DVD+R or DVD-R

I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
..iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jordan
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I am using Nero 5.

    Thanks. I appreciated the help. Now, I need to make a decision on
    which software to buy. Do I upgrade my Sonic RecordNow software that
    came with the laptop or buy Nero 6.3 or 6.6. Any suggestions? Thanks
    again.

    Is it the latest version of Nero? You may have to update to get support for
    the NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A.

    "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
    > bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
    > .iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
    > all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
    > Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
    > Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
    > documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
    > I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    > Jordan

    Based on my google search, the 6650A is actually both + AND -, so either
    kind of disk is just fine. I buy whatever is cheaper.

    It is also a dual-layer drive, so it can write 8.5Gb disks (currently
    unbelievably expensive).

    If you have the ISO file, and need to burn the CD, and have Nero installed,
    just double click the ISO file in Windows Explorer. It should bring up Nero
    all ready to burn.

    Tom
    "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
    > bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
    > .iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
    > all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
    > Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
    > Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
    > documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
    > I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    > Jordan

    One thing to consider when opting for +R or -R would be any other devices
    you plan to use the output on - many of today's DVD players will use one or
    the other (but not both)

    > Based on my google search, the 6650A is actually both + AND -, so either
    > kind of disk is just fine. I buy whatever is cheaper.
    >
    > It is also a dual-layer drive, so it can write 8.5Gb disks (currently
    > unbelievably expensive).
    >
    > If you have the ISO file, and need to burn the CD, and have Nero
    > installed, just double click the ISO file in Windows Explorer. It should
    > bring up Nero all ready to burn.
    >
    > Tom
    > "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
    >> bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
    >> .iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
    >> all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
    >> Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
    >> Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
    >> documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
    >> I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >> Jordan

    According to NEC, you need Nero 6.3 or 6.6
    http://support.necsam.com/oem/cd-rom/nd6650A.asp

    >I am using Nero 5.

    No surprise. Rather than being able to detect and work properly with just any
    old CD-RW or DVD-RW, Nero constructs an elaborate list of the devices it
    supports. With each release, devices get added, and maybe even taken away.

    The Roxio and NTI commercial products work just about the same... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:02:52 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >According to NEC, you need Nero 6.3 or 6.6
    >http://support.necsam.com/oem/cd-rom/nd6650A.asp
    >
    >"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I am using Nero 5.

    I just made a coaster with the included Sonic LE (Dim 9100) when trying to
    burn a Knoppix iso. Seems the LE can only burn iso's as a bootable data
    disk instead of using the raw data from the iso. A quick trip to
    www.burn4free.com and I could burn the iso properly. You might want to look
    into that free program while you are deciding how to spend more $.
    Anne

    > Thanks. I appreciated the help. Now, I need to make a decision on
    > which software to buy. Do I upgrade my Sonic RecordNow software that
    > came with the laptop or buy Nero 6.3 or 6.6. Any suggestions? Thanks
    > again.

    I use Nero 6.6. It meets all of my needs.

    "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks. I appreciated the help. Now, I need to make a decision on
    > which software to buy. Do I upgrade my Sonic RecordNow software that
    > came with the laptop or buy Nero 6.3 or 6.6. Any suggestions? Thanks
    > again.

    "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
    >bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
    >.iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
    >all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.

    Get a copy of Burn4Free, (search) I did and am burning on all of my
    computers. Roxio junk is gone and so is Nero.
    --
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

    no_one@nownhere.invalid wrote:

    > Get a copy of Burn4Free, (search) I did and am burning on all of my
    > computers. Roxio junk is gone and so is Nero.
    > --
    > A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    > Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
    > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Nero and Roxio is junk only to those too stupid or too drugged out to figure
    out how to use them.
    To be completely honest, when you compare Burn4Free, it is in no way
    comparable to Nero or Roxio.

    Bobby

    Nero 7 is due to hit the shelves next month. If you purchase 6.6 be
    sure and get the free upgrade.

    I have been told DVD+R has more error correction capability, and is
    compatible w/more set top DVD players. My personal experience is that
    both + and - work equally well.

    "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
    >bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
    >.iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
    >all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
    >Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
    >Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
    >documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
    >I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    >Jordan

    Nero and Roxio (and NTI's CD-Maker) can be very problematic in their various OEM
    versions, because they are often limited to use a particular make of drive, a
    particular brand of computer, or, worse yet, very specific makes and models of
    drives. This should not be confused with either stupidity or drugged-out-ness
    on the part of people using them.

    Too often, the CD burning software comes pre-installed with a computer (and
    often in the case of Dell, with a CD containing the software). The CD burning
    software is bundled to work with a specific drive, which croaks. The person who
    owns the computer replaces the drive, and the CD burning software no longer
    works... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:19:33 GMT, "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:

    >no_one@nownhere.invalid wrote:
    >
    >> Get a copy of Burn4Free, (search) I did and am burning on all of my
    >> computers. Roxio junk is gone and so is Nero.
    >> --
    >> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    >> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
    >> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    >> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    >
    >Nero and Roxio is junk only to those too stupid or too drugged out to figure
    >out how to use them.
    >To be completely honest, when you compare Burn4Free, it is in no way
    >comparable to Nero or Roxio.
    >
    >Bobby

Dell DVD Computers