  • Messenger
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 23, 2005 5:35:47 AM

I just downloaded the latest update for msn messanger and as soon as
it finished downloading it will not log on anymore.

I get the problem saying: Sorry we are unable to sign you into the MSN
Messanger at this time. Please try again later. 80072efd

What do i do to fix this problem? and if you could explain it in
dummy terms so i can understand that would be awesome

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Help-loggin-mess...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1369768

More about : loggin messanger

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:17:32 PM

Greetings,

Since you can't immediately login, remember that you can try logging into the Web Messenger,
at least until you can restore your normal Messenger functionality:
http://webmessenger.msn.com

However, here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't already.

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
the time and date are set.
2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
3. Change your password @ http://memberservicesnet.passport.com/memberservice.srf to
something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
if this is the case.
5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
Delete Cookies button.
7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
3.0' is checked, then click OK.
8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
then click OK
and do the same for the following:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
9. If using MSN Messenger 7, click the Tools menu, then Options, then Connection category,
click the Advanced Settings button, uncheck all the options, click OK twice and then try
again.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Schaerer" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded the latest update for msn messanger and as soon as
> it finished downloading it will not log on anymore.
>
> I get the problem saying: Sorry we are unable to sign you into the MSN
> Messanger at this time. Please try again later. 80072efd
>
> What do i do to fix this problem? and if you could explain it in
> dummy terms so i can understand that would be awesome

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Help-loggin-mess...
August 24, 2005 6:35:38 AM

Any ideas? im tottaly stuck and cant get logged in

"Schaerer" wrote:
>I just do
>wnloaded the latest update for msn messanger and as soon as it
>finished downloading it will not log on anymore.
>
>I get the problem saying: Sorry we are unable to sign you into the
MSN
>Messanger at this time. Please try again later. 80072efd
>
>What do i do to fix this problem? and if you could explain it in
>dummy terms so i can understand that would be awesome
August 24, 2005 6:35:41 AM

I did everything you suggested except try to fix the firewall only
because i dont know how. I am only running the microsoft firewall and
i dont know how to allow programs through that firewall... can u help
me with that?

> [...]
>
>"Schaerer" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>>I just downloaded the latest update for msn messanger and as soon
>as
>> it finished downloading it will not log on anymore.
>>
>> I get the problem saying: Sorry we are unable to sign you into
>the MSN
>> Messanger at this time. Please try again later. 80072efd
>>
>> What do i do to fix this problem? and if you could explain it in
>> dummy terms so i can understand that would be awesome
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at
>author’s request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>http://www.windowsforumz.com/Messenger-Help-loggin-mess...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req’d). Report
August 24, 2005 5:56:49 PM

Hi,

That won't matter, the Windows XP firewall only blocks incoming connections, not outgoing
(what Messenger makes when its connecting).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

!