh ok, you mean I spent $1000 dollars so I could watch a black screen in 1600 x 1280 at 200 frames per second?....oh no shit? 8O ...cool... :D  :roll: "
I do understand as to why DOOM 3 was made so dark. I assume they were trying to build an atmosphere, but my "boogie-man" and "fear of the dark" days are over. So please don't conjure up feeble attmepts to scare me. Be more creative. Fortunately enough, DOOM 3 is the only game (from my experience) that has turn a good game into an abomination by making the entire game dark. I just hope no others follow in their lead.

Next is gameplay and control; bad gameplay and control can ruin a good game. Call of Duty and Joint Operations are prime examples of a good game with bad gameplay and control. With further elaboration on what I'm reffering to as "bad gameplay and control":

Bad Gameplay: In the game Call of Duty, your charactor is hunched over and you can't see very far in front of you. Whenever I'm playing Call of Duty, I always find my self hunched over as well, and trying to peer acrossed the map to see the enemies. The game presents a confined sence of being and it makes it very difficult to be aware of your surroundings. It is sort of hard to describe because it's more of a feeling, however, Call of Duty presents this "confined" feeling like no other game. Therefore, I don't find much interest in it.

Bad Control: Call of Duty and Joint Operations both have terrible control...or should I say response times. Everything is delayed. For example, I can run to the fridge and grab a beer and be back at my seat before my charactor has finally switched his weapon. When I'm sniping someone at the other end of the map and then, all of a sudden someone runs up to shoot me, I want to be able to switch from my sniper rifle to my shotgun, instantaneously, at the press of a button...instead of "Oh you wanna shoot me?...ok Time out, let me find my shotgun and take the trigger lock off of it...ok now I'm ready...TIME IN!".
Also, the aiming, sights, and crosshairs need to be alittle better (yes I know they can be modded, but only to a certain degree). In Call of Duty, you are presented with this very wide crosshair, in which it is so innaccurate that you can't hit anything unless it is directly in front of you. :idea: :idea: Hey, I know! If I spam the other side of the map with enough bullets, I'm bound to hit someon-OH SHIT! 8O Sorry TK. :( 

Time for a resolution, to all of this bullshit. Instead of just sitting here complaining and then leaving it at that, let's look at all the positive features from each game and make a compilation into one magnificent game. The perfect game would be, basically, Soldier of Fortune 2 with a face lift. Just simply increase the quality of the graphics. Then add huge maps similar to those in Call of Duty, BF2, and Joint Operations, mix that in with a few vehicles from the other games (tanks, helicopters, jeeps, ect), and you have the perfect game. :D  It's not that hard to figure out, but sometimes you just need a crayon. :roll:

On a final note, all of these comments and questions are all simply retorical. However, if you must, feel free to add comments, but don't bother with any inane attempts to convince me that Halo kicks ass. That will only further convince me that it sucks. :D 
Anonymous
February 1, 2006 12:31:22 PM

Sorry there; but you contradict yourself with almost every sentence you write here...

You want a realistic game right? Then don't complain about weapon switching times.

And you don't like cartoony games? Yet you like serious sam...

Got something against colourful laser beams, but love UT? WTF?

Doom3. It's got a function to calibrate the brightness level.

Bad control in COD? Are you playing with a gamepad?

Bad response time in COD? I wonder what system you use and on what resolution you try to play that game.

And you cannot seriously complain about the accuracy of the weapons in COD. Just take something else than a machinegun.

Sorry bud; but I cannot take any of the above seriously...
February 1, 2006 1:00:08 PM

LMAO well that is because you have never played SOF2. :D 
Related resources
February 1, 2006 3:25:02 PM

Hell yeah!! :D  Now that's what I'm talking about. Soldier of Fortune 2 is the best FPS game out and no other comes close. However, if I were to pick a second favorite, it would probably be Counter Strike.

P.S. If you do reinstall SOF2, come on into the Heret!c Extreme Damage server. That's where I play about 90% of the time. :D  8) My game name is [Heret!c][Hex] 8)
February 2, 2006 4:09:57 AM

everyone should take a look at stalker, this game is going to blow your minds :)  im eating myself alive waiting for it. the thing i like about the developers is that their takeing their time and not giving into pressure(like battlefield2 did) and theyre releasing a perfect game, amazing look at the pics and stuff.
February 2, 2006 6:52:22 AM

you got any links for stalker? or others

OP, I think the reason that people have a hrd time with the post is because you word it as if you know better than I do what I like, though I am sure that's not your intention. Its a matter of preference.

