An error occured during the installation of assembly code???

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I receive this error when trying to upgrade to the latest version of Windows
Messenger 5.1 (An error occured during installation of the assembly component
{d0289AA8-2A8F-4728-9840-54113100CABB HRESULT:0x80070002} . After I hit the
OK button the installaton rolls back, thus I can not upgrade. Any ideas what
might be causing this problem and not allowing me to upgrade to the latest
version??

Thank you in advance

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

anyone have any idea why this is happening to some of my users????
thank you

"Tony" wrote:

> I receive this error when trying to upgrade to the latest version of Windows
> Messenger 5.1 (An error occured during installation of the assembly component
> {d0289AA8-2A8F-4728-9840-54113100CABB HRESULT:0x80070002} . After I hit the
> OK button the installaton rolls back, thus I can not upgrade. Any ideas what
> might be causing this problem and not allowing me to upgrade to the latest
> version??
>
> Thank you in advance

I'm having the same problem after upgrading a working win2kpro workstation
with windows messenger 5.1 to windows xppro. The existing installation
wouldn't run and a new installation produces this error. I've seen this same
problem in posts in multiple newsgroups. I haven't seen any answers. Can
someone help?

"Tony" wrote:

> anyone have any idea why this is happening to some of my users????
> thank you
>
> "Tony" wrote:
>
> > I receive this error when trying to upgrade to the latest version of Windows
> > Messenger 5.1 (An error occured during installation of the assembly component
> > {d0289AA8-2A8F-4728-9840-54113100CABB HRESULT:0x80070002} . After I hit the
> > OK button the installaton rolls back, thus I can not upgrade. Any ideas what
> > might be causing this problem and not allowing me to upgrade to the latest
> > version??
> >
> > Thank you in advance

I found the answer for me: disabling webroot spysweeper on the workstation
during the install. I had already disabled antivirus. I would try to
disable any antispyware software (microsoft antispyware, adaware,
spysweeper, etc,) or antivirus software and try it again.

"Tony" wrote:

> I receive this error when trying to upgrade to the latest version of Windows
> Messenger 5.1 (An error occured during installation of the assembly component
> {d0289AA8-2A8F-4728-9840-54113100CABB HRESULT:0x80070002} . After I hit the
> OK button the installaton rolls back, thus I can not upgrade. Any ideas what
> might be causing this problem and not allowing me to upgrade to the latest
> version??
>
> Thank you in advance

Hi,

Yes, Messenger has various SxS (side by side) DLLs to install and register which many of
these antispyware apps will stop.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"MangroveGeek" <carl@tenthousandislands.net(DoNotSpam)> wrote in message
>I found the answer for me: disabling webroot spysweeper on the workstation
> during the install. I had already disabled antivirus. I would try to
> disable any antispyware software (microsoft antispyware, adaware,
> spysweeper, etc,) or antivirus software and try it again.
>
> "Tony" wrote:
>
>> I receive this error when trying to upgrade to the latest version of Windows
>> Messenger 5.1 (An error occured during installation of the assembly component
>> {d0289AA8-2A8F-4728-9840-54113100CABB HRESULT:0x80070002} . After I hit the
>> OK button the installaton rolls back, thus I can not upgrade. Any ideas what
>> might be causing this problem and not allowing me to upgrade to the latest
>> version??
>>
>> Thank you in advance

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Thanks for the input guys but disable spyware is still not allowing users to
install windows messenger 5.1. Any other ideas?