Video in WinMessenger - UPnP Issues

Hi. I am trying to understand how we can get audio/video to work in Windows
Messenger (v5) when both clients are behind their NAT gateways attached to
broadband connections. We have checked to make sure that the WinXP SP2
firewall has both Windows Messenger and the UPnP Framework exceptions
allowed, and that UPnP has been enabled on our routers (one is a Draytek
Vigor 2600, the other is a Netgear DG834GT).

Windows Messenger video/audio still won't work, however we tested MSN
Messenger, and that DID work. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to use MSN
Messenger, so am trying to get Windows Messenger to work. What am i missing?
Do I need to do more than just "enable" UPnP on the routers? Any help
gratefully received.

Thanks
Mark
4 answers Last reply
More about video winmessenger upnp issues

    I'm no expert on this but you could check the following:
    1/ On your Windows XP clients, check that Internet Gateway device discovery
    and the UPnP user interface options are on, both to be found in network
    services of add/remove windows components. Often that last one isn't needed
    but sometimes it can make a difference.
    2/ Are two clients behind the Vigor router able to do a video conference
    with each other? And the same for the Netgear? This may help you to narrow
    down the problem to one router or the other, or to individual clients on
    each router.

    My interest in this is the Vigor. I was considering getting one :-)
    My Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 supports upnp but needs resetting every 2-3 days
    because the UPnP detection stops working, and Zyxel are not interesting in
    fixing it.

    HTH
    Mike

    "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I am trying to understand how we can get audio/video to work in
    > Windows
    > Messenger (v5) when both clients are behind their NAT gateways attached to
    > broadband connections. We have checked to make sure that the WinXP SP2
    > firewall has both Windows Messenger and the UPnP Framework exceptions
    > allowed, and that UPnP has been enabled on our routers (one is a Draytek
    > Vigor 2600, the other is a Netgear DG834GT).
    >
    > Windows Messenger video/audio still won't work, however we tested MSN
    > Messenger, and that DID work. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to use MSN
    > Messenger, so am trying to get Windows Messenger to work. What am i
    > missing?
    > Do I need to do more than just "enable" UPnP on the routers? Any help
    > gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    Thanks for the reply Mike.

    1. I have checked, and Internet Gateway device discovery is installed. UPnP
    user interface options however, were not. I shall re-test, with that option
    added.

    2. Yes, if both clients are on the same LAN (ie, both behind the same
    gateway), Windows Messenger works fine. The problem only occurs once both
    clients are behind their respective NAT'ed gateways.

    Thanks
    Mark

    "Michael Taylor" wrote:

    > I'm no expert on this but you could check the following:
    > 1/ On your Windows XP clients, check that Internet Gateway device discovery
    > and the UPnP user interface options are on, both to be found in network
    > services of add/remove windows components. Often that last one isn't needed
    > but sometimes it can make a difference.
    > 2/ Are two clients behind the Vigor router able to do a video conference
    > with each other? And the same for the Netgear? This may help you to narrow
    > down the problem to one router or the other, or to individual clients on
    > each router.
    >
    > My interest in this is the Vigor. I was considering getting one :-)
    > My Zyxel Prestige 652-R11 supports upnp but needs resetting every 2-3 days
    > because the UPnP detection stops working, and Zyxel are not interesting in
    > fixing it.
    >
    > HTH
    > Mike
    >
    > "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I am trying to understand how we can get audio/video to work in
    > > Windows
    > > Messenger (v5) when both clients are behind their NAT gateways attached to
    > > broadband connections. We have checked to make sure that the WinXP SP2
    > > firewall has both Windows Messenger and the UPnP Framework exceptions
    > > allowed, and that UPnP has been enabled on our routers (one is a Draytek
    > > Vigor 2600, the other is a Netgear DG834GT).
    > >
    > > Windows Messenger video/audio still won't work, however we tested MSN
    > > Messenger, and that DID work. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to use MSN
    > > Messenger, so am trying to get Windows Messenger to work. What am i
    > > missing?
    > > Do I need to do more than just "enable" UPnP on the routers? Any help
    > > gratefully received.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Mark

    I am no expert, so consume this with care. With communicator, the other
    IM tool comparable to Messenger, there is a registry setting called
    'EnableUPNP' under HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\Communicator... I
    wonder if there is anything similar for Windows Messenger you need to
    set to make Messenger do UPnP. Check the messenger documentation on the
    various registry keys or group policies they support.

    Another thing to see is, if your router can display what the various
    firewall rules are, including the ones that UPnP capable devices
    dynamically create, you can then check them after you make the call. My
    DLINK router has that capability and has been immensely useful in
    checking if UPnP is being put to use or not.

    --
    kayjo
    kayjo's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4863

    Thanks Kayjo

    I have opened a case with MS Support, and will post findings here.

    "kayjo" wrote:

    > I am no expert, so consume this with care. With communicator, the other
    > IM tool comparable to Messenger, there is a registry setting called
    > 'EnableUPNP' under HKLM\software\policies\microsoft\Communicator... I
    > wonder if there is anything similar for Windows Messenger you need to
    > set to make Messenger do UPnP. Check the messenger documentation on the
    > various registry keys or group policies they support.
    >
    > Another thing to see is, if your router can display what the various
    > firewall rules are, including the ones that UPnP capable devices
    > dynamically create, you can then check them after you make the call. My
    > DLINK router has that capability and has been immensely useful in
    > checking if UPnP is being put to use or not.
    >

    > --
    > kayjo
    > kayjo's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=4863

Messenger Video Windows XP