have a few computers running messenger 5 on a SIP server. a couple
weeks ago, they were all running well, then one day, two of the
computers the messenger wouldnt even start.you'd click on it, and
nothing would happen. this had happened to me before, and the only way
i found around it was to flatten the machine and reinstall windows.
Reinstalling messenger works fine, but when you cick on the icon it
still doesnt start.
ALL machines are running XP. The closest I am getting is it has to be
one of the updates doing it....

Any ideas on this?

Greetings,

Download and run both of these .reg files:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg

You'll need to reboot to see the change.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert