Uru won't work w/CD-RW drive?!

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I picked this up today, and every time I try to run the game it tells me the
CD isn't in the drive. A quick peek at the support site tells me Uru is
incompatible with CD-RW drives and all virtual drives must be uninstalled.
Honestly, who doesn't own a CD-burner these days?! Does Cyan completely out
of their minds releasing a game that can't be played on 90% of PCs? There
has to be a workaround for this; I uninstalled my virtual drive, tried the
CD in the CD-RW, DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drive. Nada. This is a joke,
right?

Aphelion

Aphelion wrote:
> I picked this up today, and every time I try to run the game it tells me the
> CD isn't in the drive. A quick peek at the support site tells me Uru is
> incompatible with CD-RW drives and all virtual drives must be uninstalled.
> Honestly, who doesn't own a CD-burner these days?! Does Cyan completely out
> of their minds releasing a game that can't be played on 90% of PCs? There
> has to be a workaround for this; I uninstalled my virtual drive, tried the
> CD in the CD-RW, DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drive. Nada. This is a joke,
> right?
>
> Aphelion

I think you have to play the game from the drive you installed
it from. It should play in a DVD drive.

By the way, there's a Safedisc fix you might need if you use XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=eae20f0f-c41c-44fe-84ce-1df707d7a2e9&DisplayLang=en

"Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> I picked this up today, and every time I try to run the game it tells me
the
> CD isn't in the drive. A quick peek at the support site tells me Uru is
> incompatible with CD-RW drives and all virtual drives must be uninstalled.
> Honestly, who doesn't own a CD-burner these days?! Does Cyan completely
out
> of their minds releasing a game that can't be played on 90% of PCs? There
> has to be a workaround for this; I uninstalled my virtual drive, tried the
> CD in the CD-RW, DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drive. Nada. This is a joke,
> right?
>
> Aphelion

That should be a joke because Uru works just fine with a virtual drive over
here. (using alcohol 120).
I've one drive: a dvd-rw and a setup for two virtual discs, no problems at
all.

regards,
Marcel

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> That should be a joke because Uru works just fine with a virtual drive
> over
> here. (using alcohol 120).
> I've one drive: a dvd-rw and a setup for two virtual discs, no problems at
> all.

I tried re-installed from my DVD-RW; no go. Same error message. Are you
using Alcohol 120 in Windows XP?

Aphelion

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> schreef in bericht
> > That should be a joke because Uru works just fine with a virtual drive
> > over
> > here. (using alcohol 120).
> > I've one drive: a dvd-rw and a setup for two virtual discs, no problems
at
> > all.
>
> I tried re-installed from my DVD-RW; no go. Same error message. Are you
> using Alcohol 120 in Windows XP?
>
> Aphelion

Yep, running everything on xp.
But maybe I wasn't clear enough about alcohol.
I have alcohol installed and setup for two virtual discs but I don't *use* a
virtual disc for Uru.
Anyway, the setup should work but as 'djin' mentioned: it is very likely you
have to play the game from the drive you installed
it from.

Maybe some other ideas:
You could try a firmware update on your rw drive
Try to uninstall the game and completely remove the uru directory before
re-installing it (maybe some settings are left behind)
Uninstall the game and remove the uru directory, then copy the game disc to
a virtual drive and install it from there.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Marcel

Marcel Overweel wrote:
> "Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> schreef in bericht
>
>>>That should be a joke because Uru works just fine with a virtual drive
>>>over
>>>here. (using alcohol 120).
>>>I've one drive: a dvd-rw and a setup for two virtual discs, no problems
>
> at
>
>>>all.
>>
>>I tried re-installed from my DVD-RW; no go. Same error message. Are you
>>using Alcohol 120 in Windows XP?
>>
>>Aphelion
>>

> Yep, running everything on xp.
> But maybe I wasn't clear enough about alcohol.
> I have alcohol installed and setup for two virtual discs but I don't *use* a
> virtual disc for Uru.
> Anyway, the setup should work but as 'djin' mentioned: it is very likely you
> have to play the game from the drive you installed
> it from.
>
> Maybe some other ideas:
> You could try a firmware update on your rw drive
> Try to uninstall the game and completely remove the uru directory before
> re-installing it (maybe some settings are left behind)
> Uninstall the game and remove the uru directory, then copy the game disc to
> a virtual drive and install it from there.
>
> Can't think of anything else right now.
>
> Marcel

I have installed and played Uru, To D'ni and Path of the Shell on an XP
machine with one DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, with no difficulty. I'm not using
virtual disks, though.

Pardon me asking, but is the copy you have an original disc, or a, er,
"backup copy" ? If the drive is detecting it as writable media, it may
make a difference.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Pardon me asking, but is the copy you have an original disc, or a, er,
> "backup copy" ? If the drive is detecting it as writable media, it may
> make a difference.

No, it's the brand new store-bought copy.

Aphelion

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Try to uninstall the game and completely remove the uru directory before
> re-installing it (maybe some settings are left behind)
> Uninstall the game and remove the uru directory, then copy the game disc
> a virtual drive and install it from there.

Tried all above... it still can't detect the CD when I try to play the game.

Aphelion

Aphelion wrote:
>>By the way, there's a Safedisc fix you might need if you use XP.
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=eae20f0f-c41c-44fe-84ce-1df707d7a2e9&DisplayLang=en
>

> I tried the fix, still can't get the game to run. I tried loading it from
> the virtual drive (Alcohol 120), it still doesn't work. WTF kind of game is
> picky about the type of CD drive it's in; I own hundreds of games and this
> is unheard of.
>
> Aphelion

It's known as "copy protection hell."
It's been around for a few years now, but most people don't
believe it exists until they experience it for themselves.

Ubisoft is not terribly helpful
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8820&p_created=1069879898&p_sid=K9KRa3Lh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTg4JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTMwNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8824&p_created=1069880844&p_sid=K9KRa3Lh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTg4JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTMwNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

If you have the original version of Uru, you could try one
of the NOCD cracks for Uru over at www.gamecopyworld.com
Using the crack would skip the CD check.
I don't know if any cracks exist for Uru: Complete Chronicles.
If you use a crack, be sure to scan it for viruses after you
download it. Usually cracks don't contain viruses, but considering
where they come from it's a good idea to be careful.

Alternatively I suppose you could go out and buy a CD or DVD drive
that isn't a writer and install that on your computer.

Ubisoft had enough problems with the copy protection on Myst IV
that they actually put a crack on their website. If you haven't
written to them yet, you might check to see if they've done
the same with your version of Uru.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> Ubisoft had enough problems with the copy protection on Myst IV
> that they actually put a crack on their website. If you haven't
> written to them yet, you might check to see if they've done
> the same with your version of Uru.

Good ideas. Thanks!

Aphelion

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
i am having this problem more and more.
I bought need for speed: most wanted.

I have an LG cd-rw drive and a LG DVD drive.

The game gets to disk 2 on one drive and disk 3 on the other when trying to install.

So i think the game copy protection has messed me up.

(instructions to copy to HDD 1st and then install do not work...it just prompts me to put in disk 2 into F: (my hdd) instead of D: (DVD rom)

So my question here is:

this no-cd ..will that let me install my game? Or is it ment for AFTER you have the game installed?