How do I uninstall Messnger?

I tried everything but it just seems to be impossible to uninstall Messenger
4.7 until someone suggested the following:

---quote---
1. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Add/Remove windows
components >
then scroll down and uncheck the windows messenger box.

2. Start > Run | then type: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
%windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
---unquote---

But before I do this, is this safe? This looks like something pretty heavy.

Also I'm not sure why windows has MSN 4.x built into its OS and i dont know
why it doesnt atomatically remove itself or get replaced when you upgrade to
a 6.x version? Maybe someone could shed some light on that as well.

;-)

The procedure is safe enough..

A question.. why do you think that MSN 4.7 has started up when it actually
says in the title bar "WINDOWS Messenger".. MSN Messenger 6 is NOT an
upgrade for WM 4.7.. please take note of the different name..

You might want to look at this website too..

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger.php

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"R." <no@spam.pls> wrote in message
>I tried everything but it just seems to be impossible to uninstall
>Messenger
> 4.7 until someone suggested the following:
>
> ---quote---
> 1. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Add/Remove windows
> components >
> then scroll down and uncheck the windows messenger box.
>
> 2. Start > Run | then type: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
> %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
> ---unquote---
>
> But before I do this, is this safe? This looks like something pretty
> heavy.
>
> Also I'm not sure why windows has MSN 4.x built into its OS and i dont
> know
> why it doesnt atomatically remove itself or get replaced when you upgrade
> a 6.x version? Maybe someone could shed some light on that as well.
>
> ;-)

Greetings,

Don't bother with #1, #2 will take care of it.

By removing Windows Messenger in this fashion, Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application
Sharing will no longer work in MSN Messenger (if you are using that instead). Otherwise you
should be fine.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"R." <no@spam.pls> wrote in message news:N_NJe.164898$Th3.8902670@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
>I tried everything but it just seems to be impossible to uninstall Messenger
> 4.7 until someone suggested the following:
>
> ---quote---
> 1. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Add/Remove windows
> components >
> then scroll down and uncheck the windows messenger box.
>
> 2. Start > Run | then type: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
> %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
> ---unquote---
>
> But before I do this, is this safe? This looks like something pretty heavy.
>
> Also I'm not sure why windows has MSN 4.x built into its OS and i dont know
> why it doesnt atomatically remove itself or get replaced when you upgrade to
> a 6.x version? Maybe someone could shed some light on that as well.
>
> ;-)

Hi Mike,

The funny thing is that on another PC I'm using Trillian. I only have
Messenger 4.x there (no 6.x). Sometimes the Messenger icon is shown in the
system tray. Usually when I start OL.

;-)

R.

> The procedure is safe enough..
>
> A question.. why do you think that MSN 4.7 has started up when it actually
> says in the title bar "WINDOWS Messenger".. MSN Messenger 6 is NOT an
> upgrade for WM 4.7.. please take note of the different name..
>
> You might want to look at this website too..
>
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/messenger/messenger.php
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "R." <no@spam.pls> wrote in message
> >I tried everything but it just seems to be impossible to uninstall
> >Messenger
> > 4.7 until someone suggested the following:
> >
> > ---quote---
> > 1. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Add/Remove windows
> > components >
> > then scroll down and uncheck the windows messenger box.
> >
> > 2. Start > Run | then type: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
> > %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
> > ---unquote---
> >
> > But before I do this, is this safe? This looks like something pretty
> > heavy.
> >
> > Also I'm not sure why windows has MSN 4.x built into its OS and i dont
> > know
> > why it doesnt atomatically remove itself or get replaced when you
upgrade
> > a 6.x version? Maybe someone could shed some light on that as well.
> >
> > ;-)

Jonathan, I did what it said and when I get to "Windows Components" and
scroll there is no windows messenger. This is irritating to say the least.
Everytime I start the computer a message comes up asking me if I want to
update to a newer version. All I want to do is remove messenger completely.
I have an icon at the botton if that means anything, with a red X in it.
Thank you.
--
Susan M

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Don't bother with #1, #2 will take care of it.
>
> By removing Windows Messenger in this fashion, Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application
> Sharing will no longer work in MSN Messenger (if you are using that instead). Otherwise you
> should be fine.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "R." <no@spam.pls> wrote in message news:N_NJe.164898$Th3.8902670@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> >I tried everything but it just seems to be impossible to uninstall Messenger
> > 4.7 until someone suggested the following:
> >
> > ---quote---
> > 1. Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Add/Remove windows
> > components >
> > then scroll down and uncheck the windows messenger box.
> >
> > 2. Start > Run | then type: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
> > %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
> > ---unquote---
> >
> > But before I do this, is this safe? This looks like something pretty heavy.
> >
> > Also I'm not sure why windows has MSN 4.x built into its OS and i dont know
> > why it doesnt atomatically remove itself or get replaced when you upgrade to
> > a 6.x version? Maybe someone could shed some light on that as well.
> >
> > ;-)

Hi,

Click the Start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay