another dumb question

would i assume ALL new computers w/XP have MSN Messenger?
if so, would the icon normally be in the lower right toolbar?
if not, how would one start MSN Messenger?

here's the problem, my 11 yr old daughter lives in the east, & i live in the
west and i'm trying to set up IM 4 me & her.
i got her a hotmail address, but she says her NEW computer does not have
Messenger.

any suggestions would be appreciated

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

First, MSN Messenger can be told to not start when Windows starts - so that
could be one reason your daughter thinks it's not installed. Tell her to
check Start > Programs and see if MSN Messenger is there, or open Explorer
and see if there is folder \Program files\MSN Messenger.

Second, MSN Messenger was recently updated to version 7.5.0299 and can be
downloaded from the MSN Messenger web site.

"T.L." <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> would i assume ALL new computers w/XP have MSN Messenger?
> if so, would the icon normally be in the lower right toolbar?
> if not, how would one start MSN Messenger?
>
> here's the problem, my 11 yr old daughter lives in the east, & i live in
> the
> west and i'm trying to set up IM 4 me & her.
> i got her a hotmail address, but she says her NEW computer does not have
> Messenger.
>
> any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi,

MSN Messenger doesn't even come with XP, you have to download it separately.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> First, MSN Messenger can be told to not start when Windows starts - so that could be one
> reason your daughter thinks it's not installed. Tell her to check Start > Programs and see
> if MSN Messenger is there, or open Explorer and see if there is folder \Program files\MSN
> Messenger.
>
> Second, MSN Messenger was recently updated to version 7.5.0299 and can be downloaded from
> the MSN Messenger web site.
>
> "T.L." <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> would i assume ALL new computers w/XP have MSN Messenger?
>> if so, would the icon normally be in the lower right toolbar?
>> if not, how would one start MSN Messenger?
>>
>> here's the problem, my 11 yr old daughter lives in the east, & i live in the
>> west and i'm trying to set up IM 4 me & her.
>> i got her a hotmail address, but she says her NEW computer does not have
>> Messenger.
>>
>> any suggestions would be appreciated

Greetings,

Actually they don't, they come with Windows Messenger. Assuming they haven't forcibly
removed it, the easiest way to get it to come up is to have them click Start, then Run, type
"msmsgs" and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"T.L." <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> would i assume ALL new computers w/XP have MSN Messenger?
> if so, would the icon normally be in the lower right toolbar?
> if not, how would one start MSN Messenger?
>
> here's the problem, my 11 yr old daughter lives in the east, & i live in the
> west and i'm trying to set up IM 4 me & her.
> i got her a hotmail address, but she says her NEW computer does not have
> Messenger.
>
> any suggestions would be appreciated

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On my XP Pro w/SP2 system under Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs >
Add/Remove Windows Components I have a box labelled MSN Messenger (not
Windows Messenger).

> Greetings,
>
> Actually they don't, they come with Windows Messenger. Assuming they
> haven't forcibly removed it, the easiest way to get it to come up is to
> have them click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "T.L." <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> would i assume ALL new computers w/XP have MSN Messenger?
>> if so, would the icon normally be in the lower right toolbar?
>> if not, how would one start MSN Messenger?
>>
>> here's the problem, my 11 yr old daughter lives in the east, & i live in
>> the
>> west and i'm trying to set up IM 4 me & her.
>> i got her a hotmail address, but she says her NEW computer does not have
>> Messenger.
>>
>> any suggestions would be appreciated

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My mistake. For some reason I was thinking MSN Messenegr when I was
remembering MSN Explorer.

> On my XP Pro w/SP2 system under Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs >
> Add/Remove Windows Components I have a box labelled MSN Messenger (not
> Windows Messenger).
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Actually they don't, they come with Windows Messenger. Assuming they
>> haven't forcibly removed it, the easiest way to get it to come up is to
>> have them click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "T.L." <TL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> would i assume ALL new computers w/XP have MSN Messenger?
>>> if so, would the icon normally be in the lower right toolbar?
>>> if not, how would one start MSN Messenger?
>>>
>>> here's the problem, my 11 yr old daughter lives in the east, & i live in
>>> the
>>> west and i'm trying to set up IM 4 me & her.
>>> i got her a hotmail address, but she says her NEW computer does not have
>>> Messenger.
>>>
>>> any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Jerry,

Yes, that mistake has been made before :)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert