Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two phone numbers, different carriers, same phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 16, 2004 4:47:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I have service with a Canadian carrier. I am often in the US. At such
times, I would like to use Verizon prepaid which I evaluated will be
much more cost effective than hefty roaming charges. Verizon, as you
probably know, have no issues with activating foreign ESNs. The
StarTAC 7868W phone I have is compatible with both carriers for the
basic if not all functions.

Is it possible to have 2 unique numbers on the same phone with
*different* carriers?

The manual for the StarTAC says only one number can be active at any
time. The manual did not specifiy but I suppose that means if I make
the Verizon number active, all incoming calls to my Canadian number
will just go unanswered. Are there phones out there (supported by
carrier services) that can receive incoming calls to either number and
you would be billed accordingly depending on which carrier the dialed
number belongs? Basically, I'm trying to avoid carrying around 2
phones in the US while being able to answer calls to my Canadian and
US numbers.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 4:47:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
> I have service with a Canadian carrier. I am often in the US. At such
> times, I would like to use Verizon prepaid which I evaluated will be
> much more cost effective than hefty roaming charges. Verizon, as you
> probably know, have no issues with activating foreign ESNs. The
> StarTAC 7868W phone I have is compatible with both carriers for the
> basic if not all functions.
>
> Is it possible to have 2 unique numbers on the same phone with
> *different* carriers?
>
> The manual for the StarTAC says only one number can be active at any
> time. The manual did not specifiy but I suppose that means if I make
> the Verizon number active, all incoming calls to my Canadian number
> will just go unanswered. Are there phones out there (supported by
> carrier services) that can receive incoming calls to either number and
> you would be billed accordingly depending on which carrier the dialed
> number belongs? Basically, I'm trying to avoid carrying around 2
> phones in the US while being able to answer calls to my Canadian and
> US numbers.

As you noted the StarTAC appears to support dual NAMs but you
can only select one or the other. I have a LG TM-510 that does the
same but allows one to select one or both.

This could only work if the coverage (native and roaming) was
completely separate geographically. Now a days there is a good
chance that your Canadian carrier's roaming partner is also VZW's
roaming partner (or VZW themselves). Now you have the same
ESN for two carriers (and numbers) on the same network... won't
work. Then there is the problem of how does the phone know which
number to choose (originating) when you dial out.

How do they bill if you have free LD and forward your Canadian
calls to your FREE-UP number?

-Quick
April 16, 2004 6:58:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:24:10 -0700, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com>
wrote:

>As you noted the StarTAC appears to support dual NAMs but you

Four NAMs the manual says!

>can only select one or the other. I have a LG TM-510 that does the
>same but allows one to select one or both.

>This could only work if the coverage (native and roaming) was
>completely separate geographically. Now a days there is a good
>chance that your Canadian carrier's roaming partner is also VZW's
>roaming partner (or VZW themselves). Now you have the same

Yes, VZW is the Canadian carrier's #1 preferred roaming partner in the
US.

>ESN for two carriers (and numbers) on the same network... won't
>work. Then there is the problem of how does the phone know which
>number to choose (originating) when you dial out.

I'm not so worried about outgoing calls. If in the US, I would always
use VZW for all outgoing calls to elsewhere in the US and to Canada.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some phones with dual NAMs
would give you a different ring tone for each number so you could
identify which number was being called and answer appropriately. But I
wasn't sure if something like that, with or without distinct rings,
worked if the numbers were with different carriers one of them being
in roaming mode.

>How do they bill if you have free LD and forward your Canadian
>calls to your FREE-UP number?

I don't have free LD so this is a non issue. However, I would say if
that were the case, my VZW account would be charged because it is the
one actually receiving the call.
Related resources
April 16, 2004 6:58:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
news:D 4hu70pa6e6r39nale48oefn31aahj26rl@4ax.com...
> >How do they bill if you have free LD and forward your Canadian
> >calls to your FREE-UP number?
>
> I don't have free LD so this is a non issue. However, I would say if
> that were the case, my VZW account would be charged because it is the
> one actually receiving the call.
>

Even if you're paying for the long distance, wouldn't that be cheaper than
the international roaming charges?!

-Jeff
April 16, 2004 9:14:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:38:58 -0400, "jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Even if you're paying for the long distance, wouldn't that be cheaper than
>the international roaming charges?!
>
>-Jeff

Exactly why I want to have a Verizon number as the second NAM hence
the original post.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 9:51:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

If there's a phone that will do what you want you'll be set but if not,
here's another suggestion if available. Use your landline or a remote CF
number and just forward it to whichever number you'll be using depending
on your travels. If you're spending a lot of time on the US side, you
might want a Remote CF number in the US.

From:Richard
r@r.com

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:38:58 -0400, "jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Even if you're paying for the long distance, wouldn't that be
>> cheaper than the international roaming charges?!
>>
>> -Jeff
>
> Exactly why I want to have a Verizon number as the second NAM hence
> the original post.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 2:06:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote .
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:24:10 -0700, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com>
> wrote:
>
> >This could only work if the coverage (native and roaming) was
> >completely separate geographically. Now a days there is a good
> >chance that your Canadian carrier's roaming partner is also VZW's
> >roaming partner (or VZW themselves). Now you have the same
>
> Yes, VZW is the Canadian carrier's #1 preferred roaming partner in the
> US.
>
> >ESN for two carriers (and numbers) on the same network... won't
> >work. Then there is the problem of how does the phone know which
> >number to choose (originating) when you dial out.
>
> I'm not so worried about outgoing calls. If in the US, I would always
> use VZW for all outgoing calls to elsewhere in the US and to Canada.
>
> I seem to recall reading somewhere that some phones with dual NAMs
> would give you a different ring tone for each number so you could
> identify which number was being called and answer appropriately. But I
> wasn't sure if something like that, with or without distinct rings,
> worked if the numbers were with different carriers one of them being
> in roaming mode.

The problem is not with the phone. It's the network and billing system
that doesn't support it.

>
> >How do they bill if you have free LD and forward your Canadian
> >calls to your FREE-UP number?
>
> I don't have free LD so this is a non issue. However, I would say if
> that were the case, my VZW account would be charged because it is the
> one actually receiving the call.

Probably not. In the US it is never the receiving party and always the
calling party that pays (naturally, collect calls are reversed). I would
have guessed that possibly you would get charged air time for the
incoming call and airtime again for the outgoing/forwarded call and
whatever charges to call the area code of your Free-Up number.
You Free-Up account would be charged airtime (and roaming?
charges if applicable) to receive the call.

O well...

-Quick
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:46:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD


"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
news:u2bu70t0ki69ga4lhf5jmb3bbpldqgh9e6@4ax.com...
> I have service with a Canadian carrier. I am often in the US. At such
> times, I would like to use Verizon prepaid which I evaluated will be
> much more cost effective than hefty roaming charges. Verizon, as you
> probably know, have no issues with activating foreign ESNs. The
> StarTAC 7868W phone I have is compatible with both carriers for the
> basic if not all functions.
>
> Is it possible to have 2 unique numbers on the same phone with
> *different* carriers?
>
> The manual for the StarTAC says only one number can be active at any
> time. The manual did not specifiy but I suppose that means if I make
> the Verizon number active, all incoming calls to my Canadian number
> will just go unanswered. Are there phones out there (supported by
> carrier services) that can receive incoming calls to either number and
> you would be billed accordingly depending on which carrier the dialed
> number belongs? Basically, I'm trying to avoid carrying around 2
> phones in the US while being able to answer calls to my Canadian and
> US numbers.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 9:52:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In alt.cellular.verizon PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
> No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD

Absolutely, completely wrong. My Kyocera 2325 can handle this, the Nokias
can (at least I'm assuming the 3589 can; earlier Nokia phones carried by
Verizon can), and there have been several popular phones in the past that
Verizon carried that will handle more than one number.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
"someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003
April 16, 2004 10:30:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:52:20 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>In alt.cellular.verizon PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
>> No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD
>
>Absolutely, completely wrong. My Kyocera 2325 can handle this, the Nokias
>can (at least I'm assuming the 3589 can; earlier Nokia phones carried by
>Verizon can), and there have been several popular phones in the past that
>Verizon carried that will handle more than one number.

It's possible to activate more than one NAM but it is not possible to
have both numbers running at once on the same phone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:06:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:52:20 -0500, Steven J Sobol
><sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>
>>In alt.cellular.verizon PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
>>> No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD
>>
>>Absolutely, completely wrong. My Kyocera 2325 can handle this, the Nokias
>>can (at least I'm assuming the 3589 can; earlier Nokia phones carried by
>>Verizon can), and there have been several popular phones in the past that
>>Verizon carried that will handle more than one number.

>It's possible to activate more than one NAM but it is not possible to
>have both numbers running at once on the same phone.

Is it forbidden by international treaty, or is it just that no one makes
such a phone?

Surely there's no technical reason why someone couldn't make a phone
with two complete sets of circuits, including two EINs.

I wouldn't expect there would be much demand for such phones.



==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:06:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I use a prepay Canadian service and Verizon both on my same
phone..works great! I just use NAM1 for Verizon and NAM2 for the
prepay. PDA Man better get his info right before he makes such
definite statements.

"No Phone will Do this, PERIOD" WRONG!! "Almost any phone will do
this!"



Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<N4ednbXbw4M5_h3dRVn-ig@lmi.net>...
> In alt.cellular.verizon PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
> > No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD
>
> Absolutely, completely wrong. My Kyocera 2325 can handle this, the Nokias
> can (at least I'm assuming the 3589 can; earlier Nokia phones carried by
> Verizon can), and there have been several popular phones in the past that
> Verizon carried that will handle more than one number.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 3:36:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

The dr offers: Yes. This is exactly why some phones have dual-nam
capability. Absolutely standard what you are asking to do.

Setup nam1 with the carrier of your choice, setup nam 2 with the carrier of
your choice. We've assumed that the phone technology is compatible with
each provider, and also your comfortable that the namX that you've selected
will ring your phone, and the namX that isn't active will go unanswered.

I've done this many times, and with StarTAC's. Before there were national
contracts, I'd have a local number on the west coast, and another local
number on the east coast. And depending on where I was, I'd setup one phone
number to call forward, and the other I'd pick up. It was very confusing at
times, and most phones have this dual nam capability.
--
Dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the Dr.

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

"PDA Man" <pda@man.com> wrote in message
news:TNydnfcQPvKCpR3d4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD
>
>
> "Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
> news:u2bu70t0ki69ga4lhf5jmb3bbpldqgh9e6@4ax.com...
> > I have service with a Canadian carrier. I am often in the US. At such
> > times, I would like to use Verizon prepaid which I evaluated will be
> > much more cost effective than hefty roaming charges. Verizon, as you
> > probably know, have no issues with activating foreign ESNs. The
> > StarTAC 7868W phone I have is compatible with both carriers for the
> > basic if not all functions.
> >
> > Is it possible to have 2 unique numbers on the same phone with
> > *different* carriers?
> >
> > The manual for the StarTAC says only one number can be active at any
> > time. The manual did not specifiy but I suppose that means if I make
> > the Verizon number active, all incoming calls to my Canadian number
> > will just go unanswered. Are there phones out there (supported by
> > carrier services) that can receive incoming calls to either number and
> > you would be billed accordingly depending on which carrier the dialed
> > number belongs? Basically, I'm trying to avoid carrying around 2
> > phones in the US while being able to answer calls to my Canadian and
> > US numbers.
>
>
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 4:06:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Mr/Mrs PDA Man. May I offer a suggestion? You have recently posted as
"facts", many things that are just wrong. No problem, because those snips
have quickly been corrected by people who have the correct answers. As this
is unmoderated, you are entitled to your opinion.

But, if you don't know, it is okay to guess, but would it be fair to say, "I
think". or "in my opinion", "or I don't really know, but it sounds" People
come to these forums for help and advice. And while it is acceptable to be
wrong, your original posts came across with a sound of authority. Now it
appears (in my opinion) that people may or maynot be taking you serious
anymore. This is my opinion about you verizon or cell phone knowledge,
because you may very well be the smartest person on the planet about PDA's,
hence you have self proclaimed yourself: "the PDA Man". You are aware there
are specific PDA forums that might really take advantage of your PDA
knowledge....

The Dr.

"PDA Man" <pda@man.com> wrote in message
news:TNydnfcQPvKCpR3d4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> No Phone Will Do this, PERIOD
>
>
> "Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
> news:u2bu70t0ki69ga4lhf5jmb3bbpldqgh9e6@4ax.com...
> > I have service with a Canadian carrier. I am often in the US. At such
> > times, I would like to use Verizon prepaid which I evaluated will be
> > much more cost effective than hefty roaming charges. Verizon, as you
> > probably know, have no issues with activating foreign ESNs. The
> > StarTAC 7868W phone I have is compatible with both carriers for the
> > basic if not all functions.
> >
> > Is it possible to have 2 unique numbers on the same phone with
> > *different* carriers?
> >
> > The manual for the StarTAC says only one number can be active at any
> > time. The manual did not specifiy but I suppose that means if I make
> > the Verizon number active, all incoming calls to my Canadian number
> > will just go unanswered. Are there phones out there (supported by
> > carrier services) that can receive incoming calls to either number and
> > you would be billed accordingly depending on which carrier the dialed
> > number belongs? Basically, I'm trying to avoid carrying around 2
> > phones in the US while being able to answer calls to my Canadian and
> > US numbers.
>
>
April 18, 2004 2:14:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On 16 Apr 2004 20:06:25 -0700, jtludwig@charter.net (Jason Ludwig)
wrote:

>I use a prepay Canadian service and Verizon both on my same
>phone..works great! I just use NAM1 for Verizon and NAM2 for the
>prepay. PDA Man better get his info right before he makes such
>definite statements.

This is exactly how I want it set up except in reverse, NAM1 my
monthy Canadian service, NAM2 prepay Verizon service for when I am in
the US.

Two questions, to Jason:
1. When the phone is on, can you receive calls when someone calls you
to either NAM1 or NAM2? For example, if you are roaming in Canada,
does your phone ring and can you answer if someone calls your Canadian
number. Then soon after that is finished, can you also receive a call
if someone phones your Verizon number...without you having to adjust
anything?
2. What detremines which number your are using if making outgoing
calls? For example, while in Canada I would imaging you would want to
use the Canadian prepay service. While back home, one would want to
use Verizon.
April 18, 2004 2:14:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:14:33 GMT, Richard <r@r.com> wrote:
I can tell you that I had this on my old Verizon dual Nam phone...
I had one phone number for Los Angeles and the other for Las
Vegas...Problem is that when you are on one line the other line will
only receive voice mail if callled...you can't have the phone ring for
both numbers on at the same time. So you would have to switch back
and forth to check for voice mail messages...


>On 16 Apr 2004 20:06:25 -0700, jtludwig@charter.net (Jason Ludwig)
>wrote:
>
>>I use a prepay Canadian service and Verizon both on my same
>>phone..works great! I just use NAM1 for Verizon and NAM2 for the
>>prepay. PDA Man better get his info right before he makes such
>>definite statements.
>
>This is exactly how I want it set up except in reverse, NAM1 my
>monthy Canadian service, NAM2 prepay Verizon service for when I am in
>the US.
>
>Two questions, to Jason:
>1. When the phone is on, can you receive calls when someone calls you
>to either NAM1 or NAM2? For example, if you are roaming in Canada,
>does your phone ring and can you answer if someone calls your Canadian
>number. Then soon after that is finished, can you also receive a call
>if someone phones your Verizon number...without you having to adjust
>anything?
>2. What detremines which number your are using if making outgoing
>calls? For example, while in Canada I would imaging you would want to
>use the Canadian prepay service. While back home, one would want to
>use Verizon.
April 18, 2004 5:57:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:20:10 -0700, T <Southbayman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I can tell you that I had this on my old Verizon dual Nam phone...
>I had one phone number for Los Angeles and the other for Las
>Vegas...Problem is that when you are on one line the other line will
>only receive voice mail if callled...you can't have the phone ring for
>both numbers on at the same time. So you would have to switch back
>and forth to check for voice mail messages...

Yeah, okay...I think I understand how this thing works. Thanks to all
for enlightening me.

As Dr.wireMORE and Quick pointed out, you could get calls to both
numbers ringing on the one phone if you call forward one of those. For
example, if I was in the US, I would keep NAM2 active (the Verizon
one). I would call forward my Canadian cellular number (NAM1 of the
same physical phone) to the Verizon number allowing me to not miss
any calls (THE most important feature I wanted). If I do miss a call
(phone not on, not in service area, or busy), then any calls including
those forwarded from Canada would go into Verizon voice mail such that
I wouldn't have to call my Canadian number to retrieve voicemails.
Call forwarding to Verizon would naturally be suject to the Canadian
LD charges. However, it is considerably less expensive than the
roaming charges to receive a call on the Canadian number. This
solution DOES allow me to carry only one phone around.
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 7:59:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:14:18 GMT, Richard <r@r.com> chose to add this to
the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:38:58 -0400, "jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Even if you're paying for the long distance, wouldn't that be cheaper than
>>the international roaming charges?!
>
>Exactly why I want to have a Verizon number as the second NAM hence
>the original post.

Then what's the problem? When you cross the border, forward the
Canadian number to the VZW number and switch the phone to NAM 2 and all
calls to either number will come through on that. I don't see where you
need to have both NAMs active at once.

--
David Streeter, "an internet god" -- Dave Barry
http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
Remove the naughty bit from my address to reply
Expect a train on ANY track at ANY time.
"God bless the Holy Trinity." - placard in a Dublin parade
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 7:59:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In alt.cellular.verizon David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

> Then what's the problem? When you cross the border, forward the
> Canadian number to the VZW number and switch the phone to NAM 2 and all
> calls to either number will come through on that. I don't see where you
> need to have both NAMs active at once.

That costs airtime plus long distance to Canada, which last time I checked
was 20c/min if you don't have a plan that includes LD to Canada. Could get
expensive.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
"someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 3:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote
>
> I would call forward my Canadian cellular number (NAM1 of the
> same physical phone) to the Verizon number allowing me to not miss
> any calls (THE most important feature I wanted). If I do miss a call
> (phone not on, not in service area, or busy), then any calls including
> those forwarded from Canada would go into Verizon voice mail such that
> I wouldn't have to call my Canadian number to retrieve voicemails.

errr, ummm, careful here. You should check with the canadian service
or experiment. I don't know exactly how the call forwarding behaves.
I suppose it could be any of the following:

(keep in mind that, in general, calls go to VM after a certain number
of rings. Actually it's usually not strictly the number of rings but a
fixed amount of time. Rings can be played locally and independently
on both ends of a connection. For example the person in Europe
hears the European ring tone while you hear the US ring tone in the
US. Also saves having to set up the voice path until the called party
picks up.

1) If call forwarding is enabled then local VM is disabled.
2) Call forwarding is enabled, but if the number it's forwarded
to doesn't pick up it goes to local VM.
2a) It could make a difference on the "go to VM" settings. If
the local number is set to go to VM after 4 rings but the number
it's forwarded to is set to go to VM after 6 rings you might always
go to the local VM.

It would be best if you have the option to disable local VM when you
enable call forwarding.

I'm sure someone has had experience with this?

-Quick
April 19, 2004 9:45:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:32:09 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>In alt.cellular.verizon David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Then what's the problem? When you cross the border, forward the
>> Canadian number to the VZW number and switch the phone to NAM 2 and all
>> calls to either number will come through on that. I don't see where you
>> need to have both NAMs active at once.
>
>That costs airtime plus long distance to Canada, which last time I checked
>was 20c/min if you don't have a plan that includes LD to Canada. Could get
>expensive.

Not as expensive as international roaming.

If I make a call TO Canada, it comes off the Verizon prepaid account.
Verizon's airtime and LD charge is less expensive than if I were to do
the same while roaming with the Canadian NAM. If I were to do the
latter, it would 95c/min roaming in the US, 50c/min LD calls to
Canada, about double).

If I get a forwarded call FROM Canada, LD charge would be levied by
the Canadian carrier (to get onto the Verizon network which would be
25c/min to US) and I would be charged the local airtime by Verizon
(about 30c/min on the prepaid plan). The combination of these charges
is still less than if I were to receive a call using the Canadian
phone on roaming mode (25c/min LD + 95c/min romaing, about double).

So sometimes it pays to get a local number. I believe Verizon prepaid
cards come in denominations $10 or more and require you to have a
used the service at least every 90 days to maintain the same phone
number. Otherwise it would be a another $30 startup kit.
April 19, 2004 9:53:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:36:30 GMT, "Dr.wireMORE"
<Dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>The dr offers: Yes. This is exactly why some phones have dual-nam
>capability. Absolutely standard what you are asking to do.
>
>Setup nam1 with the carrier of your choice, setup nam 2 with the carrier of
>your choice. We've assumed that the phone technology is compatible with
>each provider, and also your comfortable that the namX that you've selected
>will ring your phone, and the namX that isn't active will go unanswered.
>
>I've done this many times, and with StarTAC's. Before there were national
>contracts, I'd have a local number on the west coast, and another local
>number on the east coast. And depending on where I was, I'd setup one phone
>number to call forward, and the other I'd pick up. It was very confusing at
>times, and most phones have this dual nam capability.

Hey dr, did you notice all services that require software were okay
between the two carriers with that StarTAC, esp. with web services
such as SMS, email and browsing? Isn't programming done only once by
the first carrrier...or if am I mistaken about that, is the software
provided by the manufacturer?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 6:34:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Richard: my startac experience with dual-nams east/west coast was pre-sms
(text messaging), and even pre-OTA. Hence no email or web browsing. The Dr.

"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
news:o 94880th5259qhbbrj4705eqkcko5m6io4@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:36:30 GMT, "Dr.wireMORE"
> <Dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:
>
> >The dr offers: Yes. This is exactly why some phones have dual-nam
> >capability. Absolutely standard what you are asking to do.
> >
> >Setup nam1 with the carrier of your choice, setup nam 2 with the carrier
of
> >your choice. We've assumed that the phone technology is compatible with
> >each provider, and also your comfortable that the namX that you've
selected
> >will ring your phone, and the namX that isn't active will go unanswered.
> >
> >I've done this many times, and with StarTAC's. Before there were
national
> >contracts, I'd have a local number on the west coast, and another local
> >number on the east coast. And depending on where I was, I'd setup one
phone
> >number to call forward, and the other I'd pick up. It was very confusing
at
> >times, and most phones have this dual nam capability.
>
> Hey dr, did you notice all services that require software were okay
> between the two carriers with that StarTAC, esp. with web services
> such as SMS, email and browsing? Isn't programming done only once by
> the first carrrier...or if am I mistaken about that, is the software
> provided by the manufacturer?
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 2:42:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Richard <r@r.com> wrote in message news:<u2bu70t0ki69ga4lhf5jmb3bbpldqgh9e6@4ax.com>...
> I have service with a Canadian carrier. I am often in the US. At such
> times, I would like to use Verizon prepaid which I evaluated will be
> much more cost effective than hefty roaming charges. Verizon, as you
> probably know, have no issues with activating foreign ESNs. The
> StarTAC 7868W phone I have is compatible with both carriers for the
> basic if not all functions.
>
> Is it possible to have 2 unique numbers on the same phone with
> *different* carriers?
>
>

Although I appreciate the already tested dual NAM and call forward
solution...

Just to complicate things...isn't there a US roaming plan offered so
you can keep 1 phone and 1 number? I believe Verizon offers a Canadian
inclusive roaming plan for a flat monthly fee. Doesn't your Canadian
carrier offer the reverse, no roaming US plan? I suppose you want to
a US number for US callers though.

There are some 800# that can be programmed to allow calling from
canada as well as the US.

There's also some calling services (Names escape me) that offer
programable follow me 800# service. IIRC the caller dials an 800# and
then the service forwards the call to any number the user selects.
Sorry for the vague details, since I haven't used this service, just
suggesting a possible solution that doesn't rely upon the
handset/cellular system as the central switching point.

FWIW A friend in the telecom business just told me about bigzoo.com
offering something like 1.9 cents per minute to canada, using a local
access number, otherwise it's 3.9.


-----
David
April 20, 2004 5:42:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:45:08 -0700, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com>
wrote:

>errr, ummm, careful here. You should check with the canadian service
...
>1) If call forwarding is enabled then local VM is disabled.
....
>go to the local VM.

>It would be best if you have the option to disable local VM when you
>enable call forwarding.

Thanks for the great advice. I will disable VM with the Canadian
carrier but ensure CF is enabled without any "timeout" reactions just
before I head to the US or soon after. That way, my Verizon number
keeps ringing and ringing. If unanswered, all calls including the ones
CF'ed from Canada will funnel into the Verizon VM...perfect.
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 7:24:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

In alt.cellular.verizon David L <davidlind@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Just to complicate things...isn't there a US roaming plan offered so
> you can keep 1 phone and 1 number? I believe Verizon offers a Canadian
> inclusive roaming plan for a flat monthly fee. Doesn't your Canadian
> carrier offer the reverse, no roaming US plan? I suppose you want to
> a US number for US callers though.

North America's Choice is US+Mexico+Canada. There may still be a $10/month or
$20/month Canada calling option on National Single-Rate, too.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
"someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out and buy
slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows 98/2000/2003
April 21, 2004 1:56:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On 20 Apr 2004 10:42:40 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

>inclusive roaming plan for a flat monthly fee. Doesn't your Canadian
>carrier offer the reverse, no roaming US plan? I suppose you want to
>a US number for US callers though.

3/4 major carriers in Canada charge more than $1/min to receive, an
extra to send. They make lots and lots on international roaming to
offer better alternatives. Of what no roaming US plans exist, they are
unappealing. Bell Mobility for example has a "Digital North America"
plan, non roaming og and ic calls, but rates are $80 CAD/mo with
surcharges and taxes factored in for only 200 minutes, $120 CAD fo 400
minutes, etc. I may be in the US frequently but that doesn't jusfity
these prices.

A US number would help for my American contacts. especailly if it was
a local one for them. So if I get Bell's Digital North America plan,
it would be okay for og calls notwithstanding the extremely high per
minute rate.

The "follow me" 800 number idea of yours is interesting and has many
possibilities. For example, it makes it easy for all my contacts
whereever they are or where I am in Canada and US to call me by having
one number that is toll free (for them). The 800 number fee would
replace the LD charges for CF-ing to my Verizon number. It only
remains to be seen if the cost-benefit ratio is in favour of this 800
service. Let us know if you recall the names of such services.

>There are some 800# that can be programmed to allow calling from
>canada as well as the US.
>
>There's also some calling services (Names escape me) that offer
>programable follow me 800# service. IIRC the caller dials an 800# and
>then the service forwards the call to any number the user selects.
>Sorry for the vague details, since I haven't used this service, just
>suggesting a possible solution that doesn't rely upon the
>handset/cellular system as the central switching point.
>
>FWIW A friend in the telecom business just told me about bigzoo.com
>offering something like 1.9 cents per minute to canada, using a local
>access number, otherwise it's 3.9.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 4:44:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:36:30 GMT, "Dr.wireMORE"
<Dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>The dr offers: Yes. This is exactly why some phones have dual-nam
>capability. Absolutely standard what you are asking to do.
>
>Setup nam1 with the carrier of your choice, setup nam 2 with the carrier of
>your choice. We've assumed that the phone technology is compatible with
>each provider, and also your comfortable that the namX that you've selected
>will ring your phone, and the namX that isn't active will go unanswered.
>
>I've done this many times, and with StarTAC's. Before there were national
>contracts, I'd have a local number on the west coast, and another local
>number on the east coast. And depending on where I was, I'd setup one phone
>number to call forward, and the other I'd pick up. It was very confusing at
>times, and most phones have this dual nam capability.

Sorry to tie into this thread long after it ended, but it touches on
my question:

Has the Dr., or anyone else, activated dual domestic NAM's on Verizon
recently?

I presently have two VZW accounts, one on a T-730, mostly used for
business, and one on a StarTac 7868. A couple of months ago, I tried
to move the StarTac number over to the T-730 as a second NAM, through
VZW Cust Serv on the phone. After the usual routine, I got the
answer, "my supervisor says we don't do two numbers on the same phone
any more". This is in the Houston area.

I'd still like to do it -- I don't need to be able to receive calls on
both numbers at the same time. If someone knows that VZW really does
still do windows, can you suggest a way to get past the next balky
(lazy) CSR?
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:43:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
news:ug1j90ltuucnr7l3p4v3mce8l48o00i6kq@4ax.com...

> Has the Dr., or anyone else, activated dual domestic NAM's on Verizon
> recently?
>
<snip>
>
> I'd still like to do it -- I don't need to be able to receive calls on
> both numbers at the same time. If someone knows that VZW really does
> still do windows, can you suggest a way to get past the next balky
> (lazy) CSR?
>

Yes, just recently in southern NH. I bought a V120c to have as a backup for
both my phone and my wife's. Basically it was a matter of baffling the CSR
until they transferred me to Tech Support, from there I was all set. HTH

SL
!