I personally love BF2, in spite of the bugs. its damn hard to find the right server, and my system is really showing it's age when I play it, but I do, about 10 hrs a week. (which is a lot for me). My upgrade should come soon, and I plan on playing at full res. I caught a glimpse of it and that basically decided my upgrade then and there.

I can't wait for BF3, the euro pack looks kinda lame, except for more maps.
February 2, 2006 9:10:46 AM

I too have heard of this S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game. I saw previews for it about a year ago, but nothing ever came of it. So after waiting so long, I just gave up...when it's ready, it'll come out...
February 2, 2006 1:34:19 PM

Meh I'm kinda like the same way about my games. There isn't a single FPS game that doesn't have some kind of realism error. I've never played SOF2, but I want to, yet its not in stores anymore I think.

The beef I have with FPS developers is

1) The general lack of attention to detail. Simple things like reloading animations are inaccurate, each game basically creates their own unique gunshots, and few games actually utilize ragdoll physics. I liked Joint Operations, but it didn't have any ragdoll, which kinda sucked IMHO.

2) Just about every FPS game out there that claims its "realistic" isn't because the weapons are too balanced. A really realistic FPS game wouldn't have that. The only thing that would probably be used to balance out gameplay is to add more weapons to the side that has the crappier stuff.
February 5, 2006 6:13:35 AM

thats why i looovvveee counterstrike:source, it could be more tactical than free for all though. stalker has been in the works for like 5 years, i dont care about the polycount but just the colors are insane, the plains are so vivid and the sky sunrise, sunset. but well see whats to come, they just finished the engine and the game so i hiighhllyy doubt they will redo the graphics.
February 5, 2006 7:19:48 AM

Awesome! I'll keep my ears and eyes pealed for a release date. I can't wait for it to come out. :D 
February 5, 2006 5:57:51 PM

Have none of you guys ever heard of Planetside? It is the most well rounded fps on the market bar none. Or are we talking about free games? Has infantry, air and armor. create outfits and join alliances for large scale action. Can have up to 500 people fighting over one base. 10 bases per continent at least 8 continens. Dont know why no one ever talks about this game of for that matter why it is never advertised. I have been playing almost 3 years and still have fun with it. And yes I have tried all the other games you mentioned. None come close as an online experience.
February 6, 2006 12:26:50 AM

I have never even heard of Planetside, but I will definately check it out....It sort of sounds similar to Joint Operations...
February 6, 2006 3:30:42 AM

I too was very bummed about the gameplay of Doom3. The whole constant room to room got old in the dark having to use patches to get a gun with flashlight. We've figured out how to colonize Mars but can't put a flashlight on a weapon. As far as single player game play I did like HL2 and Far Cry. I do however wish game makers would take out the whole "we've got to have a monster section in the game". I'm surprised BF2 doesn't have you killing some type of mutant people.
As far as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. goes they actually came close to releasing it but at the final review they felt the game play and storyline sucked and was not up to par with the current games at the time like HL2 and Doom3. So they basically re-did the entire story line and I'm sure are using the latest shaders, parallax mapping, and HDR to improve the quality and overall gameplay. It is supposed to be released in Q3 of this year but I've heard that before. I'm sure with Chernobyl being the back drop I can guarantee you a mutant section in the game.
February 6, 2006 11:28:43 AM

I have to say, I really like COD2, (if your playing COD; it's 2006 ffs) anyway, visibility is not a problem, unless your talking about the dust clouds and the snow. Try sitting up in your seat, u wont feel so Hunched that way... I think the game is very accurate, unless your trying to use a machine gun while running down the road, (Perhaps CSS is the game for you in this case) Blood splashes aren’t great, but kids of 15 play this. Characters are getting more human like, the skin colours and blemishes are brilliant.

I know what you mean about changing weapon, for you it might be better if you didn’t show your gun, i don’t know your Spec, but can only think that loading your pistol into memory/then having to draw it is what may be slowing you down.

I played Planetside a few years back, it was great, but the machine i had, lagged somewhat and i recon the server connection /server did too. Nice big battles, but a little cartoony if u know what i mean ;-) Will my copy still work? i will have to spend money to play it i know.. Its the one with the Purple Bot/human on the front...

Fear is supposed to be nice! but bit Dark.. thats the shame about night time, and not well lit places. You dont have HDR do you? plays havock with your aim..

Ted
February 7, 2006 12:19:14 PM

Planetside is going to have a free trial soon (2 weeks) and yes your old copy should work to load game but will have large updates. There are NO bots in game. All players are human.
February 12, 2006 8:02:38 PM

Go get Counter Strike:Source and rejoice. You want to put a burst of 5.56mm bullets through the visor of a Counter Terrorist operative? Go ahead. You want an AK? M4? Get Counter Strike: Souce. You actually have to have skill to kill people its not like some other fps where it is constant spray with no accuray degradation. :D 
February 13, 2006 4:54:27 AM

skill is knifeing a whole team of 6 t's 2 at a time, ive got skill 8)
February 14, 2006 7:15:36 AM

From personal experience :

Doom3 was perfect & scary had only 1 thing missing : duck tape
(They overdid it with the "door opens in your back" thing but i was
still great, and you remained paranoid for the entire game)

HL2 was nice and flashy. Felt more Real. But was too easy. Way too easy

Serious Sam 2 : Best Zerg game ever (i said Zerg).
One trillion monsters, just blow them away. (Was great in its category)

Deus Ex : 1 word : Customisation

Counterstrike (HL1 , Oldschool) : Ugly but highly addictive !

Delta Force : Old, Slow, Ugly, Sniper Heaven.

I havent played other FPS, since they wont offer anything.
What i really want is a "Deus Ex" like FPS with "Delta Force" feeling
(Customisation & Wide open spaces).

Ps : SHOGO Owned !
February 14, 2006 10:11:48 AM

LMAO melee weapons kickass! 8)
February 15, 2006 2:50:43 PM

Realism? Play world war II online. The graphics aren't great, but the gameplay rocks. The first game I ever played that you actually used the iron sight to aim. Trying to hit targets at 200 yards is difficult, and more often than not you get creamed by MG emplacements and tanks. It is the only game that generates the 'fear' feeling in me when I play. I am not a big fan of counter strike, but I haven't played any new versions, halo is fun, COD is fun. SOF2 is also fun.
February 16, 2006 1:32:26 AM

Americas Army is very realistic and I am playing alot right now. Dont forget to try Planetside though.
February 21, 2006 9:31:46 PM

Quote:
Realism? Play world war II online. The graphics aren't great, but the gameplay rocks. The first game I ever played that you actually used the iron sight to aim. Trying to hit targets at 200 yards is difficult, and more often than not you get creamed by MG emplacements and tanks. It is the only game that generates the 'fear' feeling in me when I play. I am not a big fan of counter strike, but I haven't played any new versions, halo is fun, COD is fun. SOF2 is also fun.

I didn't know that WW2 online was still around. I might have to dig up my copy of that game and reactivate my account. I remember I bought a force feedback controller just to play that game. =D
February 27, 2006 3:13:59 PM

Quote:
From personal experience :

Doom3 was perfect & scary had only 1 thing missing : duck tape

quack!
May 4, 2006 3:45:42 PM

Your original post struck me as a little weird. I second the first post.
You don't like cartoony, but you like UT 2004?
You like SOF2- a good game- but don't like COD??? Huhh?
Well, nuff said there.

Swat 4 is a lot of fun. A little Buggy., but a blast to play. Split up your guys into two teams. Bang the door. Not a shooter in the classic sense, because its Swat and you can't just kill everything. The controls are easier to master than they seem at first. The graphics are great (except bot faces) and the level design is the best i have ever scene. It regens differntly every time you play it, so suspects and hostages are never in the same spot twice. You have to be careful, control your guys and the action comes in hectic spurts. There are a few bugs though. And NO MUTANTS.

COD and COD2 are two of the finest shooters ever! HANDS DOWN!
I don't know what poor gameplay you refer to. It has the best looking , feeling, and sounding weapons in gaming, far better than the plinkers in Doom 3. The best smoke and lots of peripheral airfights and background battle. COD2 is a masterpiece (except the tank level which is weak).
Al though it gets a little repetitive, there is just enough variety to keep you interested till the battle heats up. It is so intense on hard level, it will leave you shaky.

Fear is great but a real bitch on the system. Bullet time is cool. the Weapons are great and it looks tremendous. Creepy. Level design is a little boring.

Doom3 just sucks. I didn't even finish it. It is the most beautiful and irritating game ever made. How many times is an IMP going to flash and throw a fireball. There are sections in the game where a zombie marine will do big damage, no matter what you do.Only the shotgun gave any satisfaction. The pistol and machine gun were pathetic.

