Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Install of Smac 2.7 is denied access to riched20.dll. How can I get by this?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
September 22, 2009 2:56:05 PM

I´m trying to install Smac 2.7 on win7. (tried also smac 2.0.5)
I´m denied access to riched20.dll

Also I´m denied access to change the permissions for the same .dll file.


How can I work around this?


Thx,

Chris

More about : install smac denied access riched20 dll

a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2009 3:14:31 PM

When you run it, try right clicking - select "Run As Administrator".
m
0
l
September 22, 2009 3:51:12 PM

Scotteq said:
When you run it, try right clicking - select "Run As Administrator".



Not working "as administrator" either.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 22, 2009 3:55:28 PM

Scotteq said:
When you run it, try right clicking - select "Run As Administrator".



only "system" and "trustedinstallers" have full access to riched20.dll
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2009 4:03:03 PM

OK - I looked into it, and I don't see where SMAC have a version for Win 7. They do have one for Vista, so theoretically it should work... But... the trouble with theory is if it doesn't work in reality then it's a sh*tty theory...

Couple things you could try from here:

The first is temporarily turning off UAC while you do the install. Then perform the same steps in reverse to put it back on when you're done.


The second is using the "Real" administrator account instead of a regular user account with admin priveledges. Understand that enabling this account is the same as running the 'Root' account on a Unix box, and that anything (including malware) that runs in this environment will have full and completely unrestricted access to everything. I most strongly recommend that anyone using this approach really really should utilize a 'normal' admin account as their default and discipline themselves to *only* using this one when necessary.
m
0
l
September 22, 2009 4:27:22 PM

THx for your reply.

Unfortunately it´s not working.

Really annoying since I just installed win7 due to a crash, and now I can´t install programs necessary for work.

Chris
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2009 5:25:41 PM

Have you used the 'real' admin account to take ownership of the riched20.dll that's been giving you trouble?

Besides that:

Quote:
only "system" and "trustedinstallers" have full access to riched20.dll


tells us that there is/maybe an issue with SMAC's digital signature. There's a few guys here with more/better technical chops than I have who might be able to give you a workaround, but I'm reduced to recommending you contact the writer - http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/ - to see if they can help.
m
0
l
September 22, 2009 9:00:16 PM

Thx again for your help.

I shot them an email about the issue.

Chris
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2010 7:41:18 AM

Scotteq said:
Have you used the 'real' admin account to take ownership of the riched20.dll that's been giving you trouble?

Besides that:

Quote:
only "system" and "trustedinstallers" have full access to riched20.dll


tells us that there is/maybe an issue with SMAC's digital signature. There's a few guys here with more/better technical chops than I have who might be able to give you a workaround, but I'm reduced to recommending you contact the writer - http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/ - to see if they can help.



try to grant rights as said
Quote:
only "system" and "trustedinstallers" have full access to riched20.dll
is correct but after this you have to rename that "riched20.dll" file then install it will successfully installls.
m
0
l
!