msn messenger games unavailable

Does anyone else have this problem? When I try to start a game with a
contact in MSN Messenger 7.0, my access is unavailable.
It says that it is "temporarily" unavailable and try again later. But it is
never available.
I have noted Messenger as an exception on my firewall, thinking that this
was the problem.
\My granddaughter would really like to be able to play these remote games
with me.
7 answers Last reply
More about messenger games unavailable

    Sorry, I should have mentioned that when my contact initiates the game, I
    can join in. I just can't initiate one myself.

    I too have the same problem, however this has noting to do with Windows XP
    Messenger, This is an MSN Messenger problem, so this is posted in the wrong
    news group. I have searched the MSN - Messenger Newsgroup and found no
    mention of this problem there, but I did send the problem to MSN by using
    Help from the menu, then selected "Contact Us" , I listed it as "negitive"
    "feature" feedback
    http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=messenger&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts

    I sort of wonder if this is a location server problem, I live in the San
    Francisco Bay Area.... don't know about you, but just a suspiscion, as like
    you, I have to ask others to initiate the game, then no problem. Also, MSN
    makes no guarntee about quality of service, and that some "regions" may not
    have all services available. So my thought on this is that the west coast
    servers may be overloaded with users.... I would encourage you to report this
    via the Help menu like I did, maybe then we can get the fix or the real
    poop..... good luck

    "Cybernana" wrote:

    > Sorry, I should have mentioned that when my contact initiates the game, I
    > can join in. I just can't initiate one myself.

    Thx for your input, Dwight. However, the opposite is true for me. My
    contact is on the west coast (BC), and I'm in Toronto.

    Norton Internet Security is the culprit for me.... Once I followed the
    instructions to "disable" NIS, which I do frequently from time to time for
    things like this, and presto, there were all the games in their glory!

    Funny, I got not one, but 2 replys from them, both saying the same thing,
    weird, but it works.....

    Good Luck!

    Hello Dwight,

    Thank you for writing to MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Marco
    and I am here to help you address the issue you are experiencing.

    From what I read in your e-mail, you cannot play games through the MSN
    messenger because you receive a message saying that "The List of activities
    or games is temporarily unavailable. Please close and try again later." I
    understand your concern and I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may
    have caused you.

    » The following conditions may apply:

    - The list of games on the Games & Activities site may not be correctly
    cached on the computer.
    - Your firewall may be blocking the list from being downloaded from the MSN
    Messenger servers.
    - The game server is slow or your Internet connection is slow, and MSN
    Messenger timed out while it was starting the game.

    » I have included the instructions that will help you solve the issue.
    Follow these steps in the order that they appear:

    1. Clear your Internet cache, and then open the Games & Activities site:

    a. Sign out of MSN Messenger.
    b. Clear your Internet cache:

    i. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    ii. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options."
    iii. Click "Delete Files," and then click "OK."

    c. Sign in to MSN Messenger.
    d. Open the Games & Activities Web site.

    2. Some firewall programs may not allow the Games and Activities list to
    render correctly.

    Note
    This issue has been identified as a known issue with Norton Internet
    Security (NIS).If you are using NIS, and you are experiencing this issue,
    follow these steps:

    a. Remove Port 80 from the HTTP port list:

    i. Click the NIS notification area icon, and then select "Norton Internet
    Security" from the top of the list.
    ii. Click "Options."
    iii. Click the "Firewall" tab.
    iv. Under the "HTTP port" list, find the number "80" in the list, highlight
    it, and then click the "Remove."
    v. Click "OK."

    b. If you have any other firewall program, temporarily disable the firewall.
    MSN Messenger caches the list in the Internet cache. Therefore, temporarily
    disabling the firewall
    and causing the list to refresh is a possible workaround. Make sure that the
    firewall is re-enabled immediately after the list is refreshed.

    Important
    We recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with
    implementing this workaround in your particular environment. If you implement
    this workaround, take any
    appropriate steps to help protect the system.

    a. Right-click the icon for the firewall or antivirus software, and then
    click "Disable." If this option is not available, click "Exit."

    b. Sign in to MSN Messenger, and then click the Activities or Games icons to
    fetch the list of activities and games. This list is now cached and available
    until you clear the
    Internet cache as mentioned in step 1.

    c. Re-enable the firewall. To do this, start your firewall program from the
    list of programs.

    3. You may have a slow Internet connection or the game server may be slow to
    respond, try to sign in to MSN Messenger after several minutes.

    Dwight, the information I have provided you with should answer your
    questions and solve the issue, but if you find that you need additional
    assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We are always here at
    your service.

    Thank you again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support and have a
    great day.

    For additional on-line help, please go to: http://messenger.msn.com/Help

    Sincerely,

    MarcoMSN Messenger Technical Support

    Thank you for writing to MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Dave
    and I am here to help you address the issue you are experiencing.

    From what I read in your e-mail, the games of MSN Messenger are not starting.
    When you start a game from the MSN Messenger Games & Activities
    site, you receive the following error message:
    -- "The Games & Activities site is unavailable at this time"
    I understand the concern and I apologize for any inconvenience this issue
    may have caused you.

    The following conditions may apply:
    -- The list of games on the Games & Activities site may not be correctly
    cached on the computer.
    -- Your firewall may be blocking the list from being downloaded from the MSN
    Messenger servers.
    -- The game server is slow or your Internet connection is slow, and MSN
    Messenger timed out while it was starting the game.

    I have included the instructions that will help you solve the issue. Follow
    these steps in the order that they appear:
    1. Clear your Internet cache, and then open the Games & Activities site:

    a. Sign out of MSN Messenger.
    b. Clear your Internet cache:

    a. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options."
    c. Click "Delete Files," and then click "OK."

    c. Sign in to MSN Messenger.
    d. Open the Games & Activities Web site.

    2. Some firewall programs may not allow the Games and Activities list to
    render correctly.
    Note: This issue has been identified as a known issue with Norton Internet
    Security (NIS).
    If you are using NIS, and you are experiencing this issue, follow these
    steps:

    a. Remove Port 80 from the HTTP port list:

    a. Click the NIS notification area icon, and then select "Norton Internet
    Security" from the top of the list.
    b. Click "Options."
    c. Click the "Firewall" tab.
    d. Under the "HTTP port" list, find the number "80" in the list, highlight
    it, and then click the "Remove."
    e. Click "OK."

[...]

    Dwight, the information I have provided you with should answer the questions
    and solve the issue, but if you find that you need additional assistance,
    please do not hesitate to contact us again. We are always here at your
    service.
    Thank you again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support and have a
    great day.

    For additional on-line help, please go to:
    http://messenger.msn.com/Help

    Sincerely,

    Dave
    MSN Messenger Technical Support Team

    "Cybernana" wrote:

    > Thx for your input, Dwight. However, the opposite is true for me. My
    > contact is on the west coast (BC), and I'm in Toronto.

    Thx, Dwight. I did try it previously without norton on, but not sure if
    clearing cache first would help.
    I'm sending your advice on to my daughter (mother of those darling grandkids
    who want to play the games with me)
    and I'll work with her on it. Your advice has been very helpful.
  6. Bulls#!t !
    Simply modify your location info on msn.com and it will work 1000%

    Goto www.msn.com, log in to your account and click on your name than click "view your account" option. or simply click on this link
    https://account.live.com/summarypage.aspx
    When page loads click "Registered information" link, than when page loads again modify your info so it looks like this:

    Occupation: Government/Military

    Home location

    Country/region: United States

    Address 1: 106 Santa Monica Blvd

    City: Santa Monica

    State: California

    ZIP code:90401

    Time zone: PST

    Work location

    Country/region: United States

    Address 1: 333 Olympic Blvd

    City: Santa Monica

    State: California

    ZIP code:90401

    Time zone: PST

    Click save and make sure the info is changed.
    Turn off than turn on MSN Messenger, log in, go to games and play.

    vixenius@hotmail.com
  7. Go to your email...
    Click "Options" in the top right corner... Click "More options"
    Click "View and edit your personal information"
    Click "Registered Information"

    Change your country to "United States" (I had it set to Canada but that apparently isn't good enough :p)
    Save changes...
    Log out of msn... Log back in...

    Games should now work...

    Email me at philip_qu(at)hotmail.com if you have any issues...

Messenger Games MSN Messenger Windows XP