HALF-LIFE 2 DEATHMATCH. That it! The actual game is very good. there are just enough problems in it that keep it from being perfect, but i am addicted to DM!
I can't survive a second in CS.S, but can hang with the best servers in HL2 DM or TDM. Don't understand it!

You might enjoy Riddick! that is a different type of FPS. Very well done if you bind your keys well. It looks great and the ability to sneak, see in the dark, climb things and break necks is very cool.

I think you were really wondering what parts from FPS games you would keep in one game:

The Doom 3 Engine. Hl2's great code writing. Weapon sounds and feel from COD2, Sound effects from HL2 and COD2, Bullet time from FEAR, Level design from Swat 4, /Prison battle-Gravity Gun-Crossbow-Walkers-Facial features-Hackblades-Lighting-Special effects from Half-life 2, AI from FEAR/Smoke from COD2/ScrollControl system from Swat4, Night vision and cut scenes from Riddick. Supernatural weirdness from FEAR.

Finally, here is a game to avoid at all costs: Land of the Dead!
May 5, 2006 3:23:30 PM

I lost interest in your post when I read you thought Doom 3 was a good game that was ruined by the darkness. My opinion was further backed up when I read later on that you think SoFII is the best FPS ever.

I think that's all that needs to be said really.
May 5, 2006 3:27:26 PM

I lost interest in your post when I read you thought Doom 3 was a good game that was ruined by the darkness. My opinion was further backed up when I read later on that you think SoFII is the best FPS ever.

I think that's all that needs to be said really.
May 8, 2006 1:42:14 AM

FarCry is a fantastic game the better of a machine the better the game is, the higher you can push the graphics it becomes almost breathtaking at times, initially I was extremely disapointed with the game when it got to the Trigens [mutated monkeys and human soldiers], however the game is so huge there are entire sections when there are no mutations in the game at all, and game play can be whatever you want it to be.

If you've never played it you should grab yourself a copy and give it a try, I snagged a second copy the other day to play on my second gaming rig with friends for $13.99, almost a joke I paid 50 bucks for it when it was first released.

I still go back and play Serious Sam Second Encounter online, SS2 was OK but in my opinion not as good as SSSE was, SSSE didn't have the graphics like SS2 but the overall gameplay was better, but thats my opinion.

The dark type games have always been creepy and if you were a dark type game lover, I'd have to reccommend Aliens vs Predator 2, that game can almost make you have a heart attack at times, especially if you're a Aliens and Predator movie fan in the first place, but the intensity of the game is definitely not for the squimish.

F.E.A.R. is a good game in my opinion, I've played it through about 4 times, it would be better without the slow motion segments, and the stalling when it auto saves, its dark cast also but not as bad as some i've played.

Being pretty much a FPS addict I too hope for the ultimate game one day to balance out really breathtaking high end graphics with realism and serious opponents, blood and gore all the way, realistic body movements when being shot along with realistic body damage, but not leaving it there if I get a wild hair and decide I want to cut loose with a rocket or grenade launcher and just blow me an alternate path through a wall or such that the environment could also be manipulated to the extent that the destructive force could actually produce.

The producers of the original Red Faction had hit on this concept but other game software designers never went for it, thats sad for that concept could make every gaming experience a new adventure no many how many times you play the game.

Also have random enemy cycling, meaning one time you play through there may be 3 enemies to deal with at a certain location, the next time maybe none at that location or 4, 5, or 6, constantly changing, under those circumstances everytime you played the game it would be different, you could never let your guard down, thinking you knew what was around the next corner.

The original Aliens vs Predator had this random enemy cycling feature, but it wasn't a PC game it was the A vs P release for the Atari Jaguar 64bit console system, which by the way was fantastic in its day and a game I truly loved.

Maybe one day we'll get that perfect PC platform FPS. :D 
May 17, 2006 8:17:59 AM

hrm, you seemed to have devolped a intrapersonal communication problem....i reccomend a blender hat
May 22, 2006 2:59:15 PM

"doom 3 is thee best looking game" :lol:  so i guess u haven't played fear. fear gets my best looking game ever award, runner ups. hl2 and other games on the source engine, bf2 has good graphics when maxed out. cod2 looks good, splinter cell chaos thory single player w/ sm 3.0 looks amazing.
June 28, 2006 9:21:51 AM

the only correct thing u mentioned is halo sucks
!