Messenger & Disk Churning

I found that by using the Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
Components, to remove Windows Messenger I stopped a constant disk churning.
It seems as though Messenger is always looking to do something, and my disk
drive shows the results by churning away. Removing it stopped the churning!
This application is not worth the effort of installing. Microsoft should
stop sitting on their hands and do something about this app.

Logic - When I run Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger my disk does not
churn. In fact, even as I type this in Outlook Express my disk is not
churning...

Your system might need some extra RAM. What might be happening is that your
system is low on RAM and the Windows Messenger application, when launched,
is using both physical memory (RAM) and virtual memory (pagefile).

Bob

--
Bob Christian II
http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog

"Logic Rules" <LogicRules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found that by using the Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
> Components, to remove Windows Messenger I stopped a constant disk
> churning.
> It seems as though Messenger is always looking to do something, and my
> disk
> drive shows the results by churning away. Removing it stopped the
> churning!
> This application is not worth the effort of installing. Microsoft should
> stop sitting on their hands and do something about this app.

I have 1 GB of RAM so I doubt that is any sort of problem. If Messenger needs
more than that then it in worse shape than I thouhgt. But thanks anyway.

"Bob Christian" wrote:

> Logic - When I run Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger my disk does not
> churn. In fact, even as I type this in Outlook Express my disk is not
> churning...
>
> Your system might need some extra RAM. What might be happening is that your
> system is low on RAM and the Windows Messenger application, when launched,
> is using both physical memory (RAM) and virtual memory (pagefile).
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Bob Christian II
> http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog
>

> "Logic Rules" <LogicRules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I found that by using the Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
> > Components, to remove Windows Messenger I stopped a constant disk
> > churning.
> > It seems as though Messenger is always looking to do something, and my
> > disk
> > drive shows the results by churning away. Removing it stopped the
> > churning!
> > This application is not worth the effort of installing. Microsoft should
> > stop sitting on their hands and do something about this app.

Hi,

For the record, I've never had this happen nor seen this behavior before.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Logic Rules" <LogicRules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found that by using the Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows
> Components, to remove Windows Messenger I stopped a constant disk churning.
> It seems as though Messenger is always looking to do something, and my disk
> drive shows the results by churning away. Removing it stopped the churning!
> This application is not worth the effort of installing. Microsoft should
> stop sitting on their hands and do something about this app.

I, too, have 1GB of RAM. Is there any chance that you have an add-on
scanning your WM? Cybernanny, anti-virus, chat monitor, Google Desktop,
etc?