new cpu & ram now lockups

WRV

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I had Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 100MHZ front side bus with 256 PC 2100 DDR Megs Ram on Iwill KA-266R motherboard. I just added another 256 Megs Ram, and upgraded chip to Athlon XP 1800+. (133MHZ fornt side bus)

Bios updated, & jumper changed to facilitate the higher bus speed.

System now boots and operates normally, but I am seeing a pattern of system tending to lock up!

Based on what the changes I just made to the system, any thoughts on what might be causing the lock ups?

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your new processor runs hotter than your old so if you are using the same heatsink that could be a problem, check AMD's list of recommended heatsinks for your processor. While your at it you might as well check to see if your powersupply is AMD approved for you new CPU as it also takes more power.

Most likely it is the memory. Take out the new memory and see if the problem go away, then swap the modules and see if the problem comes back.

Sometimes people think they can turn off virtual memory when they add more ram, but don't because it can cause all sorts of problems.

And of course if you are overclocking, have your bios performance setting to "turbo", or are using arressive AGP or memory settings then you want to return everything to back to safer settings.

What brand of memory are you using. I have only had bad expericences with the cheaper brands.