wireless access point problems, mac - adsl usb modem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 17, 2004 5:29:42 AM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to connect a wireless access point via ethernet to a mac.
The mac is connected to the net through a dsl modem and works fine.
I just don't get my wireless device (dell axim) connected to the net
somehow.

This is the situation:
I can ping with a mobile device (192.168.1.5) to the access point
(192.168.1.1)
I can ping with a mobile device (192.168.1.5) to the mac ethernet card
(192.168.1.4)
I CAN'T ping to any external IP addresses

My DSL modem (sagem fast 800) is set up for dynamic IP (shows IP
81.60.234.239, router 62.81.124.66)

To me it seems there is no connection between the ethernet port and
the adsl connection.

What do you think?

Eddy
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 2:47:29 PM

On 17 Jul 2004 01:29:42 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless ,
eddy@istanvalley.com (edwin van gorp) wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I'm trying to connect a wireless access point via ethernet to a mac.
>The mac is connected to the net through a dsl modem and works fine.
>I just don't get my wireless device (dell axim) connected to the net
>somehow.

you need to have some software on the mac which routes between its ethernet
card and the dsl modem. This is often called a proxy server. Windows has
something called Internet connection Sharing which achieves this.
Undoubtedly there's a similar product for the mac.

Assuming you're running OSX. you can possibly even do it with the standard
unix routing commands but I forget how to set up routes, and in any events
you really need a firewall there too.

A simpler answer is to get a router you can plug into your dsl modem.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;