Asus A7V266E & XP

G

I am having one heck of a time trying to install XP on a new system. I have Raid 1 enabled, and can access the array fine from dos. When I boot from the CD and try to install XP the install attempts to copy some files and then either reboots without warning or advises me it cannot find any hard drives (if I load the promise raid diver). It will do this in an endless loop, and in fact there are no files on the HD's. Also, just as a test I formated and put the system on the array manually, but it will not boot. I have looked at all the bios set up options, but cannot figure out what I have wrong. Thanks for any help.
MB

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
XP seems to have problems with integrated promise controlles.

1) Flash your motherboard with the latest bios.
2) Download the lastest FastTrack Raid Drivers for XP. When you copy the drivers to a floppy check the floppy for errors and make sure that they are not inside any extra folders.
3) Download the latest motherboard manual. The directions in the printed manual may have been revised. Follow the directions carefully.

Sometimes XP has problems installing on high speed AMD systems. Try temporarily lowering your fsb to 100. You can try lowering the memory speed as well.

Also go to AMD and check to see if your heatsink and powersuppy are on the approved list for your cpu. Wattage, claims by the manufacturer and even price are not reliable ways to measure quality. Check the list.

If all else fails try installing a XP without raid. If it works then you know that the problem is with XP and the promise controller. If it doesn't work then you know your problem lies eleswhere

hope this helps