how to disable windows messenger after installing msn mess..

August 16, 2005 3:32:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

I recently "upgraded" from windows messenger (5.1 I think) to msn messenger.
in my naïveté I thought it would uninstall (or at least disable) windows
messenger.

Now every time I log in I get a message from msn messenger saying I have
been logged out because I logged in somewhere else. Then when I log into msn
messenger I get a message from windows messenger saying I have been logged
out because I logged in somewhere else.

I tried add/remove control panel but I can't find any way of uninstalling
windows messenger.

TIA

Andy
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:21:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Ok, after a bit more faffing I managed to find the solution.

To disable windows messenger you need to go into the preferences and
de-select "run windows messenger when windows starts"

Unfortunately when you install MSN messenger it somehow hides the windows
messenger icon on the systray and removes windows messenger from the start
menu. so there's no way you can get into windows messenger to disable it
(Aargh!!)

so the procedure is: uninstall MSN messenger; then windows messenger
re-appears on the start menu; go into windows messenger and set it not to
run on startup; then quit windows messenger and install msn messenger again.

I'm glad I have 10 years experience programming and administering PCs - how
an end user is supposed to work this kind of thing out is anyones guess.

"Andy Fish" <ajfish@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recently "upgraded" from windows messenger (5.1 I think) to msn
> messenger. in my naïveté I thought it would uninstall (or at least
> disable) windows messenger.
>
> Now every time I log in I get a message from msn messenger saying I have
> been logged out because I logged in somewhere else. Then when I log into
> msn messenger I get a message from windows messenger saying I have been
> logged out because I logged in somewhere else.
>
> I tried add/remove control panel but I can't find any way of uninstalling
> windows messenger.
>
> TIA
>
> Andy

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:12:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I'm sorry that you had so much trouble with this, but it is good to hear
that you got it sorted out.

--
Harrison Hoffman
http://spaces.msn.com/members/harrison