DVD+R or DVD-R

I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
..iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jordan

Thanks. I appreciated the help. Now, I need to make a decision on
which software to buy. Do I upgrade my Sonic RecordNow software that
came with the laptop or buy Nero 6.3 or 6.6. Any suggestions? Thanks
again.

Is it the latest version of Nero? You may have to update to get support for
the NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A.

"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
> bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
> .iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
> all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
> Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
> Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
> documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
> I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> Jordan

Based on my google search, the 6650A is actually both + AND -, so either
kind of disk is just fine. I buy whatever is cheaper.

It is also a dual-layer drive, so it can write 8.5Gb disks (currently
unbelievably expensive).

If you have the ISO file, and need to burn the CD, and have Nero installed,
just double click the ISO file in Windows Explorer. It should bring up Nero
all ready to burn.

Tom
"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
> bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
> .iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
> all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
> Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
> Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
> documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
> I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> Jordan

One thing to consider when opting for +R or -R would be any other devices
you plan to use the output on - many of today's DVD players will use one or
the other (but not both)

> Based on my google search, the 6650A is actually both + AND -, so either
> kind of disk is just fine. I buy whatever is cheaper.
>
> It is also a dual-layer drive, so it can write 8.5Gb disks (currently
> unbelievably expensive).
>
> If you have the ISO file, and need to burn the CD, and have Nero
> installed, just double click the ISO file in Windows Explorer. It should
> bring up Nero all ready to burn.
>
> Tom
> "DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
>> bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
>> .iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
>> all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
>> Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
>> Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
>> documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
>> I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>> Jordan

No surprise. Rather than being able to detect and work properly with just any
old CD-RW or DVD-RW, Nero constructs an elaborate list of the devices it
supports. With each release, devices get added, and maybe even taken away.

The Roxio and NTI commercial products work just about the same... Ben Myers

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:02:52 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>According to NEC, you need Nero 6.3 or 6.6
>http://support.necsam.com/oem/cd-rom/nd6650A.asp
>
>"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am using Nero 5.

I just made a coaster with the included Sonic LE (Dim 9100) when trying to
burn a Knoppix iso. Seems the LE can only burn iso's as a bootable data
disk instead of using the raw data from the iso. A quick trip to
www.burn4free.com and I could burn the iso properly. You might want to look
into that free program while you are deciding how to spend more $.
Anne

> Thanks. I appreciated the help. Now, I need to make a decision on
> which software to buy. Do I upgrade my Sonic RecordNow software that
> came with the laptop or buy Nero 6.3 or 6.6. Any suggestions? Thanks
> again.

I use Nero 6.6. It meets all of my needs.

"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I appreciated the help. Now, I need to make a decision on
> which software to buy. Do I upgrade my Sonic RecordNow software that
> came with the laptop or buy Nero 6.3 or 6.6. Any suggestions? Thanks
> again.

"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
>bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
>.iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
>all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.

Get a copy of Burn4Free, (search) I did and am burning on all of my
computers. Roxio junk is gone and so is Nero.
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

no_one@nownhere.invalid wrote:

> Get a copy of Burn4Free, (search) I did and am burning on all of my
> computers. Roxio junk is gone and so is Nero.
> --
> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Nero and Roxio is junk only to those too stupid or too drugged out to figure
out how to use them.
To be completely honest, when you compare Burn4Free, it is in no way
comparable to Nero or Roxio.

Bobby

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Nero 7 is due to hit the shelves next month. If you purchase 6.6 be
sure and get the free upgrade.

I have been told DVD+R has more error correction capability, and is
compatible w/more set top DVD players. My personal experience is that
both + and - work equally well.

"DigitalHighway" <network2network@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have some questions in regards to Dell's DVD recordable drive. I just
>bought a Inspiron 6000 with a NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A. I tried creating an
>.iso image of ubuntu(Linux)with Nero on my laptop. That didn't work at
>all. I didn't even hear the cd-rom moving during the burning process.
>Sounded idle. What is the correct procedure for creating .iso images on
>Dell laptops with Nero? Also, I am having problems finding
>documentation on how to burn a dvd cd. Which DVD recordable dvd roms do
>I buy? DVD+R or DVD-R? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>Jordan

Nero and Roxio (and NTI's CD-Maker) can be very problematic in their various OEM
versions, because they are often limited to use a particular make of drive, a
particular brand of computer, or, worse yet, very specific makes and models of
drives. This should not be confused with either stupidity or drugged-out-ness
on the part of people using them.

Too often, the CD burning software comes pre-installed with a computer (and
often in the case of Dell, with a CD containing the software). The CD burning
software is bundled to work with a specific drive, which croaks. The person who
owns the computer replaces the drive, and the CD burning software no longer
works... Ben Myers