5 answers Last reply
More about dumb question difference downloads

    Greetings TeVan,

    #1 and #3 are similar (we are at 7.0.0816 now though). The difference in the filesizes is
    simply because one includes the Windows Installer and other requirements that are built-in to
    XP and Windows 2000 (and 98 and Millennium Edition don't have).

    #2 is Windows Messenger 4.7 and is a completely separate product to MSN Messenger.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message news:ukbSxQ3pFHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > The differences of these three downloads?
    >
    > 1) Install_MSN_Messenger_7.0.0813.exe (10,528 KB)
    >
    > 2) mmssetup.exe (979 KB)
    > http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx#Q3t
    >
    > 3) INSTALL_MSN_MESSENGER_DL.EXE (7,193 KB)
    > http://messenger.msn.com/Download/
    > (Download and Install later)
    >

    > Thanks

    Thank you.

    Does MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger have similar function?
    Why would a person choose one over the other?
    Sorry for all the questions, I've never used Messenger before and I'm
    confused.

    > Greetings TeVan,
    >
    > #1 and #3 are similar (we are at 7.0.0816 now though). The difference in
    the filesizes is
    > simply because one includes the Windows Installer and other requirements
    that are built-in to
    > XP and Windows 2000 (and 98 and Millennium Edition don't have).
    >
    > #2 is Windows Messenger 4.7 and is a completely separate product to MSN
    Messenger.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message
    > > The differences of these three downloads?
    > >
    > > 1) Install_MSN_Messenger_7.0.0813.exe (10,528 KB)
    > >
    > > 2) mmssetup.exe (979 KB)
    > > http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx#Q3t
    > >
    > > 3) INSTALL_MSN_MESSENGER_DL.EXE (7,193 KB)
    > > http://messenger.msn.com/Download/
    > > (Download and Install later)
    > >

    > > Thanks

    Hi,

    There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
    display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
    Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
    Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
    full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

    As such, MSN Messenger is centered towards the consumer and Windows Messenger is centered
    towards the corporate user.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message news:uLbc3XCqFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Does MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger have similar function?
    > Why would a person choose one over the other?
    > Sorry for all the questions, I've never used Messenger before and I'm
    > confused.
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings TeVan,
    >>
    >> #1 and #3 are similar (we are at 7.0.0816 now though). The difference in
    > the filesizes is
    >> simply because one includes the Windows Installer and other requirements
    > that are built-in to
    >> XP and Windows 2000 (and 98 and Millennium Edition don't have).
    >>
    >> #2 is Windows Messenger 4.7 and is a completely separate product to MSN
    > Messenger.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message
    >> > The differences of these three downloads?
    >> >
    >> > 1) Install_MSN_Messenger_7.0.0813.exe (10,528 KB)
    >> >
    >> > 2) mmssetup.exe (979 KB)
    >> > http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Upgrades.aspx#Q3t
    >> >
    >> > 3) INSTALL_MSN_MESSENGER_DL.EXE (7,193 KB)
    >> > http://messenger.msn.com/Download/
    >> > (Download and Install later)
    >> >

    >> > Thanks

    Ahhh, very well, thank you. That makes perfect sense.

    The original impetus of my interest has been solved by webmessenger.

    Thank you again...

    > Hi,
    >
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
    Messenger 7 has support for
    > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc.
    whereas Windows Messenger
    > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.
    Which one you use is up
    > to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to
    the public .NET
    > Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to
    keep in mind,
    > Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN
    Messenger to retain
    > full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing,
    etc.).

    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > As such, MSN Messenger is centered towards the consumer and Windows
    Messenger is centered
    > towards the corporate user.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message
    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > Does MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger have similar function?
    > > Why would a person choose one over the other?
    > > Sorry for all the questions, I've never used Messenger before and I'm
    > > confused.
    > >

    > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    > >> Greetings TeVan,
    > >>
    > >> #1 and #3 are similar (we are at 7.0.0816 now though). The difference
    in
    > > the filesizes is
    > >> simply because one includes the Windows Installer and other
    requirements
    > > that are built-in to
    > >> XP and Windows 2000 (and 98 and Millennium Edition don't have).
    > >>
    > >> #2 is Windows Messenger 4.7 and is a completely separate product to MSN
    > > Messenger.
    > >> ____________________________________________
    > >> Jonathan Kay
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    > >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >>
    > >> "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message

    Thank you for this information, especially regarding the necessity for BOTH
    MSN and Windows Messenger. I am a MSN Premium subscriber and have been
    having issues with MSN Messenger for YEARS. The original problem that I was
    having was that every time I logged into the MSN software (not MSN
    messenger), my messenger would log out, log in, log out...and it continued
    for a very long time until it just stayed logged out. All of this signing in
    and out everytime I wanted to use MSN was taking up waaay too much of my
    time. Well, when I finally got my issue pushed up through the levels of
    support, I was finally told that I should NOT have both MSN Messenger and
    Windows Messenger enabled. Disabling Windows Messenger didn't work. We
    tried using the options to disable it, tried uninstalling from Add/Remove
    programs, tried disabling it in msconfig, and still nothing worked. I
    finally had to reformat the hard drive and select a custom Windows
    installation so that I could EXCLUDE Windows Explorer from installing
    altogether. Well, of course, this didn't work either as you must know from
    your comments. I am STILL having issues and I have made DOZENS of calls to
    MSN tech support. I am certainly going to try your recommendation of
    reinstalling Windows Messenger to see if it resolves my issues.

    By the way, I have WinXP Pro SP2 and MSN9, and MSN Explorer is the most
    current version.

    One series of realted questions, though. I seem to remember reading
    somewhere that if you have BOTH Windows Explorer and MSN Explorer that each
    needed to use a different .NET Passport. Is this true? If so, do I need to
    create another User account (even though I am the only person that uses this
    computer) and assign it a different .NET Passport? And if I DO need to use
    different passports, does one use MSN Messenger and one use Windows
    Messenger? If the 2 user accounts use different messengers, how does that
    get assigned? Can you tell me how to set that up? And does that mean that
    if Iwant to use MSN Messenger, for example, I need to use one particular sign
    in name and if I want to use Windows Messenger, I need to sign in under the
    other user account?

    I apologize for all of the questions, but I have really been given the
    run-around by using MSN telephone tech support (and online MSN support is
    even worse) and I could really use your help! Apparently, MSN tech support
    does not have your expertise.

    Thank you! I am urgently awaiting your resonse because I would really like
    to get this problem fixed (I've been dealing with it for several years)

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 7 has support for
    > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    > to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
    > Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
    > Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
    > full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > As such, MSN Messenger is centered towards the consumer and Windows Messenger is centered
    > towards the corporate user.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message news:uLbc3XCqFHA.1136@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > Does MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger have similar function?
    > > Why would a person choose one over the other?
    > > Sorry for all the questions, I've never used Messenger before and I'm
    > > confused.
    > >

    > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    > >> Greetings TeVan,
    > >>
    > >> #1 and #3 are similar (we are at 7.0.0816 now though). The difference in
    > > the filesizes is
    > >> simply because one includes the Windows Installer and other requirements
    > > that are built-in to
    > >> XP and Windows 2000 (and 98 and Millennium Edition don't have).
    > >>
    > >> #2 is Windows Messenger 4.7 and is a completely separate product to MSN
    > > Messenger.
    > >> Jonathan Kay
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    > >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >>
    > >> "TeVan" <b@rf.net> wrote in message

Download Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP