Anyone looking forward to Red Orchestra???

RedGrandt

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I bought Red Orchestra. It is HORRIBLE. It runs smoothly but the graphics are unreal 2004. The maps are huge and you spawn like miles away.
There is not enough detail, making the enemy hard to see. You have to toggle crouch and prone to stand and run and that is BAD! There don't seem to be many players interested and although i know its pretty new, i think it will die. The combo of older graphics (exact replica weeds and such) lack of detail combined with HUGE maps may make it a campers/snipers/vehicle lover game, but i am disappointed. There is a problem with balancing vehicle and infantry combat. If a map is huge, players just drive around with infantry in the back, while tanks have all the fun.
There are no crosshairs, so you shoot from the hip and hit nothing or toggle. This is not a big problem, UNLESS YOU ARE IN A HUGE MAP and have to fight vehicles and tanks with peashooters.

The infantry only maps are better, but expect to get blown away by snipers who are familiar with the maps.

I would suggest Call of Duty 2. It looks awesome, the sound, weapon design and feel, and gameplay is as good as it gets. Its a graphics monster, so RO may run better if your rig isn't last gen high end.
Don't expect DOD or CS.S like detail and definition in Red Orchestra.

Who knows, you may love it. I don't

This is an update- Once you get used to the cluncky controls and what is happening in the maps, this CAN be a kickass game. It really depends on the server and the players. The infantry maps are best and if you play the tank maps, play as PAK Soldier with a Panzerfaust missile. This is not a run and gun shooter. You must have patience and examine every pixel. You must keep you weapon ready and be ready for the unexpected. AND DO NOT expect to stay alive for long at first. After a few late nights, you may find yourself addicted! This is the PREMIER warfare game!

pmacdonaldii

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Love the game. It is a totally different style of game play than COD2. RO:OST is a greater stategy and team work game than about individual scores and how many kills can I rack up, arcade style of COD2. They are both fun If I want to by for a few minutes quickly I will play COD2. If I have more time I will play RO:OST.

The big thing with RO is Realism.

xgas

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I bought Red Orchestra. It is HORRIBLE. It runs smoothly but the graphics are unreal 2004. The maps are huge and you spawn like miles away.
There is not enough detail, making the enemy hard to see. You have to toggle crouch and prone to stand and run and that is BAD! There don't seem to be many players interested and although i know its pretty new, i think it will die. The combo of older graphics (exact replica weeds and such) lack of detail combined with HUGE maps may make it a campers/snipers/vehicle lover game, but i am disappointed. There is a problem with balancing vehicle and infantry combat. If a map is huge, players just drive around with infantry in the back, while tanks have all the fun.
There are no crosshairs, so you shoot from the hip and hit nothing or toggle. This is not a big problem, UNLESS YOU ARE IN A HUGE MAP and have to fight vehicles and tanks with peashooters.

The infantry only maps are better, but expect to get blown away by snipers who are familiar with the maps.

I would suggest Call of Duty 2. It looks awesome, the sound, weapon design and feel, and gameplay is as good as it gets. Its a graphics monster, so RO may run better if your rig isn't last gen high end.
Don't expect DOD or CS.S like detail and definition in Red Orchestra.

Who knows, you may love it. I don't

Its not your typicle run and gun game like FEAR or DOD or some sh*t like CSS, its more like Americas Army, slow paced realizism shooter with no crosshair, you have to aim tru the aim thingy...... anyway, go play your retarded camping n00bish solo non team based sh*t CSS.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
You have to "aim through the thingy". Indeed, sounds enthralling and quite realistic.

Most reviews I've seen give it an average score and says it's life time isn't all that long. One review said the game comprised of veterans who knew all the maps and just sniped and complete newbies who died from aforementioned snipers.

I haven't played the game, nothing about it interests me any longer to be honest. Slow game play has never really interested me. Give me manic HL2 DM, DOD and CSS (I've started playing this again).

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
In a nutshell. It gives someone else too much "say" over how and when I play a product that I paid for.
Bear with me while I tell you a long sad tale of woe.
I loved Half-life. I followed the news and events leading to HF2 closely, I was one who pre-ordered the collectors edition, plunked down my hard earned $80.00 it and waited through the delays and like, you know things happen. Finally the store calls me, its here! I took the day off, drove 200 miles and got it home with high expections. For three days I tried to load it up and waited for "Steam" to do its thing. Seventy Two hours waiting for someone else to give me permission to "play". I gave up. It took me less than 30 minutes to find it on the net. Three days to download it and 15 minutes to load and start playing, Finally. Loved the game! It did seem short but it was great.
Time goes by. Months later I want to replay it. I again tried to load my original that I bought and paid for. Went alot smoother this time, only took hours to get my account set up and start playing. Ok, days later I want to continue and "Steam" says I need to update. Ok, it took two days, connected 24/7. Life happens, I don't get back to it for a few days and again, "Steam" wants to "update". Again it took 48 hours! This is bull! After the fouth time of this I gave up. Snapped the DVD in half and trashed it. :twisted: Loaded my bootleg edition I had downloaded months earlier and was playing in minutes, no problem.
Now I am against priacy. I want to buy games that I like so these folks will create more. I have read that "Steam" was very effective in controlling "bootlegged" copies. I laugh! I have HL2, Counterstrike Source, and the rest that I've downloaded from the net. It has not stopped it. Its only pushed me to the "dark side" so to speak. I will not purchase ANY game that requires a third party to "give" me permission to use a product that I lawfully paid for. Copy protections like Starforce, Securom, and the like I have no problem with. At least I can play the game. No internet connection required, (unless its like multiplayer.)

RedGrandt

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Actually, RO is the first game i have really been wrong about. I kept trying it. It wasn't till i got used to the Bolt action recock, and toggle prone sprint and played some of the infantry maps like Odessa before i started having fun. At first i was like "What is this ****! It was like getting used to Swat 4 and its slow more cautious pace. I racked up 42 kills in a short time the last time i played it.
I have changed my mind about RO. At its low price, it is inexpensive.
If you get used to the slower controls and gameplay, it can be rewarding.
If you get on a clan server where guys are controlling things, the teamwork is great fun.
Before, i thought this game would die. Now i think it will pick up.
With more folks on headset, and more and better players, this could be the next CS. I still love the gameplay of COD2 MP better, though.
Maybe play the demo before getting this one.
I give this a 7.5

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
In a nutshell. It gives someone else too much "say" over how and when I play a product that I paid for.
Bear with me while I tell you a long sad tale of woe.
I loved Half-life. I followed the news and events leading to HF2 closely, I was one who pre-ordered the collectors edition, plunked down my hard earned $80.00 it and waited through the delays and like, you know things happen. Finally the store calls me, its here! I took the day off, drove 200 miles and got it home with high expections. For three days I tried to load it up and waited for "Steam" to do its thing. Seventy Two hours waiting for someone else to give me permission to "play". I gave up. It took me less than 30 minutes to find it on the net. Three days to download it and 15 minutes to load and start playing, Finally. Loved the game! It did seem short but it was great.
Time goes by. Months later I want to replay it. I again tried to load my original that I bought and paid for. Went alot smoother this time, only took hours to get my account set up and start playing. Ok, days later I want to continue and "Steam" says I need to update. Ok, it took two days, connected 24/7. Life happens, I don't get back to it for a few days and again, "Steam" wants to "update". Again it took 48 hours! This is bull! After the fouth time of this I gave up. Snapped the DVD in half and trashed it. :twisted: Loaded my bootleg edition I had downloaded months earlier and was playing in minutes, no problem.
Now I am against priacy. I want to buy games that I like so these folks will create more. I have read that "Steam" was very effective in controlling "bootlegged" copies. I laugh! I have HL2, Counterstrike Source, and the rest that I've downloaded from the net. It has not stopped it. Its only pushed me to the "dark side" so to speak. I will not purchase ANY game that requires a third party to "give" me permission to use a product that I lawfully paid for. Copy protections like Starforce, Securom, and the like I have no problem with. At least I can play the game. No internet connection required, (unless its like multiplayer.)

Man I feel for you same crap happened to me. I didn’t go for a bootleg I got the steam valve sh!t working, just took it to a guy I know that has access to a t3 line got those updates in an hour or so, but then my problems start.

As soon as I got that crap on and updated, my whole system started acting unstable and random shutdowns restarts and weird stuff happening in other programs like word saving but then come to find out it didn’t save, WTF! I had to format and reload my system to get sh!t right and working.

Forgot this after a long time, wanted to play again, another system format and reload later got my pc back. Now that game is an expensive coffee table decoration.

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
You do have a different perspective than I. I like to have something physical in my hand when I spent my dollar. My primary gaming rig does not connect to the net by design. I'm not running an antivirus or any filters on it for performance reasons.
I have heard some say that "services" like Steam will be the future of gameing. I hope not, if it does my future in games will become very limited. :(

RedGrandt

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Steam is very nice! If i had to have 3 or 4 type of Steam content programs for all my games, i would have them!
I now have: HL2, HL, Deathmatch Classic, Blue shift, Opposing force, Counterstrike Source, Day of Defeat, Ricochet, HL2 DM, Lost Coast, Red Orchestra, Sin, Sin mp, Sin Episodes: Emergence, Team Fortress Classic, and 4 MODS for HL2,- all updated automatically, in one place, and available without CDs. That is kickass!
Everything else i have to hunt for updates and pop a disk when i play.
I can play for a month with just what cost me about 125 dollars for the